Larry Cobb- question with pictures

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
10 minutes ago we opened a brand new bucket of powermax..it had weird brown or very dark red chunks on the top. I decided to dig deeper and started transferring the whole bucket into another empty one... All the way to the bottom it was consistently chunky with clumps of the brownish blackish stuff.

I purposely included the batch number on the bucket. Because we finished up another bucket with the same numbers on it and that whole bucket worked great and looked good and smooth.

What should we expect using this? Should we not use it at all? Thoughts?

View attachment 1842 View attachment 1843

View attachment 1841

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I wanted to place an order today...but truly I am becoming a bit afraid to buy buckets of this inconsistent stuff...

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I think he sent you chicken and waffles seasoning by mistake.

Maybe he did...it sure looks weird...as you stir it around, the dark substance breaks up and spreads..

Anyone else got some like this?

Powermax used to only have orange/yellow clumps in it..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I wanted to place an order today...but truly I am becoming a bit afraid to buy buckets of this inconsistent stuff...

Inconsistency is the problem with most bathtub gin outfits ..they don't have a "genuine" QC tech on staff like the large chem manufactures

maybe Cobby needs to tell Bubba to throw some old shower heads and disc brake parts in the cement mixer so it mixes bedder .

and run it a littel longer....hmmm..maybe that's the problem ??
ever since S&G ceased to be a board de jour juice and is no longer "on the air" everyday here, (Cobby's only de jour rival)
Cobby moved into the board De Jour spot by default
That means his sales are up and can only run the cement mixer so long before the next batch needs to go in

it's a manufacturing thing ...when demand and orders are high, QC goes down ..cause you gotta get the chit out the door

BTW, this all speculation on my part ('cept the manufacturing comment, cause i been there/done that and noze how it goes)

I'm sure Cobmeister will be along to give a us a "well formulated" answer

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I just got and opened batch #1213 today.........not the fluffy stuff I am used to seeing...it has gone back to the sandy type texture.......put it to work tomorrow and see how it does.....

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I just got and opened batch #1213 today.........not the fluffy stuff I am used to seeing...it has gone back to the sandy type texture.......put it to work tomorrow and see how it does.....

Guess I should go check mine.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
that bucket looks strange for sure. I must have been pretty lucky. All 50 or so buckets of the stuff I have bought have been good.

On a second note: I don't believe you guys realize how much product larry actually sells. He is not a garage type manufacturer at all. He actually supplies one of the larger franchises that private label his product as their own.

I have acutally spoken to larry personally and told him to stay away from these boards. For the very very small percentage of business he receives from them, he receives and very high percentage of grief from people about his products

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
that bucket looks strange for sure. I must have been pretty lucky. All 50 or so buckets of the stuff I have bought have been good.

On a second note: I don't believe you guys realize how much product larry actually sells. He is not a garage type manufacturer at all. He actually supplies one of the larger franchises that private label his product as their own.

I have acutally spoken to larry personally and told him to stay away from these boards. For the very very small percentage of business he receives from them, he receives and very high percentage of grief from people about his products

So just because we are a small percentage of his sales we should just accept the fact that powermax has always been inconsistent? That doesn't make sense...

I love this stuff more than any other prespray- when it works.

Also if he really is such a big business and supplies zerorez etc, how come he has so many issues with such a small number of us?? Don't you think he should have gotten down how to mix it right if he is selling sooooo much?

As far as him staying away- it will only hurt him if he doesn't have the feedback from some of the best in the industry. That is from a board like this.. it will only push a manufacturer to be on his toes and provide continued improvements to his products by participating.

because you "got lucky" with your buckets working well,....are you saying you would not be saying anything if you got bad buckets? Would you just toss it aside and accept it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Martin

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I've been using powermax for a month or so now and I like it. I learned about it from this board. I called and talked to Larry before I ordered and he seems like a knowledgable nice guy. His posts are informative.

BUT I have to admit I am perplexed as to why he doesnt answer posts when they are questioning his products. I've seen posts asking about his labeling. Now this one with pictures and it even has his NAME on it. I see other posts he made after this post went up so I'm very doubtful he's not seen this thread. Really strange cuz he certainly jumps on all those other posts in a hurry. I totally get ignoring posts that are just there for causing trouble but I'm talking about legit questions being asked of his products.

I want to keep using his stuff but this all gets me wondering if there is something fishy going on. I'm looking for stability in my vendors.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I've been using powermax for a month or so now and I like it. I learned about it from this board. I called and talked to Larry before I ordered and he seems like a knowledgable nice guy. His posts are informative.

BUT I have to admit I am perplexed as to why he doesnt answer posts when they are questioning his products. I've seen posts asking about his labeling. Now this one with pictures and it even has his NAME on it. I see other posts he made after this post went up so I'm very doubtful he's not seen this thread. Really strange cuz he certainly jumps on all those other posts in a hurry. I totally get ignoring posts that are just there for causing trouble but I'm talking about legit questions being asked of his products.

I want to keep using his stuff but this all gets me wondering if there is something fishy going on. I'm looking for stability in my vendors.

We have been using a bunch of his products since around 2007 and I talked to Larry on the phone before and also at connections. He does know a lot..but he has always been in need of better help or employees.. gotten some of our orders screwed up and it seems like the "mixing" department needs a lil better staff too..
I think if they worked out these issues he could control so much of the industry chemistry needs..

By the way with this thread all I wana know is should we even use the stuff or is it not even safe to use on our customer's floors?

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
cost-effective "broad spectrum" prespray....less need for spotting and boosting...good stuff ....

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
By the way with this thread all I wana know is should we even use the stuff or is it not even safe to use on our customer's floors?

I wouldn't take a chance with that crap.
I've had some PM with clumps and such, no big deal, but that looks WAY too funky to be using.....especially that black stuff.

I would expect nothing less than full replacement.

It's a shame quality control on such a FLAGSHIP product is such a problem.
By the looks of that stuff, I'd hate to hear that this was due to "inconsistencies in the raw ingredients"......:oldrolleyes:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Zee;

I wasn't ignoring your post.

I did want to look at our retained samples from that batch code.

I cannot do that until tomorrow.

The discoloration is due to some unique fragrance components we are using,

but I admit, I do not like that degree of discoloration.

The discoloration does not affect the cleaning performance, but it does look nonuniform.

Our Stainless Steel mixing equipment is the best available for powder blending.

Larry Cap.- Other major manufacturers are not immune:

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showth...-You-Buy-From-Prochem&highlight=willy+prochem

Larry

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ummm he gotcha there.....

so far in the 3 years or so i use it....it has slight visable issues...but cleaning doesnt take to much of a hit....

And yes like Fred said......IT CLEANS A BUNCH OF STUFF....not to much to spot after...and if you do then it may not be coming out....

cept his red stuff.....thats kick ass to

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

I've spoken with Larry too...He actually called me years ago when ICS was the top dawg board
Cobby is an Ole Timer on the boards .
He's been around a LONG time ..if he was getting "very very little" from the boards, he wouldn't be here ..or on ICS before that doing his "well formulated" non sales sales pitch

Cobby can handle the heat..cause he KNOWS the value of having a board de jour product and being accepted as one of the board "good ole boys" .

ask Rotovac how many 360's they sold as result of de jour status here .
As how many HOSS were sold when it replaced the 360 as the De Jour fav

Don't forget there are a TON of lurkers here too that buy
Cobby knows the value of being here .

he also has a thick skin ..not at all insecure or paranoid that someone is "out to get him" when anything but glowing remarks are made .
Cobby does well here and we're glad to have him

for the record, I think Powermax is a very good product ..and it smells fooking awesome too.
But there have been inconsistencies in batch mixes ..he knows that
and what doesn't kill him will only make him stronger/better :winky:

...L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
Yeah..I don't buy the very little from the boards comment either.

It could be little percentage wise, but knowing what I know, it's a boat load of money that he makes off of us.

And like meAt, I like Larry too.

Despite the fact that he does biz with some pretty shady characters

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Zee;

The discoloration does not affect the cleaning performance, but it does look nonuniform.

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showth...-You-Buy-From-Prochem&highlight=willy+prochem

Larry

Thanks Larry,

Remember in my post I said we used up another bucket with the same numbers on it that had no issues and looked and worked perfectly.

So what are you saying- should we just use it?

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Yeah..I don't buy the very little from the boards comment either.

It could be little percentage wise, but knowing what I know, it's a boat load of money that he makes off of us.

And like meAt, I like Larry too.

Despite the fact that he does biz with some pretty shady characters

exactly...

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Zee;

Larry
That should serve as proof it's not a personal issue but one of inconsistency in the product being sold. A reasonable concern no matter who the manufacturer is.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
PM is good stuff. I don't clean very much carpet but I wouldn't use anything else at this point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom