10" CRB Sale

steve_64

Five of these machines

No bearing issues.
You told me the bearings need replacing occasionally. No big deal if I could get them out easily but they corroded in place. I'll get them out but it won't be easy.

So what's the difference some of us are experiencing? I don't think it's just a maintenance issue but now that I know the machine inside and out I see how I can take better care of it and where the priority is in keeping it running longer between repairs.
I think the rug cleaning and maybe the way I washed my brushes in the tub caused more solution into the bearing caps drying them out causing them to dry prematurely.
Maybe a combo of use and maintenance adding up.

steve_64

I know we have corrosive air here too. Maybe it's storage between cleaning also. I'll take better care of the 15 and see what happens.

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Steve Lawrence
Okay, who revitalized this old thread?

People are going to think there's a special on 10" CRB's.

BTW, is there a good place to purchase ball bearings for these things?

Reactions: DAT

SamIam

Name
sam miller
All the complaining I've done and not one person came forward to help. But I'm use to that n life. Gotta do things for yourself.

The problem i ran into isn't wiping the machine down and cleaning brushes. It's the hair and debris that gets wrapped around the shaft and driven into the bearing housing and bearings. This caused the bearings to dry out and get sloppy. I stopped using it before the gears stripped but the inside race contact loosened up. Probably what makes the gears strip over time.

When I bought mine I was told it's a tank and needs little maintenance. As far as I can tell it was only recently we were told we had to pull the bearing covers off to clean out the crud that gets packed in there. This should be written somewhere in maintenance instructions. And the screws strip out easily creating more issues. I have parts coming and the screws have been replaced with hex caps which is great.
I'm going to grease the crap out of the bearings and place a felt pad over that before putting the bearing caps back on. This should help keep ANY solution not just Procyon which I don't use, out of the bearings.
If this fails I'm replacing bearings with marine grade.

That's why you pull the brushes daily and clean the shaft, to much hair build up and it's a monster to get off.

We happen to switch between the commercial and residential brushes a lot, and I don't pre spray with Procyon.

Mine are good still.

steve_64

That's why you pull the brushes daily and clean the shaft, to much hair build up and it's a monster to get off.

We happen to switch between the commercial and residential brushes a lot, and I don't pre spray with Procyon.

Mine are good still.
I wasn't doing it after every use or daily but had I known to pull the bearing covers off to remove crud it would've helped.

Wiping the machine off and cleaning brushes doesn't do squat for the bearings.

Reactions: SamIam

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Well, this is a very informative thread...has anyone made additional improvements to the crb?

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Remove the brushes at the end of each day. You can spray out the brushes at that point to remove carpet fuzz and debris. Also give the machine a wipe down. A light spray with WD-40 on the wipe down will help. Keeping the machine clean is the key to a long life. Like any piece of equipment, a little basic maintenance goes a long way.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Steve Lawrence
Remove the brushes at the end of each day. You can spray out the brushes at that point to remove carpet fuzz and debris. Also give the machine a wipe down. A light spray with WD-40 on the wipe down will help. Keeping the machine clean is the key to a long life. Like any piece of equipment, a little basic maintenance goes a long way.
How does this prevent the bearings from rusting?

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Wiping down the machine won't necessarily eliminate corrosion in the bearings. However, most of the machines we've seen that had damaged bearings have also been neglected. Most of these machines are loaded up with grime! And a machine that's totally crudded up is much more likely to have various maintenance issues. Wiping it down with a little bit of WD-40 also helps to displace moisture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Lawrence

steve_64

The bearings should be sealed used a grommet much like on a ball joint. Just a rubber boot held on with the bearing covers should be made.

Then you could even add a grease fitting to the outside of the housing.

After talking with several people about this I will probably grease the face of the bearing and then put a felt pad over that to keep the grease from getting on the rug and help keep the gunk from getting to the bearing. This will have to be replaced often though and repacked with grease.

Other than a rubber grommet and very expensive bearings I'm not sure how else to keep moisture out of the bearing housing which is where the problem lyes.

I do like these machines though.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
At this point there has to be hundreds of thousands of thes units out working and if the salt Prespray is what the manufacturer is saying is eating the bearings , then I would take note.

We literally spray our down with water on each job, even into the bearing housing, and have yet to have any problems., but I don't use any salt based Prespray.

MAYBE THIS IS WHY PROCYON. CAME OUT WITH THEIR OWN CRB BECAUSE IT WAS KNOWN TO THEM.

steve_64

I hate changing product but guess I need to try. Is there a product that doesn't void warranty or that can be used safely and has been tested?

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian

I would always clean out the machine daily and remove the brushes at the end of the week, but obviously that wasn't enough. In the owners manual, if you want to call it that, it doesn't say much about maintenance except to use the little paint brush and remove dirt build up.

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
I hate changing product but guess I need to try. Is there a product that doesn't void warranty or that can be used safely and has been tested?

Lately, I have been using this and surprisingly it's working well. benefect-impact-carpet-fabric-cleaner.

Reactions: steve_64

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas

Only a few pre-sprays are salt-based. In fact, the only pre-spray that's presented corrosive issues has been Procyon. I imagine that other TSP based products could do the same thing. But so far all the machines with bearing failure have been with Procyon.

steve_64

Only a few pre-sprays are salt-based. In fact, the only pre-spray that's presented corrosive issues has been Procyon. I imagine that other TSP based products could do the same thing. But so far all the machines with bearing failure have been with Procyon.
I only used prozyme plus and I just broke the housing trying to remove a bearing.

So close to tossing it in the river.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I'm with Steve. Check with Reg. They're good people. They've always tried hard to extend themselves to help our customers.

rick imby

Name
Rick
The question I would have is the combination of using the CRB on Tile---What Chems are you using on Tile? and getting it really wet and then using it with the Procyon on carpet. It might be a combination of different chemicals and the depth of water it gets used in.

Are most users of the CRB using it 95% just on carpet? I've never seen Mark Saiger's crew doing tile and grout... So with northern cleaners doing less tile and grout than the southern cleaners----

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom