CRB Owners Poll

Bill P

Name
Bill Pennington
If the carpet is visibly soiled or they have pets we always use the CRB. Great tool. I need to get the new extension handle.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Think how much water and dry times a proper CRB scrub saves you.

Add the Devastator rinse and a prevacuum and you’re on your way to Saigerville.

Reactions: SCC

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Started with HOST in 1981 so I ve been a CRB*er forever. In the last 5 years I bought a 20" Brush Pro for commercial and loved it so much I got the 17 inch version for residential. Still have the HOST machine on the truck out of habit but one day I will pull it off and sell it on ebay.

Use the Brush Pro on every job. I remember Joe Polish saying something to the effect that one needs to do something different from all the others. There is only one other cleaner in our area that uses a CRB so I consider them to be my only *competition*

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
CRB, Stealth and Studebaker air movers, and my dashing good looks got me this review today.

upload_2018-2-22_14-24-20.png

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
Has anyone used a CRB (with renovator trays) in lieu of pre-vacuuming? Which removes more dry particulate? Are there any advantages of 1 vs the other? (I.e. less odor, less airborne particle creates, etc...)

Let me clear up the fact that I am suggesting the following steps.
1. CRB dry soil with renovator trays
2. Pre spray
3. CRB agitate with standard covers
4. HWE
5. Groom

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
it begs the question how many will say that using the CRB in residential has directly put money in your pocket through customer retention and referral? spare me any quality of work sermons, who's making bank $$$ because of the gizmo? Retention/Referral

Reactions: J Scott W

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
it begs the question how many will say that using the CRB in residential has directly put money in your pocket through customer retention and referral? spare me any quality of work sermons, who's making bank $$$ because of the gizmo? Retention/Referral
CRB was one of the combination of things that I’ve invested in this business, and my business has climbed over 55% in the last 2years. It’s just a piece of the pie

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The CRB with renovators does not remove as much off the carpet surface. It may remove and bring up more but you may still need to go with the vac afterwards to remove the hair & stuff it brings up to the surface. Or pick with glide-less wand

Since the CRB has no vacuum, in my opinion there will be less airborne particles.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Good question. And I would assume all the answers will be based on feelings more than actual marketing based research.

Use the Brush Pro on every job. I remember Joe Polish saying something to the effect that one needs to do something different from all the others. There is only one other cleaner in our area that uses a CRB so I consider them to be my only *competition*
I am sure that you do great work, however I would think that what you "consider" your "competition" and what the market does, may not be the same. IMHO- Any marketing based on whatever tool or gizmo you're using negates your separating yourself from the crowd, as anybody can get that tool or "the next great thing".

Reactions: hogjowl

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You still have to vacuum around the edges. I think a back pack vacuum for that and crb the traffic areas with the trays will be a good combo. If I am on a job that needs a crb, I prefer to vacuum and use the 360i instead.

Reactions: CJ-FL

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

I only clean a few homes and businesses. It is a side job. I do no marketing. (I don't want to compete with local cleaners.) Every job I have is because someone wanted cleaning with a CRB and sought me out.

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think the evolution of it is, we used to clean with a 175 and shop vac using dry foam shampoo. Then steam cleaning came along with low pressure portables. Needed scrubbing to do a good job. They truck mounts with 500 psi and good heat heat came along and reduced the need for scrubbing. Eventually guys found out that with scrubbing and a good truck mount, you could deliver a superior job over those who didn't scrub on heavily soiled carpets. Whether you use a 175, a crb, a rotovac with brush head or some other form of scrubber, you will get better results than if you don't scrub. Scrubbing is not necessary on every job but makes an incredible difference on heavily soiled carpet. Anything else is just marketing bs.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
I think the evolution of it is, we used to clean with a 175 and shop vac using dry foam shampoo. Then steam cleaning came along with low pressure portables. Needed scrubbing to do a good job. They truck mounts with 500 psi and good heat heat came along and reduced the need for scrubbing. Eventually guys found out that with scrubbing and a good truck mount, you could deliver a superior job over those who didn't scrub on heavily soiled carpets. Whether you use a 175, a crb, a rotovac with brush head or some other form of scrubber, you will get better results than if you don't scrub. Scrubbing is not necessary on every job but makes an incredible difference on heavily soiled carpet. Anything else is just marketing bs.
Prior to the past few months my idea of agitation was pushing down harder on the wand and scrubbing the hell out of the carpet so by all means everyone on this forum has more experience and expertise than I do at any form of mechanical agitation. It amazes me that I can bring these CRB’s into what looks like a relatively clean home and the amount of junk it pulls up is shocking. I can’t think of a carpet that wouldn’t benefit from the step. To be honest the biggest surprise is the amount of backbreaking labor it’s saves on my techs. A lot less scrubbing is needed to get the carpet clean which is obviously why I think they have bought in to using them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Have you tried a rotary extractor o
Prior to the past few months my idea of agitation was pushing down harder on the wand and scrubbing the hell out of the carpet so by all means everyone on this forum has more experience and expertise than I do at any form of mechanical agitation. It amazes me that I can bring these CRB’s into what looks like a relatively clean home and the amount of junk it pulls up is shocking. I can’t think of a carpet that wouldn’t benefit from the step. To be honest the biggest surprise is the amount of backbreaking labor it’s saves on my techs. A lot less scrubbing is needed to get the carpet clean which is obviously why I think they have bought in to using them.
It's admirable that you care enough about your service to deliver a premium product. However if you keep emulating this anal group and you'll work yourself out of profitability.

It's going to be difficult if not impossible to deliver premium service at a budget price.

Gotta give you props for trying though! :cool:

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
Have you tried a rotary extractor
Looked at them but worried about damaging carpet with loose seems or poor installation. Maybe a unnecessary worry but with no experience that’s my initial concern.
you'll work yourself out of profitability.

Labor is our largest cost. Recruiting, training and turnover is also very expensive. Currently I am asking my techs to SCRUB the carpet in a very labor intensive manner. Millennials and younger generations seem to have less respect and willingness to work a physically demanding job. If I can swap the backbreaking physical agitation portion of the job to a MUCH easier mechanical agitation while providing a more consistent and better product to my customers, why not?

I honestly do not see using a CRB as increasing the time on a job very much. To get dirty carpets clean by scrubbing with a wand your going to need 6 or more strokes per path. If adding a less physically demanding step can reduce that 6 or so strokes to 3 or 4 it becomes more of s re-allocation of time rather than the addition of time.

Maybe I’m wrong but “Complacency breeds failure”. Gonna give it a try

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Looked at them but worried about damaging carpet with loose seems or poor installation. Maybe a unnecessary worry but with no experience that’s my initial concern.

Labor is our largest cost. Recruiting, training and turnover is also very expensive. Currently I am asking my techs to SCRUB the carpet in a very labor intensive manner. Millennials and younger generations seem to have less respect and willingness to work a physically demanding job. If I can swap the backbreaking physical agitation portion of the job to a MUCH easier mechanical agitation while providing a more consistent and better product to my customers, why not?

I honestly do not see using a CRB as increasing the time on a job very much. To get dirty carpets clean by scrubbing with a wand your going to need 6 or more strokes per path. If adding a less physically demanding step can reduce that 6 or so strokes to 3 or 4 it becomes more of s re-allocation of time rather than the addition of time.

Give the rotary a shot at Mikeyfest. Next to no chance of carpet damage. Restoration type cleaning with little effort.

Reactions: CJ-FL

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I think most of us are in shock that you vac and pre-spray every job.
Pretty much unheard of for StanSteem

and your pre-spray must suck if you have to wand scrub X's 6 to get it clean :headscratch:

..L.T.A.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
I think most of us are in shock that you vac and pre-spray every job.
Pretty much unheard of for StanSteem

and your pre-spray must suck if you have to wand scrub X's 6 to get it clean :headscratch:

..L.T.A.
For many years I thought our pre-spray sucked. Started looking at it last year and came to the conclusion we were under applying it via B&G pump sprayers. Last year we swapped to inline sprayers, got s much better application and saw a MAJOR performance increase. The Addition of the CRB’s has shown us yet again a vast improvement. Not only end result but the amount of labor needed to get the result.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
What will “shock” ME is if he can do all that at his current price point.
CRB'ing just a traffic area or stubborn soiled area, doesn't add much to the job but 5-10min.

Besides the first investment cost of purchasing the machines, it shouldn't add any extra time to add to the expenses. Especially if it's a 2man crew doing the job

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
CRB'ing just a traffic area or stubborn soiled area, doesn't add much to the job but 5-10min.

Besides the first investment cost of purchasing the machines, it shouldn't add any extra time to add to the expenses. Especially if it's a 2man crew doing the job
At 10 minutes extra and 6 jobs a day, thats 5 hours extra a week, 20 hours a month, 240 hours a year. Hardly anything. :eekk:

:shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mikey P

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
F002266F-114D-4942-B962-D2AA67424CA9.png
919FD5DF-F85C-4FFF-8889-517D5C6A2383.png
What will “shock” ME is if he can do all that at his current price point.

$2000 commercial job done this past Saturday (16,000 sq.ft at $0.12) that’s was a 3 year old estimate that we honored because we do a lot of work them. Normally $0.15.

2 (2 man crews) pre-sprayed, CRB-ed, Tom Conway’s Dev. Wand around cubicles, Erik’s 15” zipper open areas and halls. Done in 5 hours. I’m ok with $200 an hour. The customer was THRILLED. We clean portions of this place yearly and have never had a better result as easily as this past weekend.future work for them will be priced at $0.15 and they were contemplating protecting since it came out so well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom