Getting started with a portable.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And another example - Ever do an office with a 5 gallon water heater? Fill the machine up, dump in the bucket heater, prep and the water gets..................................

wait for it...............................

HOT! Then you stick the bucket heater in another 5 gallon bucket and you have 10 gallons of hot. Lather, rinse, repeat, without having to use ice water.

Name
jack zerkie
Thanks Willy that's it wow when I purchased the business in 1981 that was it .he did have heater with propane tank and it had a leak. I sold it all. I purchased a Hoover R2D2 unit extractor that I still have and has been great for floods. jz

rick imby

Name
Rick
So Willy, I am asking your full run down... My intent is to gain knowledge for potential cleaners. I am not making statements, these are all questions...

Lets start this all over.

Your favorite Porty is ______ with ___________gallon tanks and two vac motors that are in parallel.

You use 25 or 50 or 75 feet of hose?

You like a 500 psi pump set at 350psi?

YOu auto feed hook up to the Shower or faucet?

You autodump most of the time in a Toilet? or yard?

You also use an inline electric water heater by Steambrite? 12? 15? 20? amp?

You also use a bucket heater 10, 20, 30 40%,of the time?

Does your porty use the heat from the vac motors to help heat water?

YOu use 3 or 4 outlets with 15 amp, 15 amp, 20 amp??? draw?

You have 6 or 8 or 10? porties in your garage in differing stages of disrepair?

You have two? setups ready to work and in your van?

You agitate with A. your 175, B. a rotary extractor, C. your wand, D. Orek Orbiter, E. your Wits

You would be able to clean 30, 50, 70% of your jobs with a TM?

How often is your van parked a couple of blocks away and you have to haul gear a long ways like Goomer?

You and @Goomer and one other guy (with the 15 gallon CFX) seem to be the only dedicated long term Porty cleaners that admit to it.
I am normally just a smart A** so I thought your answers all in one spot might be interesting....

Chavez is looking for a new career path....

rick imby

Name
Rick
No I am going to come up and visit your garage and refubish all the Porties that died and went to Willies Porty Heaven--garage...

Then when you retire your can sell the antique cleaning machines and pay for your retirement---set up a new Museum---Willies cast offs.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
How many carpets have you cleaned in the last month bike boy? Cleaner groupie.....:oldrolleyes:

4777840_zps0g9old5m.jpg

Last edited:

rick imby

Name
Rick
Willy,,

I just thought you would love to share your somewhat notorious knowledge of Porty Cleaning. I organ ized it so you could easily write your answers. It was my version of Mikeys Hotseat.

If Frank (Goomer) answered the same questionaire it would give a great cross section of two significantly different Porty experts.

I was trying to make you immortal rather than just infamous.....

Reactions: Mikey P

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Willy,,

I just thought you would love to share your somewhat notorious knowledge of Porty Cleaning. I organ ized it so you could easily write your answers. It was my version of Mikeys Hotseat.

If Frank (Goomer) answered the same questionaire it would give a great cross section of two significantly different Porty experts.

I'll get to it when I get a chance, if you really want to know.

Mikey P

Administrator
Willy,,

I liked what you were doing there Rick

Willy must have a defoamer hangover..

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
My intent is to gain knowledge for potential cleaners. I am not making statements, these are all questions...

Lets start this all over.

Your favorite Porty is my M-5 with twin 15 gallon tanks and two vac motors that are in parallel.
Only machine I ever used.

You use 25 or 50 or 75 feet of hose?
My primary hose set is a little over 30 feet.
I find this to be a sweet spot capable of handling the vast majority of what I encounter residentially, with only minimal repositioning of the machine.
Perfect for most med-lg apartments, and able to reach the farthest point of the second level of the most common home construction types I encounter (Attached homes, small-medium non-attached, <3 brms.), when staged at the base of the stairs.
I carry a second shorter set at 20 feet for small stuffs or the rare longer run.
Few other sets of varying lengths in storage, but rarely needed.

You like a 500 psi pump set at 350psi?
0-500 adjustable is the only way to go.
I crank it when I can, but have to be careful with fiber distortion on longer pile because the J. Blister shear kit on my PC Quad has to be mounted somewhat lower than on most wands due to it having to be mounted low under the tube.
Looking to check out stock Prochem manifolds on it very soon.

YOu auto feed hook up to the Shower or faucet?
Neither.......Never was a big fan of running live AF residentially, both due to the liability, and due to the lack of mobility it creates.
Often run a poor-man's AF, which is simply a open-ended long hose connected to a sink and simply dropped into my fresh tank so I can do my primary fill, and then intermittently fill as needed.

You autodump most of the time in a Toilet? or yard?
Neither....ripped my pump-out unit along time ago.
I find portable pump-out systems very problematic unless waste water is stringently filtered of any solid debris.
I hope to be putting the unit back in since I think I found a way to employ a simple efficient filter medium exactly where I believe is the only location it should be.

You also use an inline electric water heater by Steambrite? 12? 15? 20? amp?
Why would I do that?
Nuke and scrub.

You also use a bucket heater 10, 20, 30 40%,of the time?
Fat chance.
Nuke and scrub.

Does your porty use the heat from the vac motors to help heat water?
Silly concept.

YOu use 3 or 4 outlets with 15 amp, 15 amp, 20 amp??? draw?
Jew fooking kidding me meng?

Looking to get another unit for my basement rug hacking operation.

You have two? setups ready to work and in your van?
Just one.
My backup is my Oreck with MF combo pads and a pump sprayer of good Jugo de'Encap.
Saved my ass more than a few times.

You agitate with A. your 175, B. a rotary extractor, C. your wand, D. Orek Orbiter, E. your Wits
Only Oreck on residential, and my 175 on bigger commercial stuff because it is obviously more effective, and covers more ground faster, no way I'm lugging that beast around daily.

You would be able to clean 30, 50, 70% of your jobs with a TM?
Very few residentials in my immediate area, better chance a little North in the Burbs.
A lot higher probability commercially both near and far, and my goal is to get a TM at some point, of course dependent on my ability to increase my commercial accounts, and due to the fact that I would not consider this adventure complete without being able to fully experience a TM to some degree at some point, regardless if it is a long term fit or not.
Just something I am going to have to do, if even only for my own satisfaction.

How often is your van parked a couple of blocks away and you have to haul gear a long ways like Goomer?
Just as often as that hAcK.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Huh?

You got a problem with Rick?

Just trollish posts....with assholeish "questions"thrown in to season it up.:icon_rolleyes:
Putting shite like this in doesn't warrant a response

I'm always open to helping start ups and other cleaners needing help or having legit questions.

Last edited:

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
I stopped reading on page one. I started with Ninja warrior with two stage vacs and heat. 6 months later I bought some cheap 3 stage vacs and put in there. They pull like 14 amps each so they had to be on separate cords. I lost my heat as a result. Reading part of page one inspired me. I need to add a 3rd cord somehow and get my little bit of heat back. Good stuff.

I do like having the stronger vacuum motors because I can do a little longer hose runs and not suffer too much. I even run 50' every once in a while when there is lots of stairs.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Sorry to Offend Willy,
Thanks Frank

My attempt at humor... You have talked about a few different porties, Some people like me keep stuff that kinda works in the back of the garage to (someday) fix. Willy at one time you were ranting about some porty with junk parts that you had bought two of to replace two others.... maybe I am mistaken....

I believe you have had and heavily used more different porties (including the more modern models) than most cleaners.

The cool thing is Frank (Goomer) is a long term Porty guy and has significantly different views about what is important.

@Cleanworks @Ofer Kolton please jump in with your responses too--- as it appears you guys also have lots of porty experience.

Last edited:

rick imby

Name
Rick
I have 14 bicycles. 5 of them I have ridden in the last year... 10 of them are rideable with just a little air added...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What works for me is power, and capacity. There is not just one portable that does it all. There are different machines for different jobs. If you are mainly a tm guy and you use a portable grudgingly and infrequently, you are probably good with a basic machine. Single cord, small pump, 2 small vacs. Probably half my work is portable from a 1-bedroom suite, to a 60 story highrise that needs all the hallways cleaned. My portable cleans with a true 500 psi pump at up to a 5 flow wand and has 2-3stage high performance vac in parallel to remove the cleaning solution and dry the carpet. The capacity of my machine is 24 imperial gallons and the recovery is 20 gal. I fill the machine with a bucket or a hose connected to a sink, whichever is more convenient. I use a edic heat and run heater with it's own power cord. 3 cords in total. Gives me decent heat on a 4 flow wand. You have to see it to believe it. Gives me truck mount performance where truck mounts fear to go. Is it for everybody? No, but when you do that much portable work, you get tired of the mickey mouse machines. When people see the sheer size of my machine in the elevator or the hallway, they always ask "what is that?". I tell them it is a carpet cleaner and we take it seriously. They always take a second look and ask for a card. -if you are a tm guy and hate using a portable it's because you are using a feeble little machine. When you get a real portable machine, it changes the picture. Not all portables are created equal, and ALL of the manufactures lie or exaggerate about their machines capabilities

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I loved those big wheel chair wheels on that dirt invader!
After all it had the same 3 stage vacs and pump like everything else?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
There are other photos on mb as well some where. It's not that we're sensitive about portables, we just make our portables as powerful as possible so that we can give our customers as close to a truck mount experience as possible. It would be nice if the manufacturers would smarten up. For example, edic galaxy machines. Good machine, uses an optional external heater with it's own power cord, available in 10-17 gal units, high performance options. How about giving it 2 inch plumbing? How about adding autofill/autodump? How about when the autodump engages, it cuts out 1 vac motor so you don't blow a circuit breaker? You will feel the vac loss and wait for a minute or so until the machine pumps out then you can continue. The Mytee line up seems pretty good. They do use 2 inch plumbing but they try to combine everything on just 2 cords. Not possible and still maintain the right power. We use our 500 psi pump at 500 psi. The pressure is our agitation. I don't understand why people turn the pressure down to 300. 500 is not excessive, especially when you have heavily soiled carpets. My machine is powerful enough that I could put it in a van and with a heat source, could call it a etm but it would never be as powerful as a true truckmount, which is why I have a real truck mount. For situations where my my tm won't reach, I don't want to be using a substandard machine. after using my portable, going back to a basic ninja or edic is like spitting on the carpet and sucking it out with a straw
@Cleanworks Any Pictures of your 20/24 gallon machine? So in US gallons is that 25/30? Did you post pictures of it before? All aluminum?

Attachments

• IMG_20151216_152947.jpg
    IMG_20151216_152947.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20151215_190856.jpg
    IMG_20151215_190856.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 267

rick imby

Name
Rick
Ron, I think you said last time it is not as heavy as it looks. It is aluminum isn't it? What does it weigh? Great straight forward design. How is it at going up stairs?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think they look at the average porty hack. The average hack only cares about price and design. Power & production are secondary to them. Unnecessary expense when you're a splash and dash cleaner.

Real cleaners like Frank, Nate, Ofer and Willy are far and few between in the porty world. Ron looks like he has a very nice unit...machine. However to build and sell one that nice would price most porty users out of the market.

Brevik made some nice units but people wanted cheap.

rick imby

Name
Rick
I think they look at the average porty hack. The average hack only cares about price and design. Power & production are secondary to them. Unnecessary expense when you're a splash and dash cleaner.

Real cleaners like Frank, Nate, Ofer and Willy are far and few between in the porty world. Ron looks like he has a very nice unit...machine. However to build and sell one that nice would price most porty users out of the market.

Brevik made some nice units but people wanted cheap.

This thread also shows that two very experienced Porty guys have nearly opposite views as to what is needed. Frank vs Willie. Electric heat vs no heat, autofill vs no auto. Then Ron comes along with his Monster and has different views.

Also most porties are going to end up stored in the garage and used very little once the operator gets a TM. Most serious cleaners end up with a TM in 6 months or so. I believe less than 20% of the porties sold get more than occasional use. The business is tougher than the Rotovac ads say it is. And hauling a porty up and down stairs is back wrecking work for most people.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Collecting dust in the corner is where they really excel. Ummm the machines not Frank or Willy. :biggrin:

Maybe its just me but oddly aren't those names synonyms for the male tool. :eekk:

Sorry...very sorry...merely an observation. :lol:

Reactions: ruff
Back
Top Bottom