Stanley Steemer with Twisted Sister

chris augusto

Name
Chris Augusto
Did anyone catch the new Stanley Steemer commercial with Dee Snider of Twisted Sister? They really have some killer marketing...

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Or...twisted sis is really desperate for money and/or notoriety, since I just happened to see the guy on a G Ramsey kitchen nightmare show too.

But the Ramsey show could have been a rerun from a while back...I don't know, my wife was watching it- I just caught a bit of it.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Dee was on the Celebrity Apprentice that wrapped up last Sunday. He also had a reality show last year called My Twisted Family so I doubt he's to desperate for the money, I caught some of his reality shows and he has business stuff going on. So I would guess SS had to anti up pretty good to get him. I saw the commercial and thought it was good.

mcatt

Name
Mike
CLASSIC! Good for our industry for sure. I still like the dog shuffling his butt one the best though. (mom, look at doggies new trick!)

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Ron Werner said:
they must be hurting for work going all out on marketing like that.
have to replace all the customers they serviced last year

What's wrong with marketing?

For most clients SS does a very adequate job.

But, For every business client always drop off.

Clients move away, die, their messy kids grow up, the dog that made regular work dies, they replace their carpet...

Plus, frequent advertising keep them top of mind and increased frequency.

If you don't replace the clients lost through natural attrition your business will die.

randy

Name
Randy
I don't think that's "killer marketing" I think it's typical ad agency thinking with ZERO thought given to the demographics (who you are trying to sell) and Psychographics (why they buy). I would be willing to bet that 70-80% of purchasers of carpet cleaning services can't even identify who Twisted sister is. Add in the folks that find men dressed as women offensive or hate that type of crap music and the ad is a flop. When you link to a celebrity you are linking to their reputation and accepting their morality in the eyes of most consumers. JC Penny recently experienced this with their selection of Ellen Degeneres.

Stanley is incredibly ignorant to be targeting buyers of carpet cleaning services (the majority of which are women 30 years or older) with this nonsense. Any one of a million clearly recognizable female pitch women would have been a better choice. For example the women regularly doing the selling on QVC or Home Shopping network. People call up and talk to them on the air and know them by name.

Twisted Sister might be a good choice if you were trying to sell illegal drugs to newbie carpet cleaners age 18-28. For the old farts that have to google twisted sister to find out they are some cross-dressing weirdo rock group, not so much.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
randy said:
I don't think that's "killer marketing" I think it's typical ad agency thinking with ZERO thought given to the demographics (who you are trying to sell) and Psychographics (why they buy). I would be willing to bet that 70-80% of purchasers of carpet cleaning services can't even identify who Twisted sister is. Add in the folks that find men dressed as women offensive or hate that type of crap music and the ad is a flop. When you link to a celebrity you are linking to their reputation and accepting their morality in the eyes of most consumers. JC Penny recently experienced this with their selection of Ellen Degeneres.

Stanley is incredibly ignorant to be targeting buyers of carpet cleaning services (the majority of which are women 30 years or older) with this nonsense. Any one of a million clearly recognizable female pitch women would have been a better choice. For example the women regularly doing the selling on QVC or Home Shopping network. People call up and talk to them on the air and know them by name.

I was wondering about some of the stuff you mentioned.

But, What it comes down to is.

It gets attention in the clutter of commercials.

THe somewhat shocking clothes, fast action and bright colors are hard to ignore.

And at the end he loudly sings their slogan.

That is what would be remembered and repeated in a prospect's head.

(Look at the impact it's making here.)

We certainly wouldn't be talking about a standard commercial with a conventional female pitch woman.

We could all learn from this. If your ad doesn't get the prospect's attention. It might as well not exist. That is why headline copy and images are so important to select carefully.

randy

Name
Randy
I bet that commercial doesn't do zip for them. The demographic that goes to church every week, Stanley Steemer just lost them. If a bunch of carpet cleaners like your ad it's a bad ad, LOL.

We aren't selling to rug suckers or teenagers.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Even the most anal retentive church goer will know it's a gag. They look more like clowns than drag queens.

I'm sure the commercial went through many focus groups, editing and testing before dropping the coin spent on this massive exposure

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
While there commercials are good to create an awareness, I don't appreciate them.
In most of their commercials they make carpet cleaners look like goofy retards.

Now I know carpet cleaning doesn't have to be serious, but I also don't want the image tech's crying over carpet being disposed of. :roll:

I agree with Randy, who were they targeting?

FredC

Village Idiot
randy said:
(the majority of which are women 30 years or older).

You mean the ones that were watching MTV 25 years ago when Twisted Sister was in constant rotation?
The ones that watch reality shows today and see Dee Snider dressed up at least once?
The ones that listen to "classic rock" :oops: and here "We're not going to take it" played quite often?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Exactly Fred! Dee is 57 years old and very relevant to the older side of our demo and their children who are now starting to be the bread and butter of it. Brilliant marketing move!

Richard, you obviously don't get out to many carpet cleaning functions shiteatinggrin

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I agree with Randy...it's dumb...Twisted Sister was popular when I was a teenager, no girls liked them just like most 80's metal bands. So I can't really figure out how TS ties in with housewives, their music is popular with kids somehow because my 8 yr old daughter knows a few of their songs. I thought the SS commercial with the dog wiping his ass all over the carpet was better.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
But it makes sense that they do, cause they have a great system of making sure their people look professional and at least in this market do not send people to homes that look like they may have just been released from prison and that might be on a "list" for 25 years.

randy

Name
Randy
Ken Snow said:
But it makes sense that they do, cause they have a great system of making sure their people look professional and at least in this market do not send people to homes that look like they may have just been released from prison and that might be on a "list" for 25 years.

Now that is important point. My guys are in uniform or GONE. I was at a open house event at a supplier once and what a freak show. It was like the Manson Family had shown up for the free hot dogs.
Some carpet cleaners need a haircut and a shave. You can't show up at a customers house looking scary.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
The free food events are the worst Randy LOL. Even Connections has a big slice of scary looking peeps and those are the ones that are not totally bdcc'rs or they are local.

Connor

Name
Connor
I think that if they had actually used all of TS and not just Dee Snider that it would have worked better and gone with a TS/SS connection.

I think they related to a lot of people my age, especially men who now think that SS is cool. I'd probably call them if I didn't already have a bias against franchises.

Stay Hungry is still a great album.

Who knew that a linebacker-sized, drag queen clown still would be rocking at 57?

The glam thing was just to queer for me to wrap my mind around.

That was alot better than the DR. Pepper crap Kiss did a few years ago with the midgets.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I think they could have cut the first 15 secs of that and still got the message out. Its only with repetition that any commercial has any effect. No one sees a commercial once and immediately jumps on the phone for their product or service. Even a bad commercial seen over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over will create awareness. Guess they have the money to spend on it so good for them.
You guys down south know more the kind of work they do.

We have a large corp up here that the quality of work highly depends on the current tech doing the work. One time a good tech, next time he's gone and a newby does bad work. They do lots of marketing to keep the ones that WILL repeat and to replace those that will NEVER have them again.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
randy said:

Twisted Sister might be a good choice if you were trying to sell illegal drugs to newbie carpet cleaners age 18-28. For the old farts that have to google twisted sister to find out they are some cross-dressing weirdo rock group, not so much.

While I agree with some of what you said, most of TS's audience is/was now in their 40's and 50's. My 18 year old wouldn't know who they were.

QVC? HSN? Really???? I've never ordered from it, talked to anyone on it and have never watched it longer than to see what it is and switch channels. I don't know anyone my age (49) who orderes from it or watches it. but my grandma did at the end of her life.

Their best catch for a celebrity would be Victoria Stillwell or Caesar the Dog Whisperer.

And if working with Ellen Degeneres hurt JC Penney - shame on the public, not JC Penney.

Take care,
Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom