Getting started with a portable.

Name
Nicholas Szewczyk
@Mark Saiger, we will definitely keep your invite in mind and thanks for all of your professional insight, as well as the info that everyone else has been providing. Again, thanks to everyone participating on here. Keep it coming. I'll have more questions for you guys once we narrow some of this down.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Don336

Name
DJ Settle
It depends on how many power cords are on it. The unheated model has 2, 1-20 amp and 1-14 amp. The heater is going to take at least another 15-20 amp cord. The machine appears to have a cat 1/2 hp pump and 2 3-stage vacuums. It has 2 inch plumbing. On paper, it looks very good. You are also have auto fill/dump available. Understand that no single cord heater is going to provide you with the heat of a truck mount but it does help. There should be a check valve on your 1003 heater in between the heater and pump. Maybe clogged or broken.

I'll only use this when I cant get there with my tm. Picked her up today for $500. Mytee 1003hx.

When I first puchased the old 1003 I had to run descaler to get it operating. Unit had been sitting for many years. Do you think its time for that again?
20160307_165750.jpg
This time I lost pressure while cleaning. I used Flowade last time.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Rather than running descaler periodically, I run double strength vinegar through mine, usually once a week. Not only does it help to descale, it gets rid of any detergent residue. Check your regulator to make sure there's no trash in there and any o rings are in good shape, grease it up. Make sure any filters are clean. You may have an inline filter between the sol tank and pump. Make sure you are bleeding any air out of the system before you start cleaning. Use an open ended hose back to your sol tank. If you get good flow but no pressure when hooked up to a wand, it's either clogged or broken, you'll have to figure it out. Test the wand on another unit to make sure it works. Look at your quick connects and check valves.

Name
Nicholas Szewczyk
OK gentlemen and ladies. I'm leaning towards either the nautilus 500 psi or a Powerflite black max 500 psi for my portable. I'm still a little skeptical as to using the heater or purchasing the kleenrite-heatrite in-line heater as the source of heat. @Willy P please help me out with your suggestions here.

Also, looking at wands and a 175 rotary. What should I start with? Can I run a rotovac 360i with the portable or do I simply purchase a 175 floor machine to scrub after pre-spraying? Do I use one with the portable or stand alone? Any suggestions are extremely welcome. Thanks again everyone.

Name
Nate W.
I use my RV360i with my portable... It makes for a better clean... I'd probably get the brush head for the RV360i and skip the 175 rotary... That's one more thing to take up...

If your looking at production rates, get a wand and a crb... The RV isn't setup to do production work as in college turnovers or more than 3-5 units in a day... It will slow you down but you'd be giving the best carpet cleaning they seen... The thing you need to understand about cleaning with a portable is to streamline your work and the amount of stuff you take up to the job... Plugging each cord into different rooms will make you trip less breakers... Remember to ask where the circuit breaker panel is on places you clean... Nothing worse then having to look in closets, cupboards, behind picture frames, mirrors, doors to find it...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Line a couple up and I'll come over and show you what a truckmount can do, as far as efficiency.. Then you might reconsider. Really, I'll knock out a few with you(no charge).. I won't use a porty, ever!

My step son goes to school there, it's about an hour out..

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
OK gentlemen and ladies. I'm leaning towards either the nautilus 500 psi or a Powerflite black max 500 psi for my portable. I'm still a little skeptical as to using the heater or purchasing the kleenrite-heatrite in-line heater as the source of heat. @Willy P please help me out with your suggestions here.

Also, looking at wands and a 175 rotary. What should I start with? Can I run a rotovac 360i with the portable or do I simply purchase a 175 floor machine to scrub after pre-spraying? Do I use one with the portable or stand alone? Any suggestions are extremely welcome. Thanks again everyone.

If your looking at a Nautilus, then the MXE-500 would be the way to go..........

http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=MXE-500

Forget the heat for now.

Forget the rotary also, and learn to be effective with a good wand first.

Scrubbing always makes a big difference, and although a full sized 90+lb 175 rotary is something everyone should have, you might want to consider something a little smaller, like a Oreck Orbiter until you get the hang of the entire process.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Once again you bitchin about a portable being too heavy?

Seems like that in good old Hawaii, they ain't making them as tough as they used to :winky:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Unless he is certain that he's never going to need to maneuver that beast with stairs and always have more than one person on a job, getting that do it all portable will be a beast to handle. I'd stay away from the 1200 psi, unless he's going to clean tile and wants it all in one package and is willing to deal with the weight.

Also, depending on how strong the vacs he chooses, a somewhat heavier wand may lock better on the carpet. Personally I did not like the evolution. Too much skipping (chatter.)

The new vac motors are much more efficient (electricity consumption wise) and are not that much heavier. They will provide a much better recovery and air flow.

Reactions: Nick and Maria
Name
Nate W.
Once again you bitchin about a portable being too heavy?

Seems like that in good old Hawaii, they ain't making them as tough as they used to :winky:

I lift it all the time, even those pesky Cimex machines too...

Did you ever see the picture of me in a grass skirt and coconut shells?:yawn:

Willy P

Name
Willy P

If it's the powrflite with perfect heat, you won't need any other source for heat - BUT - you'll need to add an extra cord because the amp draw will trip breakers. I think the amp draw is around 25 on one cord. It's not too hard to do and the heat is amazing for what your using. Be sure the motor compartment has a fan on it or you'll find you go through a lot of pumps. With an inline heater there's no worries as it isn't in the compartment.Heat is your friend!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I love the logic:
  1. Spend more time getting one more source of electricity.
  2. Overload their electrical wiring (wall fire is still heat and good for drying, ain't it?).
  3. Replace pumps often.
  4. If you use a Rotovac, you'll need even one more circuit. Quadruple the joy.
How can one resist?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Rebuttal

Stove and kitchen plugs will power the pump and vacuums. I've found most places have at least 4 circuits and if they don't, you just go to other areas of TACT. (Are wall outlets hidden?:icon_rolleyes:)
  1. Overload their electrical wiring (wall fire is still heat and good for drying, ain't it?).
???? Don't you folks use circuit breakers or the humble old screw in fuse south of the 49th? I use 4 outlets daily and never caught anything on fire yet after 10 plus years of using 3 or 4 plug setups.
  1. Replace pumps often.
Not if you put a fan in the motor compartment to cool it down. They cost about 10 bucks and can be easily wired right in.
  1. If you use a Rotovac, you'll need even one more circuit. Quadruple the joy.
I'd rather use a scrubber than an rv as the rv will kill the water pressure and don't recover worth shite with a portable in my humble opinion and experience. I've found 24 to 36 hour dry times put the ,um, damper on customer enthusiasm.

I'm not going to get in a pissing contest, this is what works for me. It's not for everybody, but I like squeezing out everything I can to give my customers the best I can do. Carry on.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I love the logic:
  2. Overload their electrical wiring (wall fire is still heat and good for drying, ain't it?).
  3. Replace pumps often.
  4. If you use a Rotovac, you'll need even one more circuit. Quadruple the joy.
How can one resist?
You can make more money per hour with a portable set up like Willy's than you can with a truck mount at times if you know what you're doing. Figure it out, you're using the customers power rather than your tm burning gas. Cost you maybe 5-6 grand for every thing you need (including a 175) as opposed to 60,000 for a tm. Having both is nice when you can afford it but if you are in the city, there is enough portable work to keep you going full time.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Both of you (Willy & Ron) seem to have a little bit of a chip on your shoulders. No pissing contest here, Willy, beside in your imagination.

And nobody is saying that he should not use a portable. At least I don't.
All I am saying is that there's no need to make it overly complicated. You can achieve plenty by utilizing the other elements. Naturally, one can Wernerize the carpet till each and every cow comes home. And indeed, will get a few extra ounces of dust out. However, most here will deem it unnecessary and very little return for a lot of extra time spent.

If Willy is willing to do it, that's great and I commend him for it. For me though, it perfectly fits the law of diminishing returns. An over kill. Excellent results can be achieved without it.

Ron, I am in San Francisco. Plenty of high rises, which I have served for 25 years. So, I should have some clue as per what can be done. And no, I never made as much per hour, when cleaning in high rises. I did charge more than 25% extra compared to TM and to begin with I've never been a low cost leader. When considering ease of use, less stress on the back and more efficient work, the truck more than paid for it's cost. However, (do read my posts again) my comments have not been about portable versus TM. They have been about what portable and what kind of a setup.

And you're right. Plenty of money to be made as a porty cleaner. As a matter of fact, one can specialize in it and be quite busy and financially successful being a dedicated porty cleaner here.

As long as they don't make it more complicated than need be. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Fables and myths seem to be the prevailing trend in Canuhduh. Ehh?

:lol:

EASY Willy take it easy, don't blow a gasket. I was just fookin wittcha. LOL

P.S. Sorry Ron, what can I say, another victim of collateral damage. :biggrin:

Able 1

Name
Keith
OK - It's on Keith. Bring lots of hoses.......:biggrin:

View attachment 12704
Lol that is not Madison Wi. ! They might need the porty for dorm buildings,but I would run through a window (3 floors max)..

The apartment cleaning for anywhere around the University is very cut throat and lowest price gets the job.. The way you can make up for that is to increase efficiency and it's just not happening for a porty user.

I worked for a guy for years when I was in high school and a bit after and all we had was portys. We did a great job with a 175 and a drag type machine, it was just REALLY slow! I could still out clean most in my area with one,but I'm all about efficiency now.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I had Mel put a 3/4 hp motor on my general pump and I use it for hard surfaces 1000-1200psi. Would like to find out low amp 1/2 hp cface and put on my portable and get rid of the pumptec. That pumptec growls like an angry bear and scares all the neighbors

Most common high psi portable pumptec pump is the black 354u/356u running off a Marathon m64 1/2HP.........

http://www.pumptec.com/pump-motor-set-356u-230-m64-120-230v-buna-m-valve-4-3-8-ports-black.html

Heavy summ'a'bich.

When was the last time that old pump was rebuilt, lubed, and the cam replaced?

Blue 205v?

Easily rebuilt for a hunnert bucks.

When I rebuilt my last 205v it was loud and when I disengaged it from the motor I noticed that the flats on the piston that the cam rides against were worn do a bit, most likely crating just enough play to cause the cam to "slap" it around and cause the growl and increase vibration.

Much quieter after the rebuild, although they are not so quiet to begin with, but pretty bulletproof pumps otherwise.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
OK - It's on Keith. Bring lots of hoses.......:biggrin:

View attachment 12704

I got'cha back Willy.

COOP_CITY_-_090603_AERIAL_2A1.gif

About a mile from me is "Co-op City", the largest cooperative housing development in the world.
15,372 residential units, in 35 high rise buildings.

Best of all, all bedrooms MUST be carpeted.

And that's just a drop in the bucket in regards to the volume of porty-ONLY work in my market.

Shuddup Papi Cholo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom