Operation Vortex/Aerotech "FENSTER-STEIN" is underway

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I felt that way at first as well Gene. They are actually protruding into the tank 1 inch, so that it could be welded inside and out. It also is 2x more material than A/T's new tank legs:
3u5edyma.jpg

As a test I filled it 100% with water, and even climbed on to it to stress test it, and they didn't budge

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
36 grit flap disk to work down the welds and and really rough areas, then 60, 80, then 120grit flap disks to give it a nice matte flush finish, then used a cheap orbital sander with 3m p400 hook it sheets, they are expensive, but last forever under the sander. I use quite a bit of down pressure to get the finish I want. A few drops of dish soap in clean water and use a sponge to wet the metal. Finish by wiping down with microfiber and spraying it with strong peroxide, it's the best stainless cleaner I've ever used.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Ahshley,
your truck is looking great!

what are you planning on setting your vacuum relief valve at?

Michael is correct. The bigger blower at lower RPM will require more torque than the smaller blower at higher RPM. We would recommend using a 1-1/2" pillow block. When your recovery tank fills up and the level switch shuts down your PTO that is where you will find your biggest problem using the smaller shaft and pillow blocks.

you could just set your recovery tank full switch to cut the water pump clutch off and that would stop any more water from entering the tank. only down side to that would be if you are extracting water on a water damage that safety wont help.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
it all looks pretty darn nice. i have the same exact truck and you are doing exactly what i would do with it. i have one word of advice. please look into the improvements that aerotech has made to some of the unit components . the vac relief has been greatly improved from the older one that you are reusing. also the 1.5 shaft and pulley. they have also installed a special flapper on the silencer that acts as a safety in case the pto shuts down while tank under vacuum and help prevent a sudden reversal of the blower spin direction. thats just a few things call these guys up and ask for a bit of advise they are very helpful. and Jeremy not sure if it was you or some one else who over nighted that new water pump to me a couple of months ago but as we predicted the old one thawed out and is working just fine and dandy. so the new one is sitting behind the seat waiting for the original 4k hour one to give out. i will squeeze every hour i can out of that puppy lol.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
AJR, Thats exactly how it was setup before, when the recovery tank is full it shuts off the pump.

Thats how I will keep it, and as for the tank over-filling I will be installing a continuous centrifugal pump-out, as well as an electric operated pump out if it fails.

View attachment 4352

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Aerotech's customer service has always been great since I've purchased my Vortex.

I just ordered a solenoid for the pto and got there in 2 days.

Any of you guys wouldn't happen to have one of those AT's vac reels for sale would ya? :)

I need 2nd sol reel as well, but haven't decided which one to get yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleantechsk

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Man oh Man that is SWEET

Those Reels,

why Ashley their so BIG an..........ummmm : )

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I felt that way at first as well Gene. They are actually protruding into the tank 1 inch, so that it could be welded inside and out. It also is 2x more material than A/T's new tank legs:
3u5edyma.jpg

As a test I filled it 100% with water, and even climbed on to it to stress test it, and they didn't budge

That ain't now where near having to CRAM the brakes on buddy. You sure about them legz?
How much water does it hold, calculate the weight and run the numbers.

That could end up a Torpedo in a Collision if ya ain't careful! Goodbye what ever is in front of it.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
A head-on collision can generate upwards of 40 G's - probably nothing you could reasonably build would hold a full tank back under those conditions anyway. Even if the legs hold the bolts would pull thru the floor (unless you have a mondo backing plate). Just don't hit anyone please....

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Its all winding down now, 165gal fresh tank installed, I made a TEMPORARY control panel by cutting out the old one and making an aluminum box for it, the water jetter making my new control panel is back-logged; So this will get me by.

Still have a laundry list of things to do, plumbing, blower silencer, and 100 unseen things that will pop up with a project of this scale.

5A9B4E57-036C-4B9A-81B9-BCFA99402DCF_zpsiw4jqtmd.jpg

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
i have been following this tread for weeks and really look forward to see how its coming along it but one thing thats been driving me crazy about your project is that piece of rubber hanging from the door. I mean really in the scope of things and all the work you have done, couldn't you just take a millisecond and snip that "nose hair" off lol.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Man that's sweet!:icon_cool: What are you going to do for shelving? You still burning biodiesel in that other truck?

I will be putting a stainless shelf on top of the water tank, and a few rows of shelves on the wall behind it... Kind of like a chemical mix station.

And If I can find a local place that sells unistrut, I want to do some wall organizing like Mike Draper

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom