Predict the Zipper Phenomenon..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
You hillbilly

that would be the Appalachian Range part of the Ohio (south part of the state)
I was born and raised in the north east part...only hillbillies here are the ones that rolled north for work in the factories

Hillbilly doesn't fit me....."white trash" would be more appropriate.....Dipwad

..L.T.A.

Name
Marcus
The only negative thing I have to say about the Zipper is that it leaves wand marks/nap reversal in the carpet/rug that will have to be groomed out If you are so inclined. When I use the a regular wand I can limit this trait.. The Positives of the Zipper out weighs the negative.

If you can only handle a 1 1/2 inch wand-- then you are not "man enough" for the Zipper :stir:

Try changing the jets to larger jets or wider jets....11002 or 11003 s
You can also clean forward and dry backwards with trigger off...
Cap

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I see what you are saying....but running a vacuum is still cheaper than running the truckmount for a longer period on the same job and not to mention the carpet will get more moisture possibly a lot longer dry times.
And don't overlook the fact that the vacuum removes 2 pounds of dry stuff and what I figure to be about 2 pounds of WET mud in the inline filter is just that: wet. So its heavy because of the moisture and the vacuuming wasn't wasted or inferior.

So why not run a cheap vacuum cleaner instead of the expensive truckmount to achieve the same results?

It may be cheaper to run a vacuum cleaner than a truck mount, but a buck saved operating the vacuum instead of the TM may end up costing more time, and as you say, you will "achieve the same result."

Though the mud in your filter contains some minimal weight in moisture, the TM and RV still did remove more soil after vacuuming. Chances are that in spending more time cleaning, the carpet fibers end up being cleaner and brighter as well.

Also, if you have a vacuum balanced system, you should be able to spend more time and take more cleaning passes without fear of over wetting.

There are many ways of marketing to get the edge on competitors by offering a unique selling position, pre vacuuming being only one of those.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I'm not convinced Loren :lol:

Mikey, Fred, can you guys put up a poll to see how many people all of a sudden "come out" as non vacuuming hacks? :lol:

Weird....how it seems more and more around here, leaning towards not vacuuming.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I'm not convinced Loren :lol:

Mikey, Fred, can you guys put up a poll to see how many people all of a sudden "come out" as non vacuuming hacks? :lol:

Barry costa always used to teach there was more than one way to get things done in his class. You have admitted that you will "achieve the same result" either way, so how is one cleaner a hack and the other cleaner not a hack when the final product is the same?

Reactions: Art Kelley

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Figure of speech, saying "same results"

I was meaning that in reply to your comment about getting the end product the same (with the same amount of soil removed)

I actually don't believe wetting all that dust/sand/etc first, is good. I would bet, it will be a cleaner result if you dry vacuumed most of that first before introducing moisture.

Just because Barry Costa taught there is more than one way to get things done, doesn't make all of them the right way. You can change oil in a car, by sucking the oil out through the fill opening instead of removing the drain bolt. It's going to be the same end result...

Anyways, I don't mean to argue over the merits of vacuuming before cleaning. This has been discussed over and over again.

Last edited:

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I understand that some believe that air will remove more soil than water, and sometimes it may be true, but all cleaners use water to remove soil left behind by the vacuum cleaner. And there is no doubt that the water does remove even more "Dust, sand, etc."

Just some things I think about in my spare time. :)

Reactions: Art Kelley

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've just always assumed the studies that say nearly 80% of the dry soil is removed through vacuuming were valid. We vacuum to get as much out as we can but using a Rotovac you can see that there is still plenty left in the carpet. The bottom is usually covered in fine particulate after cleaning.

Plus as Marty mentioned not everything will be sucked up by the edger (scrub wand) or the Zipper or Rotovac.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Studies aside, I guess the point I am proposing is that if you have a pair of pants with two pockets, does it matter if one pocket contains 80% of soil and another pocket contains 20% of soil? Or if you have all 100% of soil in one pocket and 0% of soil in the other pocket? Each pair of pants still contains 100% of the soil.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Prevacuuming (which is the proper terminology when you run an electric vacuum before running a monster vacuum) offers psychological satisfaction before real cleaning begins. It may be an intangible and unmeasurable benefit, but who among us can say this is wrong?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Studies aside, I guess the point I am proposing is that if you have a pair of pants with two pockets, does it matter if one pocket contains 80% of soil and another pocket contains 20% of soil? Or if you have all 100% of soil in one pocket and 0% of soil in the other pocket? Each pair of pants still contains 100% of the soil.
I don't think you're wrong Loren. I just question if the water would limit some of the soil you would be able to remove dry.

Butt other that sleeping at a Holiday Inn I haven't the foggiest. ;)

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I don't think you're wrong Loren. I just question if the water would limit some of the soil you would be able to remove dry.

Butt other that sleeping at a Holiday Inn I haven't the foggiest. ;)

Kind of like asking if a wind storm or a flood would remove more of the ground soil.? :)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

vaccing is more of a board phenomenon than anything .
The vast majority in the biz vac very rarely if at all
many don't even have a vac on the van

..L.T.A.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
vaccing is more of a board phenomenon than anything .
The vast majority in the biz vac very rarely if at all
many don't even have a vac on the van

..L.T.A.

And lemme guess...all those "vast majority in the biz" also tout their certified status and their certified techs right...? Throwing out one of the very basics of the standards where certifications would be earned by any associations... Vacuuming.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
all those "vast majority in the biz" also tout their certified status and their certified techs right...?

yeppers ...you know it and I know it

I'll go as far as to say a fair amount (maybe even a majority??) of the sCampooers don't vac before smearing their pixie dust sauce

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I know Larr... We're on the same page. I did a short stint with one of Denver's bigger outfits, out of necessity years back...and their best tech took me on training for two days.. (I already had 7 years working on my own) to make sure I was telling the truth by saying I have carpet cleaning experience.

I ended up explaining him a bunch of things and was questioning him the whole time about the lack of vacuum cleaner and lack of any chemicals other than some weakass prespray and the emulsifier they used for everything. He was clueless... Their best tech.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Able 1

Name
Keith
And lemme guess...all those "vast majority in the biz" also tout their certified status and their certified techs right...? Throwing out one of the very basics of the standards where certifications would be earned by any associations... Vacuuming.
Certified by who? An organization that doesn't answer the phone? Well my phone is ringing,and I answer.. I'm good with that!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Oh and lemme clear this up, before you think I'm the patch wearing dork with the certifications.... I have taken one upholstery cleaning class in my life. Never had any of the other certifications...and never needed it or never felt their value.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Zee is from Hungary.
All this hot paprika makes them Hungarians, super vacuum happy. It's not their fault.

Evidently, Marty's been on an international culinary expedition. And his friend the grass watcher from Topeka, too.

I can't wait to see what happens with their cleaning routines, once they discover southern Indian or Thai cuisine :winky:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom