Some clean carpet, some make money, some either, some both.

Bob Foster

But then there are these companies that

blanket communities with ridiculously low priced coupons,

use non-uniformed subcontractors

in very un-carpet cleaning like trucks and cars

and pay these "workers" crap

In my opinion, this type of operation DOES NOTHING BUT BAD THINGS for the reputation of our industry.

I am not against multi-truck companies or coupons or lower priced cleaning. But behind the scenes, when what really is being delivered to the customer is much different than what they think is being delivered is ethically wrong.

Some deliver this right, and some don't.

So is expecting someone to run all over town working their asses off for next to nothing in earnings.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: Some clean carpet, some make money, some either, some bo

Your diatribe is incongruent with the title.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bob Foster

Shame on any of you that

Don't have a clean van with clearly indicated business sign

Don't come in with a suitable logo'ed shirt

That wear blue jeans in a customers home

And have to upsell to apply prespray to a carpet

That do a poor job just because a customer doesn't purchase an offered upsell

That go out of your way to knock your competition with a customer

Bob Foster

Ken Snow said:
Your diatribe is incongruent with the title.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Some people make money off this industry and do shitty work
Some clean carpet but don't manage to make much money
Some do both

It was set out that way so companies like yours would not misunderstand the inference.

Your company is larger, does market with coupons, makes money AND does good work.

And pays your staff who are not subcontractors fairly.

Diatribe - you bet it is, I think its disgusting what some are trying to pull and it stinks this place up. Time to stand up for what's right.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Bob isn't some of that "you get what you pay for"?

Isn't there aways going to be separate markets with the service.

Budget market customers don't expect or want to pay for more than they are used to gettting.

Middle market expect a level of service but again not everything.

High end market wants it all and is willing to pay extra for it.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

Cole was brought into the FOLD....... :idea:

To LIFT up mArY...from the bottom of the barrell... :oops:

It is BAD for the board....to have a mOdErAtoR....of mArY's ILKE.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The CHEEPEST...fooker here is jUgHeAd... :shock:
Look what HE pays his MOD'S.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Oh well..."You get what you pay for...!"

jus sayin..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phred on Harper's PuTeR... :mrgreen:

ps ACE you BD.s...I am heading to the Golf Course....."tOOtle'S bitches.." :!: :!: :!: :!:

Bob Foster

Richard, I agree there are different types of markets with each having their own expectation.

But even on the bottom end there should be a minimum professional expectation that anything below delivering that is a disservice to the customer and us as a profession.

I say that some don't meet that expectation on the bottom end and it hurts the rest of us no matter what market - price range they choose to service.

Harper might be going golfing but I'm going to work.

Connor

Name
Connor

Alfalfa said:
Bob isn't some of that "you get what you pay for"?

Isn't there aways going to be separate markets with the service.

Budget market customers don't expect or want to pay for more than they are used to gettting.

Middle market expect a level of service but again not everything.

High end market wants it all and is willing to pay extra for it.

I agree with what Guadalupe posted and add that business models and profitability are a moral issue that are subject to criticism.

Eventually, everybody gets judged by somebody and will get called a scumbag for the way they run their business, whether right or wrong.

If you give it away, you're ruining the market, if you make a profit, then you're a crook in somebody's eyes.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

I agree but I also never feel bad when someone choses the low end and complains that they didn't get what they expected.

If you're on a budget or just don't value cleaning then chose the middle but the bottom is always going to be risky what ever service you are purchasing.

I think Greg just may work harder with subs than if he had employees.

Connor

Name
Connor

Some people won't afford good service, even though they have the resources.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

Again- your posts are incongruent with the title. Why not just say hre is a thread trashing certain "elements" of the industry tha you don't like vs implying it is something else.

Ken
Ps I do not coupon (except on a vary rare occassion) nor do I know what is wrong with couponing in your mind. Wht if I someone coupons 2 rooms for $149.00 would that meet with your approval (not that this would matter)?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I think Bob is one of those people who think if you're not with him...Then you're against him.

People and businesses do things different ways....Neither has to be bad or good.

If someone is paying their rent by working for Greg...Or me....that's a good thing.

If they want to jump through all the hoops and do what I do to make more money.....So be it.

If I only had 1 sub.....I would make less than him/her.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

HARPER said:
Cole was brought into the FOLD....... :idea:

To LIFT up mArY...from the bottom of the barrell... :oops:

It is BAD for the board....to have a mOdErAtoR....of mArY's ILKE.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The

You're just mad because because you've complained about everything I've done and you're still wrong.

Get a grip old man.

If you buy a protein shake maybe you won't look like this guy.

images

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek

i wear blue jeans to all of my jobs. so ashamed, tx for bringing this to my attn! :mrgreen:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Bob Foster said:
Shame on any of you that

Bob, i don't see any shame in many of those .
Never the less, Harpster posted some words of wisdom that may give you a different perspective .
It's not really specific to what you're crowing about, but i think you're sharp enough to find some meaning that applies

"I actually look as Greg's model as an ASSET to my business...
He is out there CHUMMING everyday....!
That just keeps the FISH active & concentrated in one AREA.... 8)

The only thing the O/O should worry about ...."IS"....
If you LOSE a client the GREG... :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

You might want to change your BAIT....or...."QUIT FISHING.!"
"

..L.T.A.

Bob Foster

I never said couponing was bad. But the coupon companies tend to be the bait and switchers.

For a low end service to not offer at least a prespray as part of their basic serivice is just wrong to the customer and the profession. Just like one step cleaning is bad for the cleaning profession.

I am speculating like others here have that Cole may well have preempted a hidden camera investigation on his company by calling for one so his company wouldn't be the target of one. Par for the course for anyone who would run such an operation.

Nothing wrong with subs if they are doing good work and are paid fairly.

But when you got a bunch of hacks running around in cars and pickups for cheap, you can't tell me that is any good for this industry. And even at the bottom end of a customer engaging a so-called "professional" carpet cleaning company they should expect a good result from even the most basic level of clean.

Instead, they have to pay extra for something they would REASONABLY expect to be included. And showing up late for a job is also unprofessional and shows further disregard and disrespect for a customers time.

Shame on any of one that has any part of doing this kind of work or would allow anyone associated with them to treat a customer like that. If you do, YOU'RE SCUM!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Come on Bob...Tell us how you reallly feel. lol

Yes there are scum out there...But if you generized intire segments of the industry you might want to look in the mirror.

I would bet that Greg has both hacks and pros on his "team"...But I would also bet he weeds the hacks out eventually....Or more to the point...They weed themselves out.

I've had some bad subs.....That's really why I'm cleaning for myself in this area. Hard to find good people willing to work....And even get paid well. lol

I won't put up with a hack for very long at all.....As soon as I figure it out. lol

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek

Bob Foster said:
But when you got a bunch of hacks running around in cars and pickups for cheap, you can't tell me that is any good for this industry.
works for me, those types have to start somewhere i reckon...as most all of us weren't handed a silver spooned CC'ing company. in the meanwhile, they make me look that much more valuable to my clients and potential clients :mrgreen: so i dont mind them at all :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

EDIT* and for those CC'ers who years later continue to look less than professional, and do shoddy work, well that is more work for me. that is how i see it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Hey, Steve Toburen started in the back of a vintage 73 ass orange Pinto back in the day with a R2D2 Porty peiced together by the J crew at the local pen.

And look where he is today. Iseeru

Bob Foster

And some think its an acceptable way of doing business.

The guy who is starting out that aspires to improve his professionalism gets a pass in my book and also all the help you can give them. Other - get nothing but my contempt.

There's a difference between being a big advertiser with a call center that takes a piece of the action of what it being passed off as a professional service company and a truly professional carpet cleaning company whether it is one truck or thirty.

Could you imagine a plumbing company coming to someones door that bought a hot water heater replacement package and the customer was told that they would have to pay extra for the flux on the pipe? I would imagine that plumber couldn't look any of his fellow tradesmen in the eye when he was lined up at the trade counter buying supplies every morning.

In case you didn't realize it, this bullshit really hits my switch. It's very damaging to our profession.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Bob Foster said:
Shame on any of you that

I resent that jeans comment!! I always wear clean blue jeans, but my boys like the Dickies pants. Always a logoed shirt and jacket/zippered hoodie.

I never have, nor will I ever offer coupons for discounts.

So there.....

Bob Foster

You did at least have a logo'ed shirt and if you and your customers are comfortable - then that's OK. You are making an effort to look professional. Guys that slink in to a place with blue jeans a tee shirt look like they should be out back hauling junk. That's not what you're about and neither am I.

For the standards of where I work and what I represent, it would be noticed and considered unprofessional for me to show up at a residential customers home in blue jeans. Weekend night work in an unoccupied office building - hell get comfortable and wear what you want.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

For a low end service to not offer at least a prespray as part of their basic serivice is just wrong to the customer and the profession. Just like one step cleaning is bad for the cleaning profession.

YOU'RE SCUM!

LOL...Bob, take a pill dude ..'fore you splode or sump'um :lol:

you do know you just called Kenny's outfit pond scUm, right?? :lol:

I don't consider Hogopian or the Stanley Steamers of the world scum
are they doing a "high quality" cleaning??
hell no
are they doing an "acceptable" cleaning at a price MANY will pay year after year ?
hell yea

if your ire is toward Cole, then aim your shots DIRECTLY at him.
Not large sections of the industry that don't fit your biz model

naw'mean??

..L.T.A.

Bob Foster

From another post Larry, Ken knows that I do not include him in this catagory. Ken's value priced package offers considerably higher level of delivered quality.

This is not in any way directed at Ken Snow.

The topic definitely gets my blood boiling. But I'm fine. Most of us have some form of this type of operation we have to deal with in our area.

Like I said previously, I consider this method of doing business and service delivery extremely damaging to the profession as a whole.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

Who died and made Bob God, in his own mind?

Lots of ways to CHOOSE how to run a carpet cleaning company.

Saying which way is the best is subjective.

I could say carpet techs should have hair to look presentable.

Bob Foster

Some should keep their face off business cards and websites because it scares little children and their moms.... shiteatinggrin

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Bob...Maybe you should get into a real industry that licenses their pros so the others don't have to complain aboot it?

It's cleaning for crying out loud.....What level of professionalism to you expect from the masses? Do you expect a dish washer to wear velvet gloves?

YES, we can better ourselves and create an awesome work and business ethic to separate....But to say the dirt bags bring us down is just "sky is falling" mentallity.

Let them have their ghetto works and relish in the fact (sorry Ken) that YOU don't have to do the work that most of those "scum" bags have to do.

Hellure!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Bob Foster said:
You did at least have a logo'ed shirt and if you and your customers are comfortable - then that's OK. You are making an effort to look professional. Guys that slink in to a place with blue jeans a tee shirt look like they should be out back hauling junk. That's not what you're about and neither am I.

For the standards of where I work and what I represent, it would be noticed and considered unprofessional for me to show up at a residnetial customers home in blue jeans. Weekend night work in an unoccupied office building - hell get comfortable and where what you want.

Each cleaner has his specific clientel that he markets to. Mine is, by far, blue collar, blue jeans, so they feel comfortable with me in jeans. Now, I would never show up in dress slacks and a tie......that look, to me, just isn't comforable with working class people. (There are some that wear a tie to their cleaning jobs.) Now, if I was cleaning in some of the more affluent suburbs of Cleveland, I'd probably dress diferently.

Hell, Meat cleans in the country, so he shows up with his mullet and a couple six-shooters strapped to his side.

Hey, Meat.....you heading to the gun show up that way this weekend??

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

rwcarpet said:
Hey, Meat.....you heading to the gun show up that way this weekend??

doing a small show in Kent this weekend , RW
At the American Legion hall .
Corner of RT 261 and Modadore rd

next big show near you for me is Dec 3-4 at the Expo Center in the Eastwood Mall plaza
Lemmie know you're coming, I'll get you in free.... 8)

BTW, today I was wearing Wranglers genes and Cabela's camo hoodie sweat shirt :shock:

.l.T.A.

Back
Top Bottom