Green glides?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Do you guys prefer the slotted, or hybrid type with slots and small holes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Without being judgmental on the idiocy of skipping proper pre-vacuuming........

The glide syle you choose is at least partially dependent on the efficacy of your pre-vacuuming.

Thorough prevac = Hole glide = best water recovery
quick partial prevac = Hybrid glide = less water recovery, more forgiving with missed large particles
No prevac = Slot Glide = least water recovery, most forgiving with large dry soils missed by not vacuuming

If you don't pre-vacuum, then the hole glide will be problematic, and even the hybrid will give you some problems. Otherwise, the hole configuration will yield the best results.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I clean such a mix of high end residential all the way to grungy slumlord college housing. I rarely pull my vacuum from the van because I work alone. My wife is great at having the residential custies vacuum prior to my arrival but the college kids are very different. I'm running a 20HP Roots blower #45 and moving to a 14 inch Westpak wand with 4 jets and a 1.75" tube. The guy at Westpak said Greenglide makes a great fitting glide for their wands ($140 extra).

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I clean such a mix of high end residential all the way to grungy slumlord college housing. I rarely pull my vacuum from the van because I work alone. My wife is great at having the residential custies vacuum prior to my arrival but the college kids are very different. I'm running a 20HP Roots blower #45 and moving to a 14 inch Westpak wand with 4 jets and a 1.75" tube. The guy at Westpak said Greenglide makes a great fitting glide for their wands ($140 extra).

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

My problem with customers pre vacuuming is this: it is never good enough!

I always vacuum every single job and definitely fill up canisters with dust, powder, hair etc..

If we want to do a good job and guarantee our work to be first class, how can I rely on a customer's ability or willingness to spend time and complete such an important step in a professional cleaning process?
How can we guarantee that there will be no vicking from the tons of powder and dust that "they" didn't vacuum out and is now returning? You know it is not going to be "their" fault that the carpet looks like crap after YOU just cleaned it... It is your job to vacuum properly and make sure you KNOW that it is done right so you can introduce moisture to the fabric!

It is regularly happening that the custy just vacuumed as we get there and now we fill up our vacuum cleaner twice...

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
If you can- go with a wand that is 2" tube all the way!!

I ordered a wand with a 1.75" tube that will accept my current 1.5" whip lead inside of it but I'm open to changing to 2" so it's compatable with that too. I started cleaning in '99 and have always used a 1.5" but maybe I don't know what I'm missing? I do work alone but am only 37 and not afraid of a little work. I also ordered a green glide (hybrid slots) to go on it. The only glide I've ever used sits in my truck all the time because it didn't fit my wand right. Anyway... I've been doing things "my way" long enough that I'm feeling the need to get on here more and mix it up with some guys who are also pros who take their craft seriously. I have much to learn and appreciate the advice.

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I ordered a wand with a 1.75" tube that will accept my current 1.5" whip lead inside of it but I'm open to changing to 2" so it's compatable with that too. I started cleaning in '99 and have always used a 1.5" but maybe I don't know what I'm missing? I do work alone but am only 37 and not afraid of a little work. I also ordered a green glide (hybrid slots) to go on it. The only glide I've ever used sits in my truck all the time because it didn't fit my wand right. Anyway... I've been doing things "my way" long enough that I'm feeling the need to get on here more and mix it up with some guys who are also pros who take their craft seriously. I have much to learn and appreciate the advice.

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

Get rid of the whip....pointless. Go with 2"vac hose all the way to the wand. Even if you keep your skinny tube wand you can still connect the 2" hose by changing out the cuff.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Get rid of the whip....pointless. Go with 2"vac hose all the way to the wand. Even if you keep your skinny tube wand you can still connect the 2" hose by changing out the cuff.

Now you got me second guessing myself...I live 2.5 hours from the closest distributor so I can't demo anything. The guy at Westpak said the biggest complaint about the 2" tube is its a little harder on your hands if you're a normal size guy (5'9" here). Maybe I will try the 2" hose to wand and see what happens...thanks.

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

Name
BradFenstermaker
Russ I like the Slot and then the Hybrid. Use the Westpak and also the 1.5 with 2in vac straight to the wand. You may find that its good to carry both Wands on the Truck.

I always have 2 wands, if a break happens just go another wand. Keep the whip hose around and use it when Dry times are not that critical. You will feel a little muscle worked from the 2 inch wand at first.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Russ I like the Slot and then the Hybrid. Use the Westpak and also the 1.5 with 2in vac straight to the wand. You may find that its good to carry both Wands on the Truck.

I always have 2 wands, if a break happens just go another wand. Keep the whip hose around and use it when Dry times are not that critical. You will feel a little muscle worked from the 2 inch wand at first.

The Westpak I just ordered has a 1.75" tube. You guys have me thinking of calling them back in the morning and changing my order to a 2". The guy at Westpak was really helpful. He said the 1.75" would fit both 1.5 and 2" hoses. But I know I'm missing a bit of suction by not going with the full 2". I think my indecisiveness may have lead him to suggest this versatile wand to me. It's hard being 2.5 hours from the nearest retailer. I just know how much time will be spent with my new wand...

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I use a quad jet prochem Its 1 3/4 with a holed glide, on vacant's and wide open spaces usually a prochem ti 6 jet 2 inch tube with a holed glide.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The reason the 2 inch would be harder on your hands is if you don't have a glide.
My 2 inch wand is 2 lbs lighter then my 1.75 inch wand.

The opening or surface area of a bigger wand say a12 inch compared to 14 inch, the 14 inch is going to be harder to push because it will lock down on the carpet more.
The glide will help with drying and lockdown.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The reason the 2 inch would be harder on your hands is if you don't have a glide.
My 2 inch wand is 2 lbs lighter then my 1.75 inch wand.

The opening or surface area of a bigger wand say a12 inch compared to 14 inch, the 14 inch is going to be harder to push because it will lock down on the carpet more.
The glide will help with drying and lockdown.

It can also be harder to get your hand around a 2" tube to the valve trigger. You may have only a few finger tips left to trigger the wand leading to chronic conditions. Such as: trigger finger and ligament damage from years of repetitive motion.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It can also be harder to get your hand around a 2" tube to the valve trigger. You may have only a few finger tips left to trigger the wand leading to chronic conditions. Such as: trigger finger and ligament damage from years of repetitive motion.

I already have some trouble with my fingers. They lock closed sometimes...it makes my wife nauseous

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I already have some trouble with my fingers. They lock closed sometimes...it makes my wife nauseous 

Russ Terhaar
Office 515-494-9494
Cell 515-370-2214

I had the some problem. So, I invented a truly ergonomic wand valve. It's much better for hands than anything else available and gives a much better arm movement that is adjustable. I have been using it for the last year and 1/2. Watch for it this summer.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
or go with a rotovac 360i on residential its light and does more of the work for you, or get a ergo wand like Dave.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
The holes dry the fastest, the slots the slowest. However the larger the machine it's hooked to the less difference it makes in dry times....huge difference with a small porty, virtually no difference with a big TM with a #5 or 6 blower.
The holes push the easiest. Slot the hardest. It is like the above scenario but opposite for pushability. The bigger the machine the more difference the configuration makes for pushability.
The holes don't pick up debris any bigger than a frog freckle. The hybrid picks up debris about up to the size of a sunflower seed. The slot picks up the most debris. Hole is popular with religious pre-vaccumers and guys doing rugs and high end residential or commercial offices which aren't filthy and staff vacs before them. Slot is popular with guys who don't pre-vac especially guys doing a lot of apartments and restaurants where debris is an issue.
The slot gives the most traditional wand lip agitation, the holes the least. All relative because a bar of virgin Teflon is not an extremely good agitation device.
The slot is probably the most popular....because, face it, we have a lot of non-vac hacks in the industry.
Take care,
Lisa

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I ordered the "hybrid" from Green glides. I clean a lot of apartments and can't spend a half hour vacuuming before I clean. The slots on the hybrid are very small so I think it's the right compromise for me.

Russ Terhaar

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks John. I appreciate that offer for a discounted 2" vac hose you gave me earlier. I'll call tomorrow with an order. Looking forward to stepping up my game a little...

Russ Terhaar

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
won't go wrong with the hybrid. Its a good glide configuration. If you want to find out just how well they work, try using the new wand without the glide and then attach it.

The 2" wands are harder on the wrists. Need to design a more wrist neutral handle for these wands. I'll need to call Westpac.

Zee, you'll have to be careful with your comments about vacuuming, everyone will be thinking its me posting under your name:lol:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
After many years using a crappy 1.5" tubed wand, I got a 2" and never looked back. My personal favorite is the Prochem Titanium, with the Greenhorn/CMP 14" a close second. I don't have big hands and I never had a problem with the larger diameter tube.

Take care,
Lisa

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
won't go wrong with the hybrid. Its a good glide configuration. If you want to find out just how well they work, try using the new wand without the glide and then attach it.

The 2" wands are harder on the wrists. Need to design a more wrist neutral handle for these wands.

I already designed a more ergonomic wand valve a year and 1/2 ago. Production this summer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom