that famous Phoenix Spyder..

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
90% of the time, use a dry pad. I’m talking about areas that really need some help.

What cleans better, a wet washcloth or dry?

After we clean up the mess, we follow up with a dry pad, usually MF.
It depends on what you are cleaning. A dry towel will pick up a wet mess faster than a wet towel. Next time you go swimming, trying drying off with a wet towel. We are wetting the carpet before applying a pad to it.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
It depends on what you are cleaning. A dry towel will pick up a wet mess faster than a wet towel. Next time you go swimming, trying drying off with a wet towel. We are wetting the carpet before applying a pad to it.
Correct, but just try a cotton pad soaked in steamy, hot water sometime. Cuts through ridiculous amounts of grease that you would normally use your TM for. Then, you follow-up with dry pads.
I’ve used a bucket heater before when I didn’t have really hot water.
Not an everyday thing, but when you have nasty areas, and you don’t want to pull hoses for it, it works really well.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Correct, but just try a cotton pad soaked in steamy, hot water sometime. Cuts through ridiculous amounts of grease that you would normally use your TM for. Then, you follow-up with dry pads.
I’ve used a bucket heater before when I didn’t have really hot water.
Not an everyday thing, but when you have nasty areas, and you don’t want to pull hoses for it, it works really well.
I agree, heat is always better than no heat. Be nice to have an onboard heater for orbitals or cimex but then you would need extra power cords.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I agree, heat is always better than no heat. Be nice to have an onboard heater for orbitals or cimex but then you would need extra power cords.
The Orbot Sprayborg was originally designed with an onboard heater. That’s why the machine has that curved piece under the solution tank holder. The heater went in there, but they would’ve only been a able to use a 1/2 HP motor. F that.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Condog

Name
Tony
This perplexes me and keeps me up at night. First, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are out of your mind. I hear from all sorts of guys that the best way to encap is to soak your pad first. So here is my mental issue; If the pad is soaked in water, doesn't the water take up the place where soil will be soaked up into? Why isn't it better to start with a dry pad, spray the floor heavily with encap, and let the soils wick up into the pad and have the heat created by the pad activate the polymers that make the encap so effective? I know starting out with a wet pad is better for the life of the pad, causing less friction and wear. Unless the encap juice magicially bonds with the soil through emulsification and then through anti-gravity principles have it defy physics and lift up into the water filled pad, replacing the water with soil.

I just don't understand it. Why not start out with a dry pad, do 400 sqft, look at the bottom, then say, "Yup it's dirty, time to get a clean one.".

The theory I can understand is: The water in the pre-soaked pad helps smear the soils around evenly. If you are lucky and by chance, some soils will smear onto the pad. The end result will be a clean looking carpet.

How do I do it? Well confession time. I never "Soak" my pads. I just get them damp to break the friction and reduce wear. I believe that by soaking them fills the pad with water molecules leaving less room for soil convection.
A guy on a video said it like this (I'm paraphrasing) "You take a good fitting t-shirt. You jump in a pool and now the shirt sags. You've loosened the fibers and they've expanded.
Applying this to a carpet pad - the expanded space between the fibers can now grab more soil from the carpet." I'm just sharing what I heard.
I have had the experience of wearing a t-shirt while floating down the river here in Phoenix area. The t-shirt does expand once it has become wet.
I think it is the weight of the water. As the cotton becomes wet the fibers expand; but the weight of the water on the cotton makes the fibers more easy to open and expand with the agitation so more soils can be picked up.

Reactions: Meter Maid

Condog

Name
Tony
I don't mean to say the guy was doing the job correctly.

I would rather clean with a wet rag and dry with a dry one.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
But the foam should already be loaded so why bother ?
I’ve never known the foam to have a sponge effect at all. I feel like the MF is absorbing everything. I’ve always known the foam to be there for lateral stability only. Not positive though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom