WARNING!!! Carbon Monoxide will KILL YOU!

FredC

Village Idiot
1390663_684814998217578_1583092180_n.jpg
copoisoning_456px.gif
CO-Poisoning-symptoms.jpg

Every year it seems like a couple carpet cleaners die (or almost kill themselves or others)from carbon monoxide poisoning. Usually in the winter when operating the unit from the warmth and shelter of a garage is more tempting.

Don't do it!

http://www.lni.wa.gov/safety/research/face/files/carbonmonoxidepoisoning.pdf

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you for posting this Fred.

As the colder months set in through most of North America, these kind of deadly mistakes are repeated over and over again.

This also applies to working on your machine in an garage when the unit needs to be run to test what you've just fixed.

Let yourself get cold and wet; don't become another sad story to be shared as a cautionary tale.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Pretty sure a husband and wife made this mistake last year and passed away . Thought it might have been one of John Olsen custy's.

Reactions: SamIam

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
We were cleaning a townhouse a few weeks ago and the only way in was parking parallel to the garage in an alley. George turned the attic fan on while I was downstairs cleaning the basement. Next thing we know, the fire dept. was there. It sucked the carbon monoxide not only into the (thankfully) vacant house we were cleaning, but the neighbors as well. Her detector started going off and she panicked. The fire fighters came in with meters and of course explained to George about the attic fan. I come upstairs hearing all the commotion and went next door to check on the neighbor. She was an older woman and I just felt awful!!! I offered to give her a free carpet cleaning for the horrible inconvenience.
We were able to get everything cleared out quickly and the fire dudes were very gracious, so was the woman. George was embarrassed!
I have seen pics of guys parking their vans in parking garages and I shudder to think about what can happen.
This is a great reminder for those who would not take it into consideration. :rockon:

FredC

Village Idiot

that is making the assumption that the exhaust system on the vehicle /unit is sound up to the exit point .......no leaks............or that the potential doesn't exist for it to come off (their kid or dog knocks it off)

that might be good for working on the van/unit..............not leaving it running unsupervised for hours

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
We don't run a direct drive and our exhaust is through a floor kit so something like that would not work anyway right? Still seems too risky for the reasons Fred stated above.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Ken692

Name
Kenny
Can you use a muffler hose like in an auto repair garage, just to vent to the outside.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i have to be aware of how i park my 570 because we have set off 3 in the last 2 years..parking 6-7 feet away from a garage but angled toward the garage will
set off a alarm in about 30 mins..pain in the ass

i angle the machine away from the garage..would love to figure a was to divert the exhaust on the 570

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
It's surprising how far the exhaust will travel. I have set off a few when I wasn't even close to the door. I now park as far away as possible. Better to run an extra 50' of hose then wake up dead.

Reactions: Ken Clean

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Always point your exhaust away from the job site. Place a flood fan to disperse the exhaust if in doubt. 2 cleaners dead in richmond, BC a couple of years ago. Running a spitfire in the garage.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i keep getting people who are like, just pull your van in the garage. im like NO! and i explain we dont incase of a fire. because when people hear carbon monoxide they cringe.

Reactions: JohnHawkP
Name
Jefftry Tobian
You don't need to be in the garage , if your blower in aiming into the garage it will set off the alarms. this happen to me once. now I make sure my truckmount is after the garage. Does anyone have a link to the alarm on the cone, what a great idea!!!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
bump...Saiger's fresh snow reminded me its getting cold enough for folks to gas themselves

edit: some portable detectors
https://amzn.to/2Dvgnkw

I'm glad you mentioned this Fred.

Even on that job in the video, the homeowners said "you can back right into the garage if you wish".

That was one of 4 this past couple of week inviting me to do that.

I explained to all of them we are going to be running the van while cleaning and we would want to leave it outside to avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

I know a young new cleaner might be tempted especially in the temps we are having right now.

Be safe everyone....

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
How many carpet cleaners died this year because of this reason?

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Getting rid of a paid for working truckmount is like getting rid of a paid for gun. But I get it, just messing with you. I use a Bane as a porty for any occasion I can’t use a truckmount.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom