Quad 5.7 vs Dual 6.6

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Mine has 2 stacks n 2 filters.

Larry your text n graph don't match each other.. also your graph is on "relative performance"-- is that just opinion based or something more measurable n scientific?
I did noticed your graph proves parallel is better.

I thinking this might be the case:
1.5 hose setup needs more lift.-- it needs more lift to overcome the resistance of narrow hose.
2 inch needs more CFM-- because it can handle it better then 1.5 due to less resistance.
The only reason that I did the manifold and 1 stack was to lower the amperage on the vac motors. I needed to run on 2-15 amp circuits. I am going to play around with the 8.4's this summer and try 2 stacks vs 1 and see which works better. I have an old aluminum tank to play with. If I go with just the 1, I am going to try 4 inches into 2.5 or 3 and see if I have enough amps left for the pump.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
But can it run 150 ft of 2 inch hose? Not to knock your machine Larry but it doesn't look like it was designed for 2 inch hose. Correct me if I am wrong. The vacuums are certainly powerful enough but the design doesn't let them run to their full potential if you are strangling them with 1 1/2 inch plumbing. You're not suggesting to run all 1 1/2 inch hose are you? 150 feet of it?

Ron; RPM on the Vac motors changes very slightly from 7/8" to 5/8" wand orifice (23K to 24K).

We are installing a 2" vac inlet.
One one 2" hose connecting the vacs to the recovery tank.
2" Hose is always required for 50 ft. or more.
Measured extractor today at 15" hg. Full vac potential will be achieved.

This dual purpose extractor is going to be EPIC . . .
with the efficient 3/4HP Cat pump system
and a brand new Hi-cfm rotomolded 12" wand head we have modified.

This machine & wand are going to be way ahead of any portable equipment on the market.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The 2 inch hose barb will really help alot. Those 6.6's really seem to be powerful. I wish we had more 20 amp circuits here so we could run pumps like that. Larry, if you are buying shells, try a parallel manifold like the Mytee or the ninja warrior and see what you think.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The 2 inch hose barb will really help alot. Those 6.6's really seem to be powerful. I wish we had more 20 amp circuits here so we could run pumps like that. Larry, if you are buying shells, try a parallel manifold like the Mytee or the ninja warrior and see what you think.

Today, we ran it side by side with a brand new Mytee 1005DX,
which has parallel hi-perf. 3 st. vacs in parallel with dual 2" stacks in recovery tank.

I don't think the parallel setup could compete,
although we didn't have time for more than brief testing.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Today, we ran it side by side with a brand new Mytee 1005DX,
which has parallel hi-perf. 3 st. vacs in parallel with dual 2" stacks in recovery tank.

I don't think the parallel setup could compete,
although we didn't have time for more than brief testing.
Let me guess. You just compared with a lift gauge?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
It was a lift gauge . . .

But I've backed it up with lots of testing with both CFM and digital lift gauges
with the wand on the carpet:

Our previous portable testing protocol is on wet carpet with a 12" CMP S-bend wand(most popular).
The wand head has a 10 pound weight to hold it on the carpet and wand is pulled in a horizontal direction while reading CFM & lift.

1860-1431562519-e86c96226817001de83907a300ca3837.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Travis Sonderegger

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
This one is for Mikey . . . since he is only @13" hg. on his Sapphire TM.
Test read 16.72" hg. ; highest we have seen in a dual cord portable.
Of course it does drop when cleaning carpet, but we still read 9" hg. at the wand while making a pass yesterday.
DC665t.jpg

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Alrighty .. I took my dual Galaxys and ran a foot long 2in vac hose with a 1.5in reducer to the inlet and the 2in end to a 2in all around Y and I end up with 12hg which is 163in of lift along with 250cfms. One of these porties is about 8-9 years old with the original vac motors that wee n whine when you shut it off. I wonder if I drilled out for a 2in inlet and new vac motors if Id get more lift n cfms.

Daul Porty Hg.JPG Dual Porty cfms.jpg NOT MY HAND .. MECHANIC ON DUTY !!

Last edited:

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
Yes technically if you take out the 1.5" barb and the drill out a 2" hole and replace with 2" barb
you should get more CFM

Alrighty .. I took my dual Galaxys and ran a foot long 2in vac hose with a 1.5in reducer to the inlet and the 2in end to a 2in all around Y and I end up with 12hg which is 163in of lift along with 250cfms. One of these porties is about 8-9 years old with the original vac motors that wee n whine when you shut it off. I wonder if I drilled out for a 2in inlet and new vac motors if Id get more lift n cfms.

View attachment 71601 View attachment 71602

Name
Nate W.
I can't comment on the Y thing but I'd suggest some lotion, a nail brush and nail clippers.... You shake people's hands with that hand? You'd get a fist bump from me.....:stir:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I can't comment on the Y thing but I'd suggest some lotion, a nail brush and nail clippers.... You shake people's hands with that hand? You'd get a fist bump from me.....:stir:

Haha .. thats not my hand .. thats the guy at the supply shop. I couldnt afford my own anemometer .. so I took it in and had him check it !! Hes the mechanic there !!

Reactions: Nate The Great
Name
Lee Stockwell
If you want to accurately measure performance of a porty you have to understand the misleading assumptions that obscure the truth.

Porty vacuum motor specs list maximum lift and cfm. Max lift at zero cfm OR max cfm @ zero lift.

Salespeople like you to think you get both at the same time, because to clean you need some of both.

A more accurate test would measure CFM at the machine exhaust and lift at the machine while pulling through a 3/4" orifice to simulate actual use.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
This one is for Mikey . . . since he is only @13" hg. on his Sapphire TM.
Test read 16.72" hg. ; highest we have seen in a dual cord portable.
Of course it does drop when cleaning carpet, but we still read 9" hg. at the wand while making a pass yesterday.
View attachment 71599
If you had enough airflow, your suction wouldn't drop. Here are 3 pics of my portable. One tested at the machine, with 50 ft of 2 inch hose, with 100 ft of 2 inch hose. No drop in suction. Between 10-11 inches hg.
IMG_20170418_155504.jpg
IMG_20170418_155338.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170418_155216.jpg
    IMG_20170418_155216.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 122

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I just threw another 50 ft on. So here's 150 ft of 2 inch hose pulling 10-11 inches hg. On a portable pulling under 30 amps on 2 power cords.

Attachments

• IMG_20170418_160705.jpg
    IMG_20170418_160705.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Spurlington

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Lee;

Our portable testing is done with AW29 wand with 10# of weight on the head on wet carpet.

That is typical cleaning operation.

We measured 9" hg while pulling the wand across the carpet in a horizontal direction only.

On the commercial loop we were on, it is a little less than 3/4" orifice (probably closer to 5/8")

We still have a 3/4" orifice fixture we have used in the past. Wet carpet closes down that orifice slightly.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Absent a leak you could show 10-11 hg with 500 ft of hose.
Yes and you are absolutely right. The only difference is the length of time to reach full vacuum potential. The more airflow, the shorter the lag time. It's more difficult to measure at the wand/carpet interface as the figures will change depending on the type of carpet/pad/wand and degree of wetness.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Id like to custom build a portie with my own configurations .. I know Sandia makes bodies for many but Im looking to do a 15 gallon tank. Anybody know anything? Who n where? Thanks !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom