The names have been changed to protect the innocent ......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
so you are an O/O and have been in business since the early 90's...you have a respectable company...everyone knows you and have been dealing with the same distributor off and on since the day you started out....

then one day the heart of your machine goes out....and you are struggling for about a week to find the part to replace it....you have no back up...and family to feed....

finally you find what you need..but come to find out that it is a proprietary part and it can not be sent to you but only a distributor....

your paying for the shipping yourself and for the part....and the total cost is around $1300 dollars...all the distributor has to do is accept it and give you a call to let you know it has arrived because you are going to install it yourself....

the distributor charges you $600 to accept the delivery...so did the guy just get bent over by the distributor...??

or is there something in this that I am missing....??????

Connor

Name
Connor
Re: The names have been changed to protect the innocent ....

Yeah, you're missing something alright, SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy

Call this #: (210)349-7273
They have counselors standing by to take your call.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Jeremy said:

LOL...It was not me....but I have not been on the board very much for the last few weeks because there has been some things that needed my attention.....but I have been stewing about this for awhile ..so I don't think DR Phil could help me right now.....

Bob Foster

It really pisses me off when I hear of something like this. I personally have been screwed by a local distributor in almost the same way but for MORE money. I have not been through his doors in four years.

It also reminds me of a time when my wife and I bought our first house and it was the first week we were in it and we were as poor as church mice. The oven quit working so we called an appliance repairman. I sort of watched him. He adjusted the timer control a bit and then took off the thermostat in the oven and bent it up and replaced it.

There was nothing wrong with the range. The oven timer was set wrong but still he had to figure out a way to charge us more so he deliberately destroyed the oven thermostat when there was nothing wrong with it just so he could justify a bigger bill to us. I will never forget that as long as I live.

Jim I wonder if there is more to your story than you might be aware of.

If it really is that blatant then I hope the offending distributor and or manufacturer is exposed.

I really appreciate my Judson TNT and the distributor I bought in from.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Jim Martin said:
Jeremy said:

LOL...It was not me....but I have not been on the board very much for the last few weeks because there has been some things that needed my attention.....but I have been stewing about this for awhile ..so I don't think DR Phil could help me right now.....
Jim,
We are talking a much higher authority than Dr. Phil.

I say: Go for Dr. Laura (she is much angrier) or Judge Judy (who is even more angry and far less patient.)
Take your choice.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio

What's worse is the the big sh$t eating grin that comes over the distys face when he realizes he's got you by the gonads.

Its enough to make a person want to sell their rig and buy a judson or something.

My next machine will probably be direct from the manufacturer.

Name
Lee Stockwell

Why didn't he ask US to help find the part?

There is no such thing as a truely PROPRIETARY part.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Jim I wonder if there is more to your story than you might be aware of.

I was pretty much involved in what was going on here.... the distributor had absolutely nothing to do with this except...accept the delivery....everything else was taken care of....the foot work to find it...the order and the installation....was not done by them...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Lee Stockwell said:
Why didn't he ask US to help find the part?

There is no such thing as a truely PROPRIETARY part.

I did ask if anyone had one and I also talked to a few guys on this board and one of the "distributors" that come here bent over back wards trying to help me...and that was when we found out that because it was a proprietary part that they could not help me get it....

Name
Lee Stockwell

What kind of part?

My brother reverse-engineered and fixed the complete electronics and ignition of a quirky Kawasaki, and fabricated it for $35.

Anything can be fabricated, and often better than the original part.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

a blower for a hydromaster CDS...a dominator 4007...

a new one would have to be back ordered and he would not of gotten it until another week from now...he broke down before Christmas...

Hydromaster found a used one in the back of there shop and sold it to him...but would not ship it to him because it was a proprietary part and could only be sold to a HM distributor...

Name
Lee Stockwell

A Tuthill 4007 is not very proprietary. Used ones abound. Can be replaced with a Sutorbilt 4L or a Roots 47.

Yes I know HM often uses a dual shaft variant to drive the pump, but that's easy to work around.

New: $1612.
http://www.***************/tuthill-comp ... ts_id=5604

Name
jack zerkie

Thats why I sold my 470D and now own a base Larry Cobb unit over two years and No down time Hydramaster needs to look at the small companys to learn what is simple and easy for the long run, had bigger and had bigger problems, now smaller and no problems. jz.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

it does have to have the duel shaft and the the 47 does not..and it was my understanding that the sutorbilt did not line up to the mounts and you had to de design the mounting plate if I remember correct...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

name the disty that charged $600 for forklift service

give them the addy to Mikey's Board

let's hear their story .

..L.T.A.

L

LGSTEAM

I hate hearing about these proprietary part problems. Leave it to hydramaster to make a proprietary blower and these distributors making hundreds for a simple phone call to place an order. This is why we have been running Judsons for 20 plus years.

Name
Lee Stockwell

Often "good" blowers get discarded that only need either to be unsiezed or new bearings installed.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug

no shop around to rebuild it???

We have one here in Utah...they fix ALL SORTS of blowers, for different industires

does he still have the bad one??? if he can afford it...might not be bad to have it as a back up

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Lee Stockwell said:
Often "good" blowers get discarded that only need either to be unsiezed or new bearings installed.

it sheared the teeth off the gears...

IMG_5902-1.jpg

I was going to go a head and just replace the gears...But I was informed that it was not a good idea because of the tolerance levels on the lobes and the new gears...I was also told that HM is no longer rebuilding them because of this...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Erskine Allin said:
name the disty that charged $600 for forklift service

give them the addy to Mikey's Board

let's hear their story .

..L.T.A.

more then sure they come here and poke around...and there is nothing to here about there story...there only involvement was accepting it and the $600 bucks...

either way... it is what it is....he has been back up and running and everything is fine....and this is not my fight....I just don't think that it was right to charge the $600 just to accept it...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

and this is not my fight

I can dig that, Jim

I'm wondering why the dude didn't flip his lid on the disty.
or at least ask them WTF...

sump'ums WAY wrong for a disty to charge 6 bills JUST to unload a blower off a truck

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Erskine Allin said:
and this is not my fight

I can dig that, Jim

I'm wondering why the dude didn't flip his lid on the disty.
or at least ask them WTF...

sump'ums WAY wrong for a disty to charge 6 bills JUST to unload a blower off a truck

..L.T.A.

the poor guy was in a bad spot...he did not even fight it...he just paid the money and put it all back together to get going again...we exhausted our resources to find him a blower...I did everything I could to help him out during the Christmas holiday and new years...we teamed up in my truck and knocked out mine and his jobs to keep him going...

never the less..it is over and done and he is running strong again...but this has been sitting in the back of my mind ever since it happened eating at me and wondering if there was something that I have missed....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

..but this has been sitting in the back of my mind ever since it happened eating at me and wondering if there was something that I have missed.

welp..that's an easy one to take the teeth out of what's eating at you..
call the disty and simply ask them why the "seemingly" excessive charges ...

cause either the dude you helped is feeding you baloney , or the disty needs publicly pimp slapped for GOUGING the fck out him

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Erskine Allin said:
..but this has been sitting in the back of my mind ever since it happened eating at me and wondering if there was something that I have missed.

welp..that's an easy one to take the teeth out of what's eating at you..
call the disty and simply ask them why the "seemingly" excessive charges ...

cause either the dude you helped is feeding you baloney , or the disty needs publicly pimp slapped for GOUGING the fck out him

..L.T.A.

I have known this cleaner for over 7 years now...his family and mine get together now and then and have dinner and a few laughs...he covered all my jobs for me when Katie was born...so I know him pretty well...

it is not my place to approach anyone on this...I can understand giving some type of charge...but $600 bucks....thats a bit extreme...

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy

yes jim 600 bucks is crazy.
We all would like to know who this was,
A real shame that a dist can not help out one of his customers.
I personally would black ball the guy
We have a dist close to here that would pull the same thing at least i hear they would.
I had a issue with a uph tool i will will tell ya it was a hm tool
and jon don went to bat for me and come thru for me.
i always like to spend my money with good people and jon don
and les and joyce always comes thru for us.
lets spill the beans on this guy

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

$600.00 must be the mark up on a new blower sale, it's unfortunate that they charged that much because it wasn't new, it was used.

However if the blower were on the shelf it would have most likely been the same mark up. :|

Don't most of the manufacturers have proprietary blowers on their units? It appears just too keep you from buying direct. ???

Name
Lee Stockwell

I've seen several HM machines that had that glitch. I consider it a brainstorm gone bad.

The "brainstorm" was using a dual shaft blower so that the pump could be driven off the extra shaft. Of course having a proprietary part has also made them more than a few dollars.

The flaw is that the timing gears on the blower weren't really designed to transfer much power beyond the needs of the blower itself. A better fix would have been to drive the pump off the motor directly.

It isn't hard to make a dual-shaft blower with off the shelf parts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom