So I did some testing on protector. You have to see this.

John Watson

Hot Damn, and here I was charging more for Maxim. (Only 1 in about 15-18 wanted the higher priced stuff) Most relyed on my recomondation of the Stain Gardian and a great ROI with its cost and coverage. We get about $.20 per sq. I also use Craig Jaspers sales tecinique by rounding it off to the nearest $9.95 ie: 49.95 89.95

tim

I have use Stain Guardian based on Craig Jaspers accolades. He swears it is the best protectant on the market. I used it with great results except the dry times. At 8 to 1 dilution it is very economical but it takes FOREVER to dry! I got tired of soaking peoples carpet with proctectant after I just dried them! Gave up and went back to Maxim Advanced. Faster dry times and a great brochure that does the selling for me. May not be as good as Stain Guardian but at least I dont have to leave airmovers in the customers house for 3 days after applying! Great info, I have both in the warehouse, I will try it on some of my samples.

tim said:
I have use Stain Guardian based on Craig Jaspers accolades. He swears it is the best protectant on the market. I used it with great results except the dry times. At 8 to 1 dilution it is very economical but it takes FOREVER to dry! I got tired of soaking peoples carpet with proctectant after I just dried them! Gave up and went back to Maxim Advanced. Faster dry times and a great brochure that does the selling for me. May not be as good as Stain Guardian but at least I dont have to leave airmovers in the customers house for 3 days after applying! Great info, I have both in the warehouse, I will try it on some of my samples.

Might be the fact that you are mixing it wrong.. It's 16-1.

John Watson

After we spray SG my sneakers start squeeking as I walk on the carpets. I just tell the clients "Hear that, Squeeky Clean"" They love it!!!

Lonny

Supportive Member
Thank-you for this, I have been looking at carpet protection, and have found it very hard to sift through all the hype.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
This is interesting, maybe i should be doing some tests at home as well...still got a gallon left of Maxim.

tim

not looking at the bottle, 8-1 was just from memory. 16-1 even worse! The more water added, the slower the dry times. As long as you are testing, test that. I did and customers were not very happy with the slow dry times. I love to save money as much as the next guy but customer satisfaction is my priority. Maxim works well, dries fast. SG works well, dries slow...all a matter of preference. I can say that in my demo's the red washes out of maxim samples much better than your test did, I just didnt saturate them again. I think your next test, applying equal amounts of protectant will be a fair test. Maybe Scott W. would have some input as to why it is not performing as well in these tests. I will caution customers in the future about soaking their carpet in red dye, rinsing and soaking it again :lol:

tim said:
not looking at the bottle, 8-1 was just from memory. 16-1 even worse! The more water added, the slower the dry times. As long as you are testing, test that. I did and customers were not very happy with the slow dry times. I love to save money as much as the next guy but customer satisfaction is my priority. Maxim works well, dries fast. SG works well, dries slow...all a matter of preference. I can say that in my demo's the red washes out of maxim samples much better than your test did, I just didnt saturate them again. I think your next test, applying equal amounts of protectant will be a fair test. Maybe Scott W. would have some input as to why it is not performing as well in these tests. I will caution customers in the future about soaking their carpet in red dye, rinsing and soaking it again :lol:

For injection sprayers it say to mix 8-1.

Pump up sprayers 16-1..

I have to diffrent injection sprayers my self and they are miles apart for accuracy. A good way to tell if you are applying it right would be to mark of your driveway. 10+10 would be a 100. SQ Use a sprayer and mix only a gallon and see if you are applying it corectly. If you run out 3\4 of the way you are putting it on to heavy.

Greenie

It's funny to see how defensive some can get, guys it's just a jug of juice, you don't make it, so don't worry about it too much.

If it's dry times and protector, might as well use a solvent protector and be done with it, just don't smoke while applying it, besides most solvent protectors will spank all this water crap you are hosing down.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Larry B said:
Any of you ever do a test like this with Stain Blocker from HardBall?
ditto that.

i thought Hardball's Soil Blocker was the flavor of the month (or year). when/why did it become so unpopular?

I rushed the curing time on the Maxim. Air mover all night. Test same red dye that comes in the kit and I have to say that my pieces of carpet was better then the one the put in the kit. This was after 4 dunkings.

Maxum on the bottom. Pros on the top.

Maxum006.jpg

I was going to film it but the kids are home from school today and you think I could get 15 min of quiet around here? :)

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
How many times must you do this to prove a point? :lol:

If you keep doing it and one is a little diffirent everyone will go see we told ya!

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Some people, Greenie, say that people are getting defensive about this but I don't want people getting the wrong idea on a very good protector. I might not make it but I do sell it and back it's quality. These are test results I've had with Maxim Advanced.
002-2.jpg

004.jpg

009-1.jpg

and that is after about 12 rinses.
As I said it's good to see you testing these things but I didn't believe the results as mine were completely different.

Rex Tyus

Don't misunderstand me. I like CTI's juice. It also has an added benefit of 2 warranty registration cards on each lable. It is free to the cleaner/applicator. You can give it to the customer and they send it in and pay the registration fee themselves. Much like any traditional warranty item. Not knocking it at all. Just sayin I got different results when I tested the Maxim against it. I don't make it, I don't sell it, I don't drink it, I don't promote or denounce either.

My supplier sells both. Just wanted to clear it up. The best advice I could give is to test it for yourself.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
It may pay to look at what are the actual claims of the protectors you buy. e.g.
Scotchgard Carpet Protector waterbased used to be primarily a soil retardant rather than a stain blocker.

In other words it was to enable easier removal of dry soil thus making the householder's vacuuming more efficient.

roro

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Rich,

Are you sure the Maxim protector hasn't expired? :wink:
J/K

Is it just kool aid that it fails the test on? Have you tried other drinks like coffee? just wondering.. I know kool aid is the worst.

Hey... you should make a video :lol:

tim

Pump up sprayers 16-1..

I have to diffrent injection sprayers my self and they are miles apart for accuracy. A good way to tell if you are applying it right would be to mark of your driveway. 10+10 would be a 100. SQ Use a sprayer and mix only a gallon and see if you are applying it corectly. If you run out 3\4 of the way you are putting it on to heavy.

Just looked at the label again and it says 8-1 on damp carpet, 16-1 on dry carpet. I apply with an electric sprayer to damp carpet (I dont dry the carpet before protecting) so if you do, you are applying right. If it is still damp YOU may be applying wrong. Not that it matters that much but curiosity got the best of me. Guess we could all take Greenies advice and breathe in solvent protector for the next 20 years! And you guys dont like Butyls!! :shock:

tim said:

Pump up sprayers 16-1..

Just looked at the label again and it says 8-1 on damp carpet, 16-1 on dry carpet. I apply with an electric sprayer to damp carpet (I dont dry the carpet before protecting) so if you do, you are applying right. If it is still damp YOU may be applying wrong. Not that it matters that much but curiosity got the best of me. Guess we could all take Greenies advice and breathe in solvent protector for the next 20 years! And you guys dont like Butyls!! :shock:

That goes to show you that the stuff is better then the Maxim at 16-1..... One gallon will make 17 gallons of protector. :)

Greenie

I said spray the solvent not shower with it...lol

Some things really are overhyped, solvent protectors aren't that bad, I think the solvent carrier in many is just isopropyl alcohol, let's not make a calif. tree hugger claim outta this.

As for Chris, I fully understand defending the product, but I don't want to cross the line and tell a guy his experiences aren't real, it's jsut a chemcial, you can sell just about anything you want, got any Stain Guardian on the shelves?

Obviously I need to sell a protector, it seems to get a lot of play on the board. Personally I never saw the logic in re-wetting carpet I just tried my damnest to dry, so water based products never interested me, a solvent can knock an hour or more off your dry times.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Where are you getting 8:1 and 16:1 !!??

I just looked at the bottle of Maxim and its 2 parts water to 1 part Maxim, covers 400 to 800sf depending on the carpet.

I used to use the UltraChem Protector. seemed to work well but I got away from it because someone was saying it could void warrantees. I'm not sure if had some silicone in it. Couldn't see anything like that in the MSDS. I think 1 gal covered 200sf and it was $40 a gal, that was over 10 yrs ago. I don't like the skin and breathing hazards either, Maxim is much safer.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Jeff I do sell Stain Guardian also but believe in Maxim Advanced much more because of the results I've seen using the product and the reviews from my customers. I'm not rying to tell him his experiences aren't real I'm just saying my results are totally opposite and I don't want people to only see his test results because that gives the product a bad image when it is a very good product, that's all.

Rex Tyus

Ron Werner said:
Where are you getting 8:1 and 16:1 !!??

I just looked at the bottle of Maxim and its 2 parts water to 1 part Maxim, covers 400 to 800sf depending on the carpet.

I used to use the UltraChem Protector. seemed to work well but I got away from it because someone was saying it could void warrantees. I'm not sure if had some silicone in it. Couldn't see anything like that in the MSDS. I think 1 gal covered 200sf and it was $40 a gal, that was over 10 yrs ago. I don't like the skin and breathing hazards either, Maxim is much safer.

http://www.proschoice.com/Stain_Guardian_5x8.pdf

The ratio he is refering to is the Stain Guardian's ( I hope) One other consideration is the coverage of SG at 1 rtu gal per 200 feet vs 400 to 800 for the Maxim.

DISCLAIMER: This post in no way reflects a preference of one product over another. IDGAS what you use.

Jerry

Supportive Member
I agree with Oklahoma Tim,I stopped using the CTI protector because of the dry times. It drove me nuts! I now use Hardball Soilblocker, works great, inexpensive, drys fast.I can sell it a little cheaper to the customer and still make great profit.

tim

Hardball is one I would like to try. I have always heard good things about it. I was ready to try it when Maxim Advanced came out and had such good results with it and so easy to sell with the provided brochure that I never did. Thinking back about SG, I think it was the combination of high water content and low coverage that makes the carpet so wet. I tested it several times because I was sure I was overapplying it. Measured area of carpet in my house and applied per the instructions on the bottle and it was soaked! Never felt comfortable putting it down again. At the time I had not thought through the fact that less water added means faster dry times. One of my USP's is dry to the touch when we leave. Cant promise that with SG so I made the switch to another great product. Does anyone know if HBSB and other solvents work on against Koolaid etc. with acid dye blockers? With protectant I need it to dry fast, work well against all soils and spills and of course be reasonably priced for the consumer. Up to this point, I have felt Maxim Advanced was the best fit for me but I am always ready to try something else. I dont take bb hype, I try the product myself and come to my own conclusion based on in-field testing. Would like to try the Hardball product head to head with the other 2 products.

Hey Jerry! How's in implemetation since SFS?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom