Marketing Mutiny?

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
NobleCarpetCleaners said:
Come on people, another room, another chat, another board? My days in this industry are numbered but I'm certainly not going out silent of a few things. There's too many entities peeing on everyone telling them it's raining. Be a great industry if it weren't for the customers, suppliers and the gurus.

LOL

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
sad-clowns-motivational.jpg

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ford Fairlane said:
What do ya say Chavez... you seem the "quality" business more than the "cheap" business...
Lisa we're not cheap, we're one of the highest in our area. Our service is are all about value, paying more but getting more too!

However this is Kansas not the East or West coast, so while high for the area .35 sq/ft is cheap in other areas of the country.

Saying that, what I've observed over the years on the board, is there are many very successful business that operate with different models. Trying to pigeon hole them to compare who we are is just not reasonable.

Truthfully we are much more of a restoration company than a carpet cleaning company (81% Fire or Water), but carpet cleaners have more fun, so here I am! :mrgreen:

I think Groupon is very interesting and if we can figure out a deal that wouldn't hurt too much we might give it a try. :shock:

Not for the reasons you'd immediately think, but for the cross marketing of other services. My company name and services will be piped directly into targeted homes that fit our demographic. I like that!

I also like the guerrilla warfare tactics of I'm in the homes of my competitor client's. It's a unique opportunity, a stage to put on your best show and possibly steal a client or two, I like that too. :twisted:

I think if you can get past the cheap cleaning price and look at the big picture of the life time value of a customer, then Groupon makes a little more sense.

Is it for everyone? I don't think so, I can see where it could hurt a company, but for us, I can't see where it would hurt us. So it might be worth a try. ???

I knew you were quality focused Chavez - I meant what I wrote, no sarcasm. (I know you're shocked.) :shock:

Someone struggling going into a massive loss leader campaign for new business, digging that hole from the get-go with no resources (money or labor) to back them up is a recipe for disaster.

You have an existing list of clients. I'd actually craft a campaign to your existing list for repeat and referral business first, then leverage into joint ventures with other companies that serve the level of clients you want as cleaning clients first. It would not only be more profitable, but you get those new clients in choosing you because you are a quality outfit - and not because you are the cheapest.

If you wanted to make Groupon work in a way that would be much more profitable than Brian's framework of pricing - you could sell gift cards for your services at 50% off. One day only. This would mean they would need to call you to use them, and learn the services you offer, so they still go through the educational process - and come in as a better first time client. Rather than coming in with "hey, just clean my house for $75!"

They also could give them to others if they are not using them.

You have the longevity and resources to make a loss leader campaign work - so would Snow and O'Haleck and some of the other larger operations. People who have systems in place.

I've seen so many cleaning companies come to us at the end of their rope, and I've seen the bad decisions they've made to get to that point, and I know I will see many more as people who are desperate jump on this bandwagon because they see "200 new customers!" and do not realize that if they end up having costs of $50-100 or more in time/labor/supplies/frustration - they are going to campaign themselves out of business.

You have to think through this process very strategically. But you already know that.

Thanks for the post,
Lisa

Burtz

the only true road to enlightenment is pay joe and lisa 1000 bucks a month up front and they will guide you to the gold pot at the end of the rainbow

Or

just buy a few dan kennedy books

free room offer is a lost leader

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you wanted to make Groupon work in a way that would be much more profitable than Brian's framework of pricing - you could sell gift cards for your services at 50% off. One day only. This would mean they would need to call you to use them, and learn the services you offer, so they still go through the educational process - and come in as a better first time client. Rather than coming in with "hey, just clean my house for $75!"
Damn girl, that's exactly what we are looking at. Iseeru

It can be used for all the services we provide from Oriental rugs to Air Duct cleaning. It might be worth giving it a whirl, I was initially against it, but my sister in-law checks Groupon religiously and they dine out in KC quite a bit using Groupon. The neighborhood they live in would be the demographic we are targeting, so it just could be that Groupon has some value. :?:

rick imby

Name
Rick
You have an existing list of clients. I'd actually craft a campaign to your existing list for repeat and referral business first, then leverage into joint ventures with other companies that serve the level of clients you want as cleaning clients first. It would not only be more profitable, but you get those new clients in choosing you because you are a quality outfit - and not because you are the cheapest.

They also could give them to others if they are not using them.

You have the longevity and resources to make a loss leader campaign work - so would Snow and O'Haleck and some of the other larger operations. People who have systems in place.

I've seen so many cleaning companies come to us at the end of their rope, and I've seen the bad decisions they've made to get to that point, and I know I will see many more as people who are desperate jump on this bandwagon because they see "200 new customers!" and do not realize that if they end up having costs of $50-100 or more in time/labor/supplies/frustration - they are going to campaign themselves out of business.

You have to think through this process very strategically. But you already know that.

Thanks for the post,
Lisa[/quote]

Data Mining Chavez.

I believe you have a big database of old customers.

I would break all of your customers down by the services they have used and when. Make a bunch of different groups.

Then market to all the different groups to Your and their best advantage.

For instance you have some customers that have only used your restoration service. Give them a special they cannot pass up to try your carpet service or air duct service or stud service.

A simple way to start your new individual marketing campaign is to take one customer file and market to her.

Then take another customer and try to specifically market to her.

Within about 10 customers you will start to build groups of customers. Keep working on it one customer at a time.

We often forget we need to focus on one Mrs Piflt at a time.

Lisa, Great quote of Mike Tyson. Have you ever been knocked out? Coming to is like when your foot falls asleep only your whole body has the same feeling at once.

Mike Tyson--So bright-- so out of control--so screwed by a bad legal system....
I am more ashamed of the girl who cried rape when she went to his room at two in the morning with Neglege on and on our system that put him in jail.

Rick

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Lisa,
Let me explain this to you.

I've said the O/O would not be able to do Groupon on his/her own.
I don't push Groupon on anyone...just the idea of thinking outside the box.

If an O/O teamed up with other O/Os they could make it work but I'm not sure you're not fond of cleaners helping their "competition".

I've always said that an O/O should go for the higher price and sell more services in the home AND focus on higher end clients.
Groupon brings these clients...I don't care what you say about that because I know better.

Jen uses Groupons and is what I consider to be the ideal client....she WAS my client before we got together years ago and she will tell you that my customer service was and is top notch, my prices are set to make a profit and my workman ship was and is at a level to justify those prices.

I'm not sure where you think you get "Brian's pricing structure from" but I'll just chalk that up to you grasping for bad things to say about me.

Anyway, you can take it or leave it.

I'm thinking you don't like Groupon because you THINK it goes against everything you teach and it scares you that there just might be other ways out there to grow one's business.
What do YOU charge to bring people jobs?

I've done Groupon...I've made money with Groupon.

Until you do it, your opinion of it is biased and purely theoretical.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Rick I know you've hit me over the head with mining our data base, but Groupon is for Lawrence. While we are not unknown, we are not at all top of the mind when it comes to cleaning and restoration that we are in Topeka.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
We've all marketed to our clients...as we should

We've all tried different advertising with good bad or ugly results

We've all put out that un-beatable deal that is "supposed" to bring in clients...even if it's just a "free room" :roll:

Fact of the matter is ....Groupon brings you 100s of jobs in just one day with NO money out of your pocket.

Nothing else has done that or is doing that.

If you can't handle it DON'T DO IT.

Plain and simple...if you don't understand the risk before you take the risk.....failure was there before you began.

This has been a moment with Brian. !gotcha!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Damn...I think I impressed myself with that last post. lmao.

I'm off to clean some carpets...be back later.

Can't wait for the responses.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Brian R said:

After you impress yourself so much, be sure to wash your hands.

Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
LisaWagnerCRS said:
Brian R said:

Lisa

Yes dear...do you have problems with that "not so fresh feeling" ?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LisaWagnerCRS said:
Brian R said:

Lisa

shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

dgargan

Lisa wrote
"Someone struggling going into a massive loss leader campaign for new business, digging that hole from the get-go with no resources (money or labor) to back them up is a recipe for disaster".

If I remember right don't all of Joe's letter and ad's promote a free room cleaning, free cleaning in 6 months and so forth? They all give something away yet you put down Groupon where you always make some money on every job, and you get a chance to make a new client and upsell for more money. With the 3 letter deal you have a ton of prep work with the letters, costs of stamps, lists, paper, printing and envelopes and your giving away free cleaning with no guarantee of cash on every job. Groupon costs you nothing to send out and there is no work on your part to get it out there. Seems like a no brainer to me. I'm just sayin

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL I still remember Joe sending me a crisp $1.00 bill to read his sales later.......I sent it back with thanks but no thanks. I wonder if I was the only one to do that? :mrgreen:

I hate those serial letters, pretty damn annoying. I don't even read them anymore, just toss them as I get them. Too wordy, just not that interested in hearing the pitch!

Don't get me wrong it must work or people wouldn't still be using them. ???

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ford Fairlane said:
LOL I still remember Joe sending me a crisp $1.00 bill to read his sales later.......I sent it back with thanks but no thanks. I wonder if I was the only one to do that? :mrgreen:

I hate those serial letters, pretty damn annoying. I don't even read them anymore, just toss them as I get them. Too wordy, just not that interested in hearing the pitch!

Don't get me wrong it must work or people wouldn't still be using them. ???

I feel guilty- I kept it and then threw the info in the recycle bin. :mrgreen:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I feel guilty- I kept it and then through the info in the recycle bin. :mrgreen:
I was temped to, but then I figured that's what was expected and .........well doing what's expected just ain't me. :lol:

I figured what would would be more shocking than to get the dollar back. (I know I'm stupid, it cost me a stamp) :mrgreen:

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Ford Fairlane said:
I feel guilty- I kept it and then through the info in the recycle bin. :mrgreen:
I was temped to, but then I figured that's what was expected and .........well doing what's expected just ain't me. :lol:

I figured what would would be more shocking than to get the dollar back. (I know I'm stupid, it cost me a stamp) :mrgreen:

At least you were honest and didn't take the dollar...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
He wasn't honest.
He was just too lazy to peel it off :p

Besides, he suspected it was a new scheme by his legendary ex :|

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
you should have carefully opened it and then closed it and then write...Not at this address.

would that be wrong to make the USPS send it back??

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I can't stand the Boston Globe so they always send these subscription forms if you want to sign up and with the prepaid postage on it so I always just close the envelope and stick it in the mail. 42 cent loss for them

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Between Brian and Lisa we would have some great ideas come out. Instead of a hot seat we could have a brain storm in the chat room.

I'm going to be trying Wagsta, like Groupon but there is a $ and time limit

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ron, you bring up a good point that has been touched on but not really talked about.

Living Social and other "Groupon esc" companies would be great for the owner operator to get 30 or 40 jobs lined up. Sometimes more but I bet you could put a lower cap on the amount of jobs like 100 or so.

AND they tend to take a lesser % AND AND they let you do deals that are a little more in the O/Os favor.

Groupon is the grand daddy of this stuff...and I say go big or don't go.

But I know that isn't they way some do it.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
There are literally dozens of options for these types of programs if someone is interested. Every local network tv affiliate, radio group and most print pubs are offering this type of program. I am happily telling them all that I will pass. Great perhaps for someone trying to build a brand like Brian or Richard in his carpet cleaning division but no dice for moi.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You're special Ken....and your business is so well established you can do whatever you like.

So what would YOU do as an O/O to gain more customers?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom