Little help on pricing

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Does $50 per normal size rooms sound about right for complete clean with rotovac?

Just started using one a few months ago and wanted to see what most charge to use it vs a typical wand cleaning?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Look at it this way......If you have a 250 sq ft per room limit, you're cleaning at .20 a sq foot @ $50.00.... 300 sq ft limit is about .17 a sq foot.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Not worth it for me.
Roto comes out for no less than $85 it's an UPSELL
Chris

Name
I'm Rick James
Does $50 per normal size rooms sound about right for complete clean with rotovac?

Just started using one a few months ago and wanted to see what most charge to use it vs a typical wand cleaning?

How much is your cost for doing said room?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
for me i just leave it at my same cleaning price....2 things

1 makes it easier to clean dirty things...do you charge extra to bring in a 175?? or some other type of prescrub??

2. I have a bad shoulder, and a so so back.....using this is more to my benefit

steve_64

You funny!
I also have Taxes, BL & Insurance to pay for Smartass. :lol:

Plus if it's bad enough to use a Roto YOU SHOULD CHARGE MORE.

jus my $0.02 though

i agree. i charge for the work i do. the more work i do the more i charge.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I always use the rotovac 360i now, hardly ever use the wand.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
asking a pricing question on a nationwide, I mean worldwide message forum will never give you the answer you are looking for. To begin with all markets are different. My prices would shock some people in other markets while getting the how can you afford to eat from others.

Second thought though is that the average sq footage you are going to be cleaning is smaller than you think. In bedroom we almost never move furniture. Our average size of cleanable are in a bedroom is around a hundred feet. In living rooms the average is around 275.

Finally, using a rotovac 360 doesn't make you all that special. caring about the quality of your work and being professional will make you a ton more money than any, I mean any accessory that you use to clean carpets with.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
If your average room is about 150sf, I would say $75 is a better price if you're going to give it an above average cleaning. There is a company here that uses a Rotary Drimaster but they aren't really very thorough, ie their quality sucks, and they charge $49/area.
In the end, you need to charge what you need to charge. At 40cents a 150sf room is $60.

pinosan

Name
Martin

Just when this tools came out most guys would charge a little extra claiming they would do a better job with it and the client would be happier.
Now a days almost 70% of the carpet cleaners out there have one; you name it, there are a few brands to choose from.

Being that said,a roto machine to clean carpets is not a tool to bait and switch clients anymore. it is now and it will be the typical wand
to be used in the future. Just as the TM replaced the Porty.

Now, you decide if you tell your clients you will charge more to use what everybody uses.

Just keep in mind two things:

It is bull crap that the roto thing will clean a carpet better than the traditional wand (I will explain read next line bellow)
It is proven that following the cleaning pay, using a long slow stroke with your wand will give you better results and faster
drying than using the roto thing.

the roto crap, like someone else said, is now a days, to be used for the benefit of the operator in two ways

You simplify the cleaning pay by agitating and extracting at once making this a faster, easier to do cleaning job.
You will impress the client with your extremely out of the ordinary powerful equipment. thus increasing the
possibilities to serve them for years to come generation after generation.

Last but not least, wake up!

It is our responsibility the have the most advanced equipment out there to provide the service your
client expects for the benefit of our companies.

If you don't do it someone else will. several companies go bankrupt every year for making decisions that adversely affect
them.

I'm not a cheapo guy nor the most expensive. But I don't make my clients feel like they need to buy me tools to better clean their houses, yet, they do.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Price your service based on your costs not ours.
If you have a heavy ass, expensive piece of equipment that sets you apart, makes you unique, does a better job and your clients see the value of it

CHARGE MORE FOR IT!!! (this is a no brainer)

And you clients will like you better for charging more and recommend you to their friends. It's interesting that the more a client spends the happier they are. Or you get a "thrifty" client that will bitch and moan.

It's just as you would charge for other tools/chemicals/procedures in your arsenal.

Carpet cleaning is a SALES and service profession.Don't forget it!!

I always charge more for the first room. Then I discount rates for additional rooms. The client then sees the value of doing more while I'm already there. Anyway how fast can you do 3 bedroom traffic areas while you are already set up and gain $100 or more on every ticket.

Last edited:

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Thanks for the replays guys. Just was curious. The rooms I do for $50 are not that much area. Maybe the bedrooms have 80sqft of cleanable carpet and some smaller and family rooms are a little bigger. Evens out really.

And for dirty carpet this tool is a must. To say a wand can do the same is ridiculous. The clients are loving the option for the restoration type cleaning I'm finding.

Reactions: GCCLee

CleaningLA

Name
Fernando
Just when this tools came out most guys would charge a little extra claiming they would do a better job with it and the client would be happier.
Now a days almost 70% of the carpet cleaners out there have one; you name it, there are a few brands to choose from.

Being that said,a roto machine to clean carpets is not a tool to bait and switch clients anymore. it is now and it will be the typical wand
to be used in the future. Just as the TM replaced the Porty.

Now, you decide if you tell your clients you will charge more to use what everybody uses.

Just keep in mind two things:

It is bull crap that the roto thing will clean a carpet better than the traditional wand (I will explain read next line bellow)
It is proven that following the cleaning pay, using a long slow stroke with your wand will give you better results and faster
drying than using the roto thing.

the roto crap, like someone else said, is now a days, to be used for the benefit of the operator in two ways

You simplify the cleaning pay by agitating and extracting at once making this a faster, easier to do cleaning job.
You will impress the client with your extremely out of the ordinary powerful equipment. thus increasing the
possibilities to serve them for years to come generation after generation.

Last but not least, wake up!

It is our responsibility the have the most advanced equipment out there to provide the service your
client expects for the benefit of our companies.

If you don't do it someone else will. several companies go bankrupt every year for making decisions that adversely affect
them.

I'm not a cheapo guy nor the most expensive. But I don't make my clients feel like they need to buy me tools to better clean their houses, yet, they do.

You have got to be kidding me a Rotovac 360I will out clean A wand anyday

Reactions: KevinL

pinosan

Name
Martin
You have got to be kidding me a Rotovac 360I will out clean A wand anyday

No Not really, It will do it faster and save your back> I mentioned that as well. But do the test.

Pre-vac
Pre-spray
agitate
and extract using your wand. and doing it properly.

then use you roto vac and see the results.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying rotovac or any other rotary are not good machines

I say they are great but the benefits that they offer are in the benefit of the operato. not for the client.

Any results that you get using your rotary can be achieved with a wand but.....

It will take you longer
it will need more steps
it will get you more tired.

Now If agreed that the wand can give you the same results no matter how hard you had to work, where is the benefit for your client on using the rotary?

Will the client care if don't get as tired?

Will the client care if it takes you longer as long as you clean the carpet the way he wants it?

Will the client care if you have to use a second scrubbing machine to get the results?

Now tell me how many clients have reccomended you to others and why

Because you have a rotary or because you cleaned the carpet better then the other guys?

Would he have recommended your services if you would have used a wand?

Just my two cents

pinosan

Name
Martin
Price your service based on your costs not ours.
If you have a heavy ass, expensive piece of equipment that sets you apart, makes you unique, does a better job and your clients see the value of it

CHARGE MORE FOR IT!!! (this is a no brainer)

And you clients will like you better for charging more and recommend you to their friends. It's interesting that the more a client spends the happier they are. Or you get a "thrifty" client that will bitch and moan.

It's just as you would charge for other tools/chemicals/procedures in your arsenal.

Carpet cleaning is a SALES and service profession.Don't forget it!!

I always charge more for the first room. Then I discount rates for additional rooms. The client then sees the value of doing more while I'm already there. Anyway how fast can you do 3 bedroom traffic areas while you are already set up and gain $100 or more on every ticket.

the only problem Dave, as stated in my post is, it does not set you apart any longer everybody has one. At least 10 of your closest competitors use it have it and advertise it.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
the only problem Dave, as stated in my post is, it does not set you apart any longer everybody has one. At least 10 of your closest competitors use it have it and advertise it.

Then find an other way to set your company apart. Or else it just come down to price. Usually LOW price.

If you are unique then price goes off the table for the most part.

CleaningLA

Name
Fernando
Rotovac will clean better deeper and more constant and brings the pile back up real nice giving it life agin. Then the wand on a medium to heavily solid carpet any day. I've had a rotovac 360 since day one and and a pc ti wand I use both Daliy

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
FWIW, I agree with pinosan. Clean is clean. How do you clean better? There is equipment, procedures, chemicals, etc. that help us acheive "clean"
faster. If your carpets look better when you use a Rotovac vs. wand, then you weren't getting the carpets clean before. The customers pay for "clean", how you get there is up to you.

Reactions: pinosan

CleaningLA

Name
Fernando
I'll tell you guys what buy a 360 use it then say it dose not clean carpet better,faster,easier and stand out more then just a wand .and no wand can can pick up or restore the TL like the 360 . Now if you use a 175 or crb then the wand then yes. But that's having to use two tools

pinosan

Name
Martin
I'll tell you guys what buy a 360 use it then say it dose not clean carpet better,faster,easier and stand out more then just a wand .and no wand can can pick up or restore the TL like the 360 . Now if you use a 175 or crb then the wand then yes. But that's having to use two tools

that was my point Fer. The wand does not give you the results you want because most people do not scrub when they use it it takes forever to use either a 175 or a scrubing machine before wanding.

I don't use rotary I will in the future. I Invite you to ride along one of this days and see the ressults one can get by following the cleaning pie without rotary. again great tools for our benefit not the client's.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
What I have seen is that the added weight combined with the agitation, vacuum & rinsing all at the same time blows the wand away weather you pre scrub with a 175 or CRB. It's the tool and weight doing it all at once that crushes wanding. I personally have pre scrubbed with a 175 and wanded. The worn areas still do not come back like the do with the rotovac, period.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads

Maybe I haven't been paying attention to my customers but I've been in business 18 years and I've NEVER gotten the impression from any customers that they'd like me more since I charge more than someone else. Are you really serious saying that?

Sometimes the things I read on these forums just make me shake my head!:icon_rolleyes:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Maybe I haven't been paying attention to my customers but I've been in business 18 years and I've NEVER gotten the impression from any customers that they'd like me more since I charge more than someone else. Are you really serious saying that?

Sometimes the things I read on these forums just make me shake my head!:icon_rolleyes:

You bet I'm serious. The more they spend the happier they are and the bigger smile on their face when they write that check.

Are custom sport car buyers happier than compact car buyers?

It's a choice.

Some clients like cleaners because they are cheaper and some clients like cleaners because the charge more.

Most clients that have been around the block a few times know that cheaper may be the lesser value of the two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom