O/P Pad Capping commercial upholstery?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I have never seen or had anything to do with O/P cleaning. So if this ? seems retarded don't laugh to hard. I was wondering if an electric orbital sander could be used to O/P clean stiff tough commercial upholstery,and if so which pads or chems would you suggest.
The reason i think an orbital sander would be good is because it is light, powerful and most importantly can manouver in and around the smaller areas.

Not a crazy question at all. We just did about 250 seats in an auditorium using an orbital buffer and damp (wrung out well) microfiber towels. We followed up wiping down the fabric with a dry towel. We used BonnetPro Free Encap solution, but I'm sure any good encap would work just the same. The seats came out looking great, dare I say brand new. They weren't heavily soiled, but there was definite stains and spots. It went quite fast and the chairs were dry within 30 min to an hour.

I'm really liking the way encap with microfiber towels works on all upholstery, and my customers have been extremely pleased with the results. I think you can avoid a lot of potential problems with this 'low-moisture' method.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It is a technique used and discussed here before. Search Garry Heacock . (may have misspelled his name.)

Do a test with one of your tee shirts first though, as the thickness of it is pretty similar to an upholstered fabric. Clean it with encap and wear for a while. Report back on how it feels, any rashes, loss of memory? limping? and how fast it re-soils. Do a few of those to simulate repeated cleanings.

Be interesting to hear.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I use an orbital polisher with velcro glued on. I usually use microfiber towels/pads. A 1.5 qt sprayer and a bit of snake oil. I can bang out a sofa (lightly soiled) in about 10 minutes, and an entire living room suite in under an hour.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
"Bang-out" being the word of importance here.

Sheesh Jeremy......you can charge $12 per sectional and still make a nice profit :p

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Mardie,

Any type of car buffer will work. Most have terry cloth or syn lambs wool type of slip on bonnets.

Works great with a shampoo type pre spray.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ofer Kolton said:
It is a technique used and discussed here before. Search Garry Heacock . (may have misspelled his name.)

Do a test with one of your tee shirts first though, as the thickness of it is pretty similar to an upholstered fabric. Clean it with encap and wear for a while. Report back on how it feels, any rashes, loss of memory? limping? and how fast it re-soils. Do a few of those to simulate repeated cleanings.

Be interesting to hear.
I am sure that their is regulatory bodies that investigate and allow or disallow cleaning products to be allowed or not allowed into the market place for safe use,and with encapsulation products literally taking over and sweeping our part of the cleaning industry i am sure that their has been well documented research in relation to the safe use of these products.
All the hearsay,opinions and stupid talk coming from cleaners as to the long term health effects of a cleaning agent means absolutely nothing. Scientific research is significant. I could well imagine that manufacturers of competing cleaning methods equipment and cleaning products (steam cleaning industry) would have successfully exposed and shut down the encapsulation industry If They Could because of their massive loss of market share.
However cleaners and their clients have clearly embraced the encapsulation industry.
The recommended method (equipment/cleaning agents) for cleaning carpet/upholstery is completely different from that of cleaning laundry.
Carpet cleaners are notorious for stating the improper use of a method in order to discredit it so as to make themselves look good.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I could well imagine that manufacturers of competing cleaning methods equipment and cleaning products (steam cleaning industry) would have successfully exposed and shut down the encapsulation industry If They Could because of their massive loss of market share.

you might be missing the big picture, Mardie
I don't think they care ..unless they're a small niche manufacture that only sells one type tool.
(like Von Schrad)

Otherwise, outfits like Hydromaster, Prochem, etc are happy to sell you any equipment you want.
be it a TM or Procaps machine, or rotary , etc
Same for the distys/suppliers .
They'll sell you any toilet you want...cause it's the toilet paper you use every day and buy every month that $ustains them

as far as spray 'n wipe cleaning upl...it hasn't given us the results that meet our standards .
I can make a pad, towel or bonnet dirty , but the fabric doesn't look all that much cleaner

I'm not asking you to take my word for it.
it's easy to prove for yourself ...spray 'n wipe with a buffer a moderately soiled seat cushion .
As soon as you think you're done, hook an upl tool to a porty (even a small one or spotting machine) and run the tool over half the cushion .
I think it will be pretty clear

if barely "OK" results are fine for you and your custys, buff til your hearts content .
But my Magic 8 Ball is telling me no matter how hard you try to resist it, you'll eventually add a good HWE machine to your tool box

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sometimes Larry is just mean. :p

I think it depends on the soiling condition.

Light soiling conditions, pickup soil, I can see where VLM is safer, faster effective method for light surface cleaning.

Moderate to heavy not some much. At some point as Larry mentioned you're either going to leave it less than clean or you're going to spend more time than if you HWE'd it.

I prefer HWE but on some fabric's that could easily bleed or brown with HWE I will occassionally use VLM.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ruff Hewn said:
I could well imagine that manufacturers of competing cleaning methods equipment and cleaning products (steam cleaning industry) would have successfully exposed and shut down the encapsulation industry If They Could because of their massive loss of market share.

you might be missing the big picture, Mardie
I don't think they care ..unless they're a small niche manufacture that only sells one type tool.
(like Von Schrad)

Otherwise, outfits like Hydromaster, Prochem, etc are happy to sell you any equipment you want.
be it a TM or Procaps machine, or rotary , etc
Same for the distys/suppliers .
They'll sell you any toilet you want...cause it's the toilet paper you use every day and buy every month that $ustains them

as far as spray 'n wipe cleaning upl...it hasn't given us the results that meet our standards .
I can make a pad, towel or bonnet dirty , but the fabric doesn't look all that much cleaner

I'm not asking you to take my word for it.
it's easy to prove for yourself ...spray 'n wipe with a buffer a moderately soiled seat cushion .
As soon as you think you're done, hook an upl tool to a porty (even a small one or spotting machine) and run the tool over half the cushion .
I think it will be pretty clear

if barely "OK" results are fine for you and your custys, buff til your hearts content .
But my Magic 8 Ball is telling me no matter how hard you try to resist it, you'll eventually add a good HWE machine to your tool box

..L.T.A.
I agree that the salesmen dont care and will sell you anything that works for you but the manufacturers of truck mounts are clearly taking a bath on this encapsulation thing. I always see things as (follow the money) Every sq.ft. less they clean is money lost.Their has got to be a lot more money for them to make when a T/M wears out and needs replacing. Better for the T/M owners seeing is that they still need this equipment.
In my opinion encapsulation is ideal for commercial but would not use it soley for residential. I do use the Cimex instead of a pre-spray for very few very nasty residentials and then extract clean with VS. I also use Cimex in different combinations with extraction cleaning (VS) on commercial.
The only experience i have with the 100% encapsulation method is with Cimex.
Note: VS is one of the original pioneers in encapsulation technology. Encapsulation has been a part of their formula for over 25 Years.They have their own lab and chemists.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Spidey Sense said:
Sometimes Larry is just mean. :p

nuh'uh...well maybe "sometimes" I can be...but not this time
it's just my style.
I believe sugar coating is best on cereal and donuts !gotcha!

pHred Boyle is mEEn...he always makes me cry.... thathurts

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mardie, your "perceptions" may be getting in the way of viewing reality

VS is likely making as more or more profit off their shampoo box than the average mid size TM

So a TM manufacture , or a shampoo machine manufacture or a toilet manufacture makes a couple/three thousand profit on a machine you might replace in 5..6..10 years .
The real money is sustained juice sales .
That's why there are very few equipment manufactures that don't sell juice to go along with their equipment .
BTW, the major manufactures sell encrappoo juices and equipment too

The reason TM's and HWE dominate the industry is simple ...efficiency and less limitations .
if your market niche is com carpet maintenance, spray 'n wipe and/or shampoo is a damnfine method .
and sometimes a better choice

if you want to be a niche cleaner, that's fine .
but if you ever get over the Racine Wi brain washing you were exposed to, you'll dump the inefficient shampoo box eventually and start making more profit pr job with other methods/tools ...be they lo-moisture or HWE...or both

..L.T.A.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ofer Kolton said:
Mardie said:
Carpet cleaners are notorious for stating the improper use of a method in order to discredit it so as to make themselves look good.

Evidently, http://www.naturalcleaningsystems.ca/cleanfacts.htm you haven't read your website lately.
It's a classic!

Where's Willy when we need him? :p
I only stated the most common and every day problems with steam cleaning in that chart. The thing that gives it legitimacy is the fact that the majority of steam cleaners don't have a clue what they are doing. I do know that their are very very good steam cleaners out their and that steam cleaning can produce great results but unfortuantley for the steam cleaning industry the majority rule. The odds of a customer getting a top notch steam cleaner is slim.Their are all the pretenders and flyby nights that far out number the true proffesionals. Good steam cleaners should not be threatened by this chart,rather they should have no problem with it. You know that the majority of wet cleaners don't have a clue and that these problems are common with them. So don't try to deny it as if it dose not exist.At the end of the day your work will speak for itself and the client is the one that will make the call. Many of my clients are disgruntled steam cleaner users. So what dose that tell you.You should not use a top notch steam cleaner as an example and just say this is what you can expect when hiring any ol a steam cleaner because the odds are against you.
I am sure that all top notch steam cleaners have a thriving buisness.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ruff Hewn said:
Mardie, your "perceptions" may be getting in the way of viewing reality

VS is likely making as more or more profit off their shampoo box than the average mid size TM

So a TM manufacture , or a shampoo machine manufacture or a toilet manufacture makes a couple/three thousand profit on a machine you might replace in 5..6..10 years .
The real money is sustained juice sales .
That's why there are very few equipment manufactures that don't sell juice to go along with their equipment .
BTW, the major manufactures sell encrappoo juices and equipment too

The reason TM's and HWE dominate the industry is simple ...efficiency and less limitations .
if your market niche is com carpet maintenance, spray 'n wipe and/or shampoo is a damnfine method .
and sometimes a better choice

if you want to be a niche cleaner, that's fine .
but if you ever get over the Racine Wi brain washing you were exposed to, you'll dump the inefficient shampoo box eventually and start making more profit pr job with other methods/tools ...be they lo-moisture or HWE...or both

..L.T.A.
Every time i put in an order for chems from VS i feel as though i have just been F----- up the A-- (not that i know what that feels like but with a little imagination i can figure it to be a very bad thing) LOL
That is why i am always looking for different methods. Looking for the balance between top notch results and ROI
I Guess you can say i am looking for the best and the cheapest with the best ROI. LOL LOL LOL.
Gotta go

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Mardie said:

The hypocrisy in that statement is WELL BEYOND STUNNING, TO THE POINT OF UTTERLY RIDICULOUS

http://www.naturalcleaningsystems.ca/cleanfacts.htm

How do you shave? I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I spewed that degree of misinformation and OUTRIGHT LIES. If I spread that much bullshit, I'd have a well paying career in large field fertilization. Too bad you're incapable of TRUTH AND FACTS.

Ya know Mardie, I was willing to help you out of that self induced VS coma, but I can see that would have been a complete waste of time and effort. You couldn't even find your way to drive a few hours to LEARN FROM A CAPABLE AND WELL QUALIFIED industry leader. Go drown in your bullshit pool, you obviously don't want to/ care enough to be bothered to learn.

Pot_Calling_the_Kettle_Black_T-Shirt.png

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
The only reason "encapsulation products literally taking over and sweeping our part of the cleaning industry" is because most cleaners are cheap and want to be done as quick as they can.

Now don't get me wrong, encap is great when needed, but upholstery?

Did you tell them on your bid, chairs will be encapped?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
jcooper said:
The only reason "encapsulation products literally taking over and sweeping our part of the cleaning industry" is because most cleaners are cheap and want to be done as quick as they can.

Now don't get me wrong, encap is great when needed, but upholstery?

Did you tell them on your bid, chairs will be encapped?
I am only investigating this option for cleaning this upholstery.Much of it only needs a light dusting.And then their is some of the thicker fabrics that i would never even consider cleaning without a true deep extraction cleaning.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Willy P said:
Mardie said:

The hypocrisy in that statement is WELL BEYOND STUNNING, TO THE POINT OF UTTERLY RIDICULOUS

http://www.naturalcleaningsystems.ca/cleanfacts.htm

How do you shave? I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I spewed that degree of misinformation and OUTRIGHT LIES. If I spread that much bullshit, I'd have a well paying career in large field fertilization. Too bad you're incapable of TRUTH AND FACTS.

Ya know Mardie, I was willing to help you out of that self induced VS coma, but I can see that would have been a complete waste of time and effort. You couldn't even find your way to drive a few hours to LEARN FROM A CAPABLE AND WELL QUALIFIED industry leader. Go drown in your bullshit pool, you obviously don't want to/ care enough to be bothered to learn.

Pot_Calling_the_Kettle_Black_T-Shirt.png
Jeees! Willy you sure are the sensitive type.Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.I do like your style.LOL
I did reply to to you in a previous post as to you why i am not ready to make the move into a truck mount at this stage of my business and not that i am not interested in getting one.Their is lots of things that i would like to get but only can afford it as i grow.
That chart clearly states "RISKS" and you know that the majority of steam cleaners are fly by nights, pretenders and wanabe's.The RISKS stated in that chart is common to these type of people and seeing that they are the majority when it comes to steam cleaners it makes that chart significant to the customer when shopping for a cleaner.
That chart will have no effect on a skilled and knowledgeable steam cleaner who is willing to apply his skills .I know steam cleaner companies that are busy all the time and do not spend a cent on advertising.
I am sure that all you good steam cleaners hear the horror stories from your new customers previous experiences.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Other than for a portion of commercial work I don't know a single cleaner in Metro Detroit that doesn't clean virtually 100% of residential with HWE. Not sure what data you base encapsulation taking over the industry on.

Would be interesting to hear from some suppliers what the ratio of encapsulation to HWE chems is for cleaners that are mostly residential.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ken Snow said:
Other than for a portion of commercial work I don't know a single cleaner in Metro Detroit that doesn't clean virtually 100% of residential with HWE. Not sure what data you base encapsulation taking over the industry on.

Would be interesting to hear from some suppliers what the ratio of encapsulation to HWE chems is for cleaners that are mostly residential.
Don't see 100% encapsulation method having any place for residential cleaning and i do not believe 100% encapsulation cleaning is a recommended method for residential,so any figures you may get on this for residential would not be representative of the evolution of the encapsulation industry. Just my opinion.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I don't understand your response and I am not trying to bait you or interested in the bickering going on in this thread. I was just responding to your comment that ecapsulation is taking over the industry and trying to find out what you based that comment on. Like I aid I don't know of a single cleaner in our market that doesn't HWE almost all of their residential.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ken Snow said:
I don't understand your response and I am not trying to bait you or interested in the bickering going on in this thread. I was just responding to your comment that ecapsulation is taking over the industry and trying to find out what you based that comment on. Like I aid I don't know of a single cleaner in our market that doesn't HWE almost all of their residential.
I was responding to a guy that was talking nonsense in regards to encapsulation,so i admit i overstated by using the word "taking over" nothing will ever take over, to shake his cage. However I see encapsulation as the biggest leap in the evolution of carpet cleaning to come in a long while and as with all methods it has strengths that no other methods can match. I see all leading edge carpet cleaners adding this to their arsonal. It is yet to be seen how far this relatively new technology will bring us. So i based my opinion on an obvious sweeping industry trend.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Mardie, encapsulation was being done years and years before I was born by our company and was our primary method until the late 60's, early 70's. Technology within the encapsulation process has evolved over the years ~ kinda like HWE has changed tremendously.

If you do some google searches on cleaning you should be able to find lots of info outside of the bb's and specific industry places.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ken Snow said:
Mardie, encapsulation was being done years and years before I was born by our company and was our primary method until the late 60's, early 70's. Technology within the encapsulation process has evolved over the years ~ kinda like HWE has changed tremendously.

If you do some google searches on cleaning you should be able to find lots of info outside of the bb's and specific industry places.
Ya i do understand that. The company i deal with has been using encapsulation in their formula for over 25 years. But correct me if i am wrong that encapsulation has just made leaps and bounds in their technology with in the last few years,and is now being accepted as a viable stand alone method in the right situations.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Like I said there have been big improvememts in both methods and encapsulation has been a stand alone method for likely 70 plus years in the right circumstances.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ken Snow said:
Like I said there have been big improvememts in both methods and encapsulation has been a stand alone method for likely 70 plus years in the right circumstances.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
OK
I personally see the greatest overall advancements and industry trends in carpet cleaning technology,being with encapsulation cleaning.
That is just my opinion.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
while the majority of HWE guys are flyby night and may not know what they are doing, the same is true for the majority of VLM guys. therefore that chart is void.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Derek said:
while the majority of HWE guys are flyby night and may not know what they are doing, the same is true for the majority of VLM guys. therefore that chart is void.

Where do you get your data that the majority, or even tiny minority, are fly by night? I am not aware of any studies that indicate this~ only blowhards that all say they are the best and that everyone else is a hack (not implying that is you).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom