Garage Door Height?

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I have an 8 foot garage door opening. Do these newer style square looking vans fit? (big enough for slide in truckmount)

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
First thing I can't find the answer for on Mikeys Board on how to get a 8 and 1/2 foot truck under a 8 foot door. lol

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
First thing I can't find the answer for on Mikeys Board on how to get a 8 and 1/2 foot truck under a 8 foot door. lol

specs can be found for any van you have or are considering.
Google saz..Ford Transit height is 82.5" to 110" for the tallest option.

so yes, a standard size Transit (82.5") will fit easily under an 8' (96") door.

I'm going to presume the 82.5" height of standard is by design.
As most res door heights are 7' (84")

changing the header in an existing garage from 7' to 8' can range from thou$ands minimum(a good insulated door alone will be over a $1000 alone) to impossible depending on your truss height

..L.T.A.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Figured it out. Now I get whatever I need but no garage option. So now with the RV Antifreeze, I have to winterize, not a big deal. The PTO is the van of choice for me in the slow cold days of winter. So the board nailed this one for me again. Im getting a Slide In next.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Figured it out. Now I get whatever I need but no garage option. So now with the RV Antifreeze, I have to winterize, not a big deal. The PTO is the van of choice for me in the slow cold days of winter. So the board nailed this one for me again. Im getting a Slide In next.
RV antifreeze ate up the metal in my water box. I had better results with low temp windshield washer fluid.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
my low roof passenger Transit fits
My low roof transit doesn't fit. The door hangs just a few inches too low.
The roof inside is higher, but the opener hardware hangs too low.
I wonder If the door height could be adjusted.

Best to measure the height @Mike J to be sure as your results might vary.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Yes (almost certainly*)
Just a matter of settings up and down on the opener.
What brand opener is it and how old?

google the installation manual and it will tell you the procedure to set up 'n down travel

*you can confirm that by pulling the rope on the carrier that releases the door and allows manual up and down.
pull the door up til the carrier (the thing that rides on the track) is an inch or so from hitting the opener.
That's how far you can adjust the door up

ETA, if the carrier hits the opener before full door open, the "L" bracket (from carrier to door) has adjustment too.
I'm sure you can get it opened fully

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Papa John

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
My low roof transit doesn't fit. The door hangs just a few inches too low.
The roof inside is higher, but the opener hardware hangs too low.

Best to measure the height @Mike J to be sure as your results might vary.
Thanks Papa John, its not an issue now because it makes sense to keep my 2016 inside, especially winter, and the new Truck will be in driveway with no limits. I just got a new door opener. No track it just mounts to the side of the bar on the wall. thing is sweet.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Thanks Papa John, its not an issue now because it makes sense to keep my 2016 inside, especially winter, and the new Truck will be in driveway with no limits. I just got a new door opener. No track it just mounts to the side of the bar on the wall. thing is sweet.
🤔 Interesting. Can we see it.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
🤔 Interesting. Can we see it.
A8526A0F-F0D4-4736-A84F-163164D1FD44.jpeg
C6559972-10BA-466B-8774-B8656FE530C5.jpeg

The bottom black unit is the lock. After it shuts it locks. Plus it has like 15 lifts if power is out. Obviously (these days) comes with app to remote control, and lets you track it if you want to.
This particular door is a little heavy for regular lifts, and can handle twice this door. Quiet. Love it.

steve_64

I'm still waiting on my 30x40 with 8 foot doors. I went with 9 foot walls for aesthetic reasons. Wanted to match the house. It's out front instead of it back.
Hope I don't need the extra height one day.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
When I built our shop I used a 9' tall by 18' wide insulated overhead garage door, a glue-lam header beam, and a 10' high ceiling height for the entire shop. The entire outside walls were wrapped in Tyvek and 10" of ceiling insulation. I also used Pella windows. It stays cool on a hot summer day and is really toasty all winter even when it is windy and below zero outside. I also installed a bathroom and a separate electrical service. The outside roof has a complete ridge vent with adequate soffit ventilation.

Yes, I built houses for a living for a few years before carpet cleaning.

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
When I built our shop I used a 9' tall by 18' wide insulated overhead garage door, a glue-lam header beam, and a 10' high ceiling height for the entire shop. The entire outside walls were wrapped in Tyvek and 10" of ceiling insulation. I also used Pella windows. It stays cool on a hot summer day and is really toasty all winter even when it is windy and below zero outside. I also installed a bathroom and a separate electrical service. The outside roof has a complete ridge vent with adequate soffit ventilation.

Floor drains?

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
nothing wrong with that, as long as he didn't feed you the line of bullsh!t the door was "too heavy" for a "normal" opener

..L.T.A.
Changed my mind again. Im sticking with what has been working. Going for another Chevy 3500. Thats final. Any of them will fit in garage for service. Makes no sense to change. Thanks again to y'all for giving me the facts. Glad I'm not rushing this. As long as the Everest can fit in it. Do you know it that's possible?

Brian H

Name
Brian H

Sounds like what I did with my new garage. 2 x 6 construction with R-19 insulation. Instead of drywall on the walls, I used 1/2 sheathing. It's very durable and yo can hang stuff off it without having to find a stud! I only went with 8 foot doors though.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Just go ahead an run the drain lines then
Put a coffee can over the drain tben cover wit sand call the inspector...EASEE PeaEE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom