10" CRB Sale

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Are the bearings not sealed bearings?!
That's an interesting question. Looking at Mike's picture of the gear train it looks like the upper bearings (that you can see) are shielded, not sealed. So now I wonder if the lower bearings (the one(s) that failed, that you can't see in the picture) are sealed or not. The parts list simply shows them as 6003 - that implies a completely open bearing. A sealed bearing would have a part number something like 6003-2RS (2 rubber seals), and a shielded bearing would be 6003-ZZ or similar. If the lower bearings are shielded then they are protected from dust and debris, but not liquid entry.

If the lower bearings are shielded then switching to sealed may help. One report of a problem doesn't mean an epidemic though...

crbgears2.jpg

bearings.png

rick imby

Name
Rick

Fred---great video---you look really good in a lab coat. I always thought you were a little older.

I still have a problem with WD40 blowing past the O ring and ruining the grease that the O-rings are designed to protect.-- I could be wrong.

In the Bicycle industry we don't have o-ring chains because of the extra resistance in the chain.

He also admitted that a lot of people in the Motorcycle industry agree with me.....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Weren't these gadgets designed for dry compound cleaning?

In the dry compound system very little preconditioner is used. Likely why its seems they aren't designed to protect the preconditioning solution from getting into the bearings.

The problem does seem simple, stay away from using excessively corrosive solutions.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
That's an interesting question. Looking at Mike's picture of the gear train it looks like the upper bearings (that you can see) are shielded, not sealed. So now I wonder if the lower bearings (the one(s) that failed, that you can't see in the picture) are sealed or not. The parts list simply shows them as 6003 - that implies a completely open bearing. A sealed bearing would have a part number something like 6003-2RS (2 rubber seals), and a shielded bearing would be 6003-ZZ or similar. If the lower bearings are shielded then they are protected from dust and debris, but not liquid entry.

If the lower bearings are shielded then switching to sealed may help. One report of a problem doesn't mean an epidemic though...

View attachment 18801

View attachment 18802

I have some extra Bearings for these units in my shop...I will see if I can find them and post...

I ended up putting new end caps on totally vs try to replace the bearings....much quicker and they were preassembled....plus....6-7 years of use and abuse....I did well with them....

They have treated me quite good....better than I have treated them. :icon_redface:

steve_64

I've yet to lube anything on mine. I don't even clean it at the end of the day

Occasionally take it apart and wash it all up real good and put it back in the van, with the brown brushes on.

Mine has pitted on the inside where the brushes are but who cares.

Screw the 175, to heavy for daily use and the crb does better on trashed polyester traffic lanes.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

regarossa

Name
Reg Rogers
IMG_8685.JPG
IMG_8686.JPG
IMG_8687.JPG
IMG_8688.JPG
IMG_8689.JPG
IMG_8690.JPG
IMG_8553.JPG

Yes, as you can see the bearings are sealed. The problem is when the machine is allowed to degrade in maintenance levels to a point that excessive amounts of debris and or corrosion gets in behind the those protective plates, it becomes a problem. Here are some pics of the machine after we took it apart... Keep in mind, these machines are damn near bomb proof. It takes a very bad environment for this to occur

Last edited by a moderator:

regarossa

Name
Reg Rogers
IMG_8554.JPG
IMG_8555.JPG
IMG_8556.JPG
Here are a few more. Notice how in the last two pics the level of corrosion. Those areas are near the top of the machine. The spring has a lot of rust and the corrosion on the side plates indicate possible intrusion from the top of the machine.

regarossa

Name
Reg Rogers
IMG_8252.JPG
IMG_8253.JPG
IMG_8255.JPG
IMG_8256.JPG
IMG_8257.JPG
IMG_8258.JPG
IMG_8259.JPG
IMG_8260.JPG
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8262.JPG
Here are pics from a machine that the user had let it go to a point of no return from a maintenance standpoint. This is not connected to the other issue. Just bad maintenance...

IMG_8252.JPG

Reactions: Zee

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Yikes. Surely that bearing was making noise for quite a while. There is a way to get that outer race out of the housing, but the side plate probably should have been replaced anyway....

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
holy snikitysnacks!

:eekk::eekk::eekk:

Did Steve get a contract to clean the Titanic?

The way I understand it, the last batch of "crudy horror show" is not Steve's....but an example of another unit being in a rather neglected state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Nate W.
So is the 10" pro model still susceptible to doing that? Aside from not pulling off the hair and letting chemicals residue build up, it seems like the CRB that can be used in a wash pit may be the better route for those who don't like to maintain there equipment...

It's probably best to not lay the crb on it's side to clean them out either... Seems like "technicians" are probably driving water and sh!t further into the bearings if laid on it's side... Maybe a spray or two of Antisieze on the end caps would help with water getting into the bearings?

I have only experience with the Windsor icapsol crb... Paid $300 for it off CL and more than paid for itself when we picked up the Tandus accounts... It's not the greatest, but suits my needs for the price... It broke a belt and has corrosion on the bottom aluminum where the powder coating flaked off, but still works great...

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Maybe one of you distributors/dealers should make a video about proper cleaning and maintenance procedures.

Show where it can be washed and how it can be cleaned out properly.....

Instead of the clichés "proper maintenance" or "needs to be cleaned after each day of use".
Well, show them how and where and what can be done.

Name
Nate W.
Maybe one of you distributors/dealers should make a video about proper cleaning and maintenance procedures.

Instead of the clichés "proper maintenance" or "needs to be cleaned after each day of use".

Maybe a well-formulated video is in order...

Reactions: ruff and cleanking

steve_64

I'd still only clean mine occasionally lol. It doesn't sound like everyone is having a problem.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
You know, corrosion like that in aluminum and steel is (in my experience) caused more by leaving the metal wet for long periods more so than just having contaminants present. Steve, I wonder if your usage and/or storage habits somehow keep the moisture from evaporating after you have used/rinsed your CRB? Just a thought...

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas

It's pretty simple really. A video would be overkill.

After each job, or at the end of the day:
1. Remove the brushes & vacuum the brushes.
2. Wipe out the housing with a mild detergent and a rag.
3. Reinstall the brushes.
~ Periodically polish the the metal cover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom