10" CRB Sale

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No kidding those brushes look awful. Talk about cross contamination. You guys are worried about vacuum brushes, those look like they plowed a sewage field. :eekk:

I think you have to soak those puppies over night in some disinfectant or betadine. :winky:

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It's pretty simple really. A video would be overkill.

After each job, or at the end of the day:
1. Remove the brushes & vacuum the brushes.
2. Wipe out the housing with a mild detergent and a rag.
3. Reinstall the brushes.
~ Periodically polish the the metal cover.

See Rick, that's why it wouldn't be an overkill to do a video: you're saying wipe it out with a mild detergent.
Now in the field of carpet cleaning techs, that very well could translate to -for example - Procyon. I'm sure you see where this goes...

Service: "Machine broken because it wasn't properly maintained "

User: "I read online to use mild detergent and for us that's Procyon"

Service: "....which is exactly what damaged your unit..."

So I encourage all manufacturers and distributors to cut the politician talk and be more clear on what you're saying because most of us dorks are just that.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Last edited:
Reactions: regarossa

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
But seriously, seven pages on this thread and those of you that will ultimately decide how much a brokedick will pay for a rebuild, still haven't provided a clear procedure.

This thread discussed the idea of applying wd40...and how bad that can be.
Also mentioned the washing out...and how bad or dangerous/damaging that can be.
Then it was said to simply wipe the unit...

So what exactly is a procedure that you distributors, sellers, servicers will accept when machines are coming in? It seems like an easy way out, to tell guys: you didn't maintain it right...

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Fact is, this machine was damaged only because it was exposed to a corrosive detergent. Not because of any failure to wipe it down.
Salt is highly corrosive! Just think of all those cars exposed to road salt (before they started building cars out of plastic).

Car-Rust-808x455.jpg

Wiping the machine down is good housekeeping.
Keeping your equipment clean (all equipment) helps it to run longer.
This is not overly complicated. Just some simple cleaning at the end of the day.
Take care of your stuff, and it will take care of you. :)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Since Reg is the distributor to Rick etc. he should step in.

Rick, many moons ago, I spent time both in the Peruvian and Ecuadorian rain forest. That water will do wonders for these machines.

Also, Zee is Magyar. You got to give him pictures he can relate to.
There you go Zee-

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Don't worry, if mark hasn't already done a video, it's only a matter of time

I almost did one today after our first job....

We take and roll the brushes in reverse to remove hair... Even use Vac hose to suck the brushes clean.

We seriously have in the past abused the crap out of our machines.

It wasn't until 7 years or so later we saw the effects of our abuse and not taking care of the units that I had to finally replace parts.

I seriously will never be without this little unit... EVER!

This little unit is an uzi machine gun really that packs a lot of punch for its size... And just the right size and weight that it comes off the van 5 to 10 times a day!

We have two units... One on each van... Absolutely a must have for us!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Fact is, this machine was damaged only because it was exposed to a corrosive detergent. Not because of any failure to wipe it down.
Salt is highly corrosive! Just think of all those cars exposed to road salt (before they started building cars out of plastic).

Car-Rust-808x455.jpg

Wiping the machine down is good housekeeping.
Keeping your equipment clean (all equipment) helps it to run longer.
This is not overly complicated. Just some simple cleaning at the end of the day.
Take care of your stuff, and it will take care of you. :)

Again Rick...that's a perfectly non committal response. And you even left out the mild detergent with the wipe down.
I'm sure we're all adults here (with the exception of those few..you know who you are) and know what salt does to metals. Now let's leave that out of your response and we gained nothing.
Really, I'm not trying to pick on you! I'm trying to get some actual written answers to what the guys are wondering about and what will save them money by performing acceptable maintenance. (that is acceptable to you or Reg or whomever)

FredC

Village Idiot
Fact is, this machine was damaged only because it was exposed to a corrosive detergent.

Is that the only reason? Didn't he have other machines that used the same detergent but didn't meet the same fate?

In all those pictures Reg posted of other machines the cause was not using your juice.....sorry....... I mean using a "corrosive detergent"?

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I tried to make this as simple as possible.
Fact is, salt is corrosive. Obviously, there's a need to avoid corrosives.
Most carpet detergents are not corrosive and won't harm the metal.

Vac it out. Wipe it down.
This isn't rocket science.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Is there a warning that Procyon will destroy this machine? If the answer is no then the liability is the manufacturers for not including that in the paperwork or the Seller... not the purchaser. That isn't Rocket Science either.

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Mine is the 15 inch so I think it may be a different animal. I use Procyon and Encapuclean DS with Maxim. I just removed my brushes and cleaned the base with dish soap (Dawn, you know that's mild). Soaked my brushes in Dawn and rinsed them off. Sprayed wd 40 on the inside of the base and wiped it off. Reinstalled the the brushes with some wd 40 on the axles and tips. When I am done for the day, I lay my machine on its side and with the brushes spinning, I rinse them with a hose. I also do this on the job when the brushes get too clogged. There is some pitting on the metal but overall it is good shape. I bought this machine used and who knows how it was maintained before I got it. When I spray the machine, there is no way for water to get inside, unless I am very careless with the hose.
IMG_20161018_180829.jpg
IMG_20161018_181524.jpg

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Is there a warning that Procyon will destroy this machine? If the answer is no then the liability is the manufacturers for not including that in the paperwork or the Seller... not the purchaser. That isn't Rocket Science either.

Bob,

Prior to all this I didn't know that Procyon was corrosive. We don't sell Procyon. If we did sell it, I think it would be reasonable to warn customers that it may damage metallic components.

As a seller of machines; I can't realistically foresee all the various chemicals an end user might expose their machine to. Normally, a chemical manufacturer will display information on their label and/or the SDS sheet warning when a product is corrosive. The problem is, most folks don't tell us all the products they use. And unless they tell us they're using Product-X we can't come out and tell them to avoid a competitor's product.

I live in Florida, and the salt content in the air will corrode outdoor metal fixtures in costal areas. If salt laden air can corrode metal, it would seem prudent to thoroughly wash any metal parts that are directly exposed to chemicals containing a high salt content - regardless of the machine.

I will say though, that with the most basic level of care, the machine will perform flawlessly. Keep the machine clean, that's about all there is to it. You can wipe down the metal parts with WD40 if you'd like (but don't spray it into the bearings). It really is simple. And there are so many of these machines that out there. They've been running hard for years, and they're holding up well. When they're exposed to "normal" pH carpet detergents there doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator

Or Soap Free or One Earth 210 or Magic Potion or...

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
The quote feature doesn't work for me using Safari Fred.
I live in Florida, and the salt content in the air will corrode outdoor metal fixtures. Me too Rick, SW Florida.
I agree Rick. But Procyon is a popular one... Seems the 10 inch unit is mostly about agitation so it will likely see Procyon regularly. I guess I don't think most small cleaning companies are savy enough to understand the chemistry but are purchasing via marketing and in some cases these Boards or Social Media... what other guys are using. You know this Industry as well as me or anyone so if there is an issue with Procyon - Or Soap Free or One Earth or Magic Potion then there needs to be a warning.
If you didn't know it is an issue before, well you know now so the next guy to purchase has had fair warning.
Anyway... That's what I would do.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Zee, what Rick meant to say was Wipe down your Brush Pro with a solution of 1 ounce of Viper 7 per gallon of water. Use a damp cotton cloth. Followed by a dry cloth.

Reactions: dgardner

steve_64

Cleaned tile last nite with viper citrus. Haven't cleaned my crb in over a months use.

I've always believed in not over cleaning lol.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Interesting. As for bearings, ive always use skateboard lube for protected bearing...but id imagine for corrosive environment, one should dab a little bit grease protectant on the bearings instead of just plain ol oil lube. Wd 40 is strictly for cleaning or drying even tho it states it can lubricate... It falls in its own category, "penentrating lubricate," it drys out quick and ya gotta lube up again.. I do use it for my crb but only for cleaning. Knowing your oils/grease is a life saver when it comes to maintenance of your machinery..

steve_64

I know I'm a dik but I'd stalk every post with my experience and let the prospective buyer be the judge. :twisted: Did I offend you?
No you didn't, this is not a personal attack.

I'm merely stating if it had happened to me I would not be as understanding with either the CRB seller or the chemical manufacturer. It didn't happen to everyone in the buy group so I would expect some support from both parties. Not the two of them pointing fingers leaving me out in the cold.
All the complaining I've done and not one person came forward to help. But I'm use to that n life. Gotta do things for yourself.

The problem i ran into isn't wiping the machine down and cleaning brushes. It's the hair and debris that gets wrapped around the shaft and driven into the bearing housing and bearings. This caused the bearings to dry out and get sloppy. I stopped using it before the gears stripped but the inside race contact loosened up. Probably what makes the gears strip over time.

When I bought mine I was told it's a tank and needs little maintenance. As far as I can tell it was only recently we were told we had to pull the bearing covers off to clean out the crud that gets packed in there. This should be written somewhere in maintenance instructions. And the screws strip out easily creating more issues. I have parts coming and the screws have been replaced with hex caps which is great.
I'm going to grease the crap out of the bearings and place a felt pad over that before putting the bearing caps back on. This should help keep ANY solution not just Procyon which I don't use, out of the bearings.
If this fails I'm replacing bearings with marine grade.

Reactions: shadygrady

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom