Getting started with a portable.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Both of you (Willy & Ron) seem to have a little bit of a chip on your shoulders. No pissing contest here, Willy, beside in your imagination.

And nobody is saying that he should not use a portable. At least I don't.
All I am saying is that there's no need to make it overly complicated. You can achieve plenty by utilizing the other elements. Naturally, one can Wernerize the carpet till each and every cow comes home. And indeed, will get a few extra ounces of dust out. However, most here will deem it unnecessary and very little return for a lot of extra time spent.

If Willy is willing to do it, that's great and I commend him for it. For me though, it perfectly fits the law of diminishing returns. An over kill. Excellent results can be achieved without it.

Ron, I am in San Francisco. Plenty of high rises, which I have served for 25 years. So, I should have some clue as per what can be done. And no, I never made as much per hour, when cleaning in high rises. I did charge more than 25% extra compared to TM and to begin with I've never been a low cost leader. When considering ease of use, less stress on the back and more efficient work, the truck more than paid for it's cost. However, (do read my posts again) my comments have not been about portable versus TM. They have been about what portable and what kind of a setup.

And you're right. Plenty of money to be made as a porty cleaner. As a matter of fact, one can specialize in it and be quite busy and financially successful being a dedicated porty cleaner here.

As long as they don't make it more complicated than need be. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
It's not that we have chips on our shoulders, it's about wanting a machine that can do what a truck mount does when you can't use a truck mount. I know Willy can and does speak for himself but between the 2 of us, we have bought and sold many portable units over the years, looking for the perfect machine. Of course, it doesn't exist so we have modified or invented our own. Willy found that he had to wire his heater separately from the rest of his components so he wasn't blowing circuit breakers. Not a hard thing to do, nor is it hard to find 3 separate circuits to run the machine on. No harder to set up than a truck mount and comparable performance. I designed and had built (with lots of help) my own machine because no one was building the type of machine that I needed. You allude to a truck mount being easier on your back than a portable, that may be true when using a standard power machine when you have to repeatedly scrub over the same areas to get them clean but there is no difference when you have a portable that puts out 500psi with lots of heat and has the vacuum power to recover the majority of the solution. The powerful machines that we modify and design are part of what sets us apart from the rest of the crowd. Anybody can buy a portable and call themselves a carpet cleaner but when you hire a professional like Willy who shows up with a powerful, hot machine, knows how to use it, pre vacs and pre agitates with a 175, you now have the complete package. Yeah, maybe we are a little sensitive but it is because we care and want to provide the best service possible for a clients, who, are willing to pay a premium for that kind of service. We don't discount our prices because we are using a portable, we charge the same as someone with a truck mount because the end result is the same. Can you get by with an standard portable? Sure you can but you will struggle and hate it. Much better to stand erect and let the machine do the work for you. I would never use my portable for houses and tm accessible jobs because I have a truck mount and it is easier in those situations but when doing places that are not accessible to a tm, I would hate going back to a mickey mouse machine.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Most common high psi portable pumptec pump is the black 354u/356u running off a Marathon m64 1/2HP.........

http://www.pumptec.com/pump-motor-set-356u-230-m64-120-230v-buna-m-valve-4-3-8-ports-black.html

Heavy summ'a'bich.

When was the last time that old pump was rebuilt, lubed, and the cam replaced?

Blue 205v?

Easily rebuilt for a hunnert bucks.

When I rebuilt my last 205v it was loud and when I disengaged it from the motor I noticed that the flats on the piston that the cam rides against were worn do a bit, most likely crating just enough play to cause the cam to "slap" it around and cause the growl and increase vibration.

Much quieter after the rebuild, although they are not so quiet to begin with, but pretty bulletproof pumps otherwise.
I figured out how to make the pumps last longer and your right, when the cams get worn it does get louder. The difference with the small genera pump is that it kind of hums compare to the growl of the pumptec. Theoretically, you can run the general at 500 psi@1.5gpm with 5.5 amps, it just hard to find the right motor. I think that pumptec special orders it 1/2 motor. Most of the other 1/2 hp motors I see are usually 7.5amp.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I figured out how to make the pumps last longer and your right, when the cams get worn it does get louder. The difference with the small genera pump is that it kind of hums compare to the growl of the pumptec. Theoretically, you can run the general at 500 psi@1.5gpm with 5.5 amps, it just hard to find the right motor. I think that pumptec special orders it 1/2 motor. Most of the other 1/2 hp motors I see are usually 7.5amp.

The M64 lists at 7.5 amps also.

Seems like par for the course to push up to 1200psi at higher flow of 2+gpm.

Sucks that something so seemingly small like an additional few amps is such an important consideration to a seasoned porty hAcK.

These Jakoffz think it's eazy...........:hopeless:.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The M64 lists at 7.5 amps also.

Seems like par for the course to push up to 1200psi at higher flow of 2+gpm.

Sucks that something so seemingly small like an additional few amps is such an important consideration to a seasoned porty hAcK.

These Jakoffz think it's eazy...........:hopeless:.
The problem is worse in Canada because we are usually limited to 15 amp circuits. It seems that you have plenty of 20 amp plugs down there. I'm using a m58 with .06 cam. Gives 400-500psi at aprox 1.5 gpm, powering a 4 flow wand. Going to a 1200 psi pump comes at the price of lower vacuum. Unfortunatley, one machine can't do it all, at least not the way we want to do it. I use an old ninja with a general pump for t&g aprox 1200psi.

Name
Nate W.
The problem is worse in Canada because we are usually limited to 15 amp circuits. It seems that you have plenty of 20 amp plugs down there. I'm using a m58 with .06 cam. Gives 400-500psi at aprox 1.5 gpm, powering a 4 flow wand. Going to a 1200 psi pump comes at the price of lower vacuum. Unfortunatley, one machine can't do it all, at least not the way we want to do it. I use an old ninja with a general pump for t&g aprox 1200psi.

We are also limited to 15amps GFCI in kitchens and bathrooms....... I still have never seen a electrical plug on a stove in the USA... Only in @Willy P pictures...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We are also limited to 15amps GFCI in kitchens and bathrooms....... I still have never seen a electrical plug on a stove in the USA... Only in @Willy P pictures...
Ironically, in some of our newer condos, we have 20 amp plugs, you know they have the little extra groove in them, but the circuit breakers are still 15 amps. They do this because we have lots of Americans up here for business but they get a rude surprise when they plug in that powerful blender or whatever and blow the circuit. No Marghueritas for you.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Although not always in abundance, there are always a few 20's to be found in all but the oldest of construction, or in "custom" apartments that have been crudely sub-divided.

The additional 5 amps surely comes in handy, but unless you can access 2 separate 20's as opposed to one each 15/20, which is not something you can count on regularly, 15/20 is still not enough to reliably run a 1200 psi unit with dual high performance/amp vacs, if one even existed.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I don't know why the manufacturers don't do 3 cord machines. Won't work in a hallway but be awesome in a suite doing t&g and could turn down the pressure and clean carpets. I used to have a truckforce portable. They had 2 of the 3 vac motors on 1 circuit. Took 22 amps wide open and 18 with all 3 vacs running with the hose sealed. The other cord took 15 amps. I had to remove 1 vac motor just to be able to use the machine. That was the machine that inspired me to make my own.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I don't know why the manufacturers don't do 3 cord machines. Won't work in a hallway but be awesome in a suite doing t&g and could turn down the pressure and clean carpets. I used to have a truckforce portable. They had 2 of the 3 vac motors on 1 circuit. Took 22 amps wide open and 18 with all 3 vacs running with the hose sealed. The other cord took 15 amps. I had to remove 1 vac motor just to be able to use the machine. That was the machine that inspired me to make my own.

Too much of a niche machine for any mfg to sell too many of them.

With the advantage of the additional 20 amp circuits available here, most 1200 psi machines offered can only run 2 standard 3-stage vacs as opposed to the high perf 3-stagers, or even the new 8.4's.

Vac performance will be limited to 200cfm and 115"-130" lift with most standard vacs as opposed to dual HP vacs which give 230cfm and 140+" lift.

Not necessarily a deal breaker to me, but with the abundance of walk-up units in my market, and the general need to move my machine over longer distances than most, it's the additional weight that is a big issue, but I must say the Nautilus MX3-1200M has gotten my attention coming in at a MERE 160lbs as opposed to most others that are approaching 200lbs.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Frank,
Have you ever measured your Rolling weight? I thought at one time you had a picture of a Mytee with hoses, wand, chems, Orek rolling down a sidewalk.

I know you have said you often have to roll a ways down the street to get a parking spot.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Both of you (Willy & Ron) seem to have a little bit of a chip on your shoulders. No pissing contest here, Willy, beside in your imagination.

And nobody is saying that he should not use a portable. At least I don't.
All I am saying is that there's no need to make it overly complicated. You can achieve plenty by utilizing the other elements. Naturally, one can Wernerize the carpet till each and every cow comes home. And indeed, will get a few extra ounces of dust out. However, most here will deem it unnecessary and very little return for a lot of extra time spent.

If Willy is willing to do it, that's great and I commend him for it. For me though, it perfectly fits the law of diminishing returns. An over kill. Excellent results can be achieved without it.

Ron, I am in San Francisco. Plenty of high rises, which I have served for 25 years. So, I should have some clue as per what can be done. And no, I never made as much per hour, when cleaning in high rises. I did charge more than 25% extra compared to TM and to begin with I've never been a low cost leader. When considering ease of use, less stress on the back and more efficient work, the truck more than paid for it's cost. However, (do read my posts again) my comments have not been about portable versus TM. They have been about what portable and what kind of a setup.

And you're right. Plenty of money to be made as a porty cleaner. As a matter of fact, one can specialize in it and be quite busy and financially successful being a dedicated porty cleaner here.

As long as they don't make it more complicated than need be. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

What Ron said. Yes, I do take an extra 2 or 3 minutes setting up my heater and wrapping it up - well worth the returns I get in both quality of workmanship as well as time saved with the wanding as the greasy mess melts easier and my job gets done faster.We can agree tap hot water cleans better than cold, hotter water cleans even better correct?It's neither complicated nor a time loss, but more of a time saver as I see it. Yesterday I did 2 suites at a high rise apartment building I do work in. 1 hour and 14 minutes from pull in to pull out, an invoice for $210 . I'm very efficient and use the best tools I have at my disposal to do the best job I'm capable of for my customers.WITHOUT ONE "WALL FIRE":biggrin::eekk: - that would happen because of faulty wiring, not electrical use. The way I do things separates me from the herd and gives me a leg up on the competition.

No chips on my shoulder Ofer, but if you put out specious comments ( like electric wall fires:icon_rolleyes:) expect to get called on that.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
LOL

I'd like to know if there are any studies linking brain damage and cold weather. Ummm jus sayin. :pig:

http://besidethetrail.ca/hatsnhospi...-do-americans-think-canadians-live-in-igloos/

You do realize that where I live has a much warmer winter than Kansass, don't you? Not even 1 inch of snow this year.....lots of rain though.

And that is a BEAST

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not that I'm that hopeful.
But why the hell not

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_dYfwLFlB9BtYeoR2kZiQIVxttr-w9EdY085T_uv4BdY6rihdLg.png

6a0120a9506f8e970b01347fe72626970c-pi.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3z16f3O5eX0Hl2aEgfVMpy5FTBFQeivyaqGYbUHVnGfU7Zpsymw.jpg

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Having not tried the system, I can't expect much more than that.:dejection:
"The clients’ best interest is always first and foremost. Even if it means that we’ll make less money." I totally agree with that statement, so I take a few minutes to be sure the carpet gets as clean as possible. I suppose the extra 2 or 3 minutes might be burdensome to some, but increased efficiency pays a dividend to both me and my customer. Now a couple of small but salient points-
Would you agree that carpet cleaned with higher temperatures is less likely to have a bacterial count equal to carpet cleaned with 120 degree tap water - if it is that hot by the time it hits the carpet?
Do greasy soils come out easier with tap or heated water?
Do chemicals become more molecularity active with increased heat and work better?
Those facts don't diminish my returns , they improve them.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
First I'd like to congratulate you on your diligence. You the man William.

"Now a couple of small but salient points-
Would you agree that carpet cleaned with higher temperatures is less likely to have a bacterial count equal to carpet cleaned with 120 degree tap water - if it is that hot by the time it hits the carpet?"-
Phobia. Usually not an issue. See law of diminishing return.

"-Do greasy soils come out easier with tap or heated water?" Yes. Though it will do just fine otherwise. See law of diminishing return.

"Do chemicals become more molecularity active with increased heat and work better?" -Yes. Come on Willy, surely by now you know the drill. Repeat after me- The law of diminishing return.

"Those facts don't diminish my returns , they improve them."

images-q-tbn-and9gcr3z16f3o5ex0hl2aegfvmpy5ftbfqeivyaqgybuhvngfu7zpsymw-jpg.12778.jpg

sisyphean-toil-6768014.jpg

Jokes aside. If the person chooses to do all that, no doubt they will achieve superior cleaning results.
That is, of course, if they give absolutely did·dly-squat about the law of......:winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Willy P

Name
Willy P
So in a weird way, you're agreeing with my 3 points. So adding those three features improve the job I'm doing. .....

Squirrel-Spider_zpsqccl9psm.jpg

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have the EDIC 500 psi with the heater great unit. Works well with the heat , a 175 rotary will be very important for really dirty carpets. The EDIC is hard to pull up the stairs if your over 5-10 in height do to the low handle profile. jz.
we've being losing sight of what the original thread asked. Jack likes his EDIC GALAXY 500 psi. What's nice about the EDIC machines is you can buy an optional heater with it's own separate power cord and it fits on a bracket on the rear of the machine. Makes the machine easier to work on when necessary and you can choose to use the machine with or with out heat. Good warranty as well.

Reactions: Nick and Maria

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They had an EDIC at Mikeyfest in Aptos. It did pretty good with the heater. I don't think it was the 500 psi model.

Find the box you like, most components are the same. Buy the one you like and prepare for a life of mediocrity with a portable. Well unless your name is Willy or Frank. They can out clean us all. :shifty:

Just kiddin. Portables have their place in this business. Uhh huh sitting in the corner collecting dust!

:lol:

Name
jack zerkie
Todays units are great 30yrs past I had a unit steamex? that put out more water than it could recover and left the carpets wet and still dirty and the chems were yuk. Today a big difference so just enjoy the tools you have to work with. jz.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And today I'm reminded why my heating system helps. Got to my first job and after 3 showers, a load of laundry and a dishwasher going the water was barely luke warm. Filled my tank, stuck in a bucket heater, hooked up my heater, sprayed and scrubbed. By the time I started I had piping hot water.:clap: It's all good. Even got a 20 buck tip:biggrin:.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
we've being losing sight of what the original thread asked.
Hell no.
We haven't.

Its just that Willy has so many triggers to pull.
And you never know what the response would be.
So, can you blame us for trying to pull them all?

Willy. A porty hack or saint?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom