Quad 5.7 vs Dual 6.6

Name
Lee Stockwell
Yes and you are absolutely right. The only difference is the length of time to reach full vacuum potential. The more airflow, the shorter the lag time. It's more difficult to measure at the wand/carpet interface as the figures will change depending on the type of carpet/pad/wand and degree of wetness.
That's why I suggest measuring cfm at the machine exhaust. It will be EXACTLY the cfm of the inlet.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I tried my own version of Larry's test on my portable and I got a maximum of 9 inches on a 2/12 westpack wand at 50 ft. 8 inches hg at 150 ft. No weight on the wand and as I do slow passes on wet level loop carpet, I fluctuate between 5 and 9 inches hg. Sealed lift is still 10-11 hg. The lift changes as the seal at the carpet changes but the available lift is still the same. 150 ft on my machine is pushing the limits but still more powerful than a basic portable. No pics as my hands were full and I'm no Saiger.

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
would like to see a chart on lift/cfm at 50 and 100' for

1. four 3 stage 5.7 vacs
2. dual 8.4 vacs
3. 33 blower

anybody got any guesses?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
for the blower not much you can do there. it will be what it will be and for the electric vacs, whatever
formation they are most effective, which i'm not sure of
For a powerful machine it would be nice to combine 2 sets of 8.4's in series going into a parallel manifold. Problem is you need 50 -60 amps just to run the vacuums, never mind the pump. Almost the same for 4-5.7's. 2-8.4's in parallel would come close to a 33 blower but you still need 25-30 amps to run the vacuums depending on the engineering. It shoild give you about 10-12 inches hg at about 240-290 cfm, again depending on the engineering.

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
What if you used a 10,000w generator rather than home electric? I suppose you could then build a machine like that and run it successfully.

You could mount it on a heavy duty cart and use the generator for the power or if you wanted to plug in a couple cords while in the house
you can do that too since you have spare energy on the cart with the genny.

The cart might be heavy so a consideration there I guess.

For a powerful machine it would be nice to combine 2 sets of 8.4's in series going into a parallel manifold. Problem is you need 50 -60 amps just to run the vacuums, never mind the pump. Almost the same for 4-5.7's. 2-8.4's in parallel would come close to a 33 blower but you still need 25-30 amps to run the vacuums depending on the engineering. It shoild give you about 10-12 inches hg at about 240-290 cfm, again depending on the engineering.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What if you used a 10,000w generator rather than home electric? I suppose you could then build a machine like that and run it successfully.

You could mount it on a heavy duty cart and use the generator for the power or if you wanted to plug in a couple cords while in the house
you can do that too since you have spare energy on the cart with the genny.

The cart might be heavy so a consideration there I guess.
Then you might as well have a gas powered truckmount.

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
Well I'm thinking you bring it up to the door and run less hose. The advantage would be the reduced
maint. costs. I think this would be more efficient if you put a high powered portable on the cart with
a heater and a generator. like a Nautilus or a Jaguar that both have a dual 8.4 vac option

Then if you needed to you can still do normal portable work by just taking the machine up inside a
building and then use the cart for your residential work.

I'm actually planning to do this with a smaller 7000w generator, jag 8.4 and little giant #3 on a cart
with 11" pneumatic wheels :)

Then you might as well have a gas powered truckmount.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Some people have built viable etm's. Bob Savage comes to mind and he has a much better propane heater. It's not that it can't be done but it's not always the most practical way to go.

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
I saw Bob's ETM's they looked really solid. I've had TM's in the past. They're great machines but now since I'm only working part time
and am on a budget so I don't go crazy on all the latest gadgets. I think cleaners sometimes lose sight that they are supposed to be making
a profit and not buying every top of the line overpriced tool they can get their hands on.

I'm on a 10k budget and actually coming in under that and that does include a crb, tile wand, buffer, stair wand, mytee upholstery tool, etc.

I decided to put everything on a cart and bring it to the door so I can get better performance. My runs will mostly be 50-75' and I think
at that distance it will work nicely. especially with 200+ degree water and 2 drying fans which i always use regardless.

If I were working full time (balls to the wall) I would have gotten another 23/45 or 27/45 setup for sure but part time it doesn't make
sense for me. With my current budget I'll easily make my money back and some profit by years end.

I have a great job that fortunately only takes up about 3-4 hours per day so I'll never give that up, but will be nice to get out of the house
and do a bit of hand on work and socialize with customers rather than being behind a computer/desk all day. I'm looking forward to it!

Some people have built viable etm's. Bob Savage comes to mind and he has a much better propane heater. It's not that it can't be done but it's not always the most practical way to go.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I'm actually planning to do this with a smaller 7000w generator, jag 8.4 and little giant #3 on a cart
with 11" pneumatic wheels :)

Gees .. dual 8.4s in series paired with another set of 8.4s in series running parallel will rip the carpet off the floor !! I wanna see that !!

Buy 2 Jaguars or 2 Nautilus Extremes and combine both inlets with a 2'' all around Y connector .. then run your 2'' hose .. thatll be your ETM !!

Although .. isnt that the way the Mytee ETM is set up? (4) 3 stages .. and theyre 5k .. and you can roll them in to buildings !!

Reactions: Bobby Walker

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Gees .. dual 8.4s in series paired with another set of 8.4s in series running parallel will rip the carpet off the floor !! I wanna see that !!

Buy 2 Jaguars or 2 Nautilus Extremes and combine both inlets with a 2'' all around Y connector .. then run your 2'' hose .. thatll be your ETM !!

Although .. isnt that the way the Mytee ETM is set up? (4) 3 stages .. and theyre 5k .. and you can roll them in to buildings !!
10,000 watt generator will power that combined with a lg 3ht heater. Or you can buy a Prochem legend.

Reactions: Bobby Walker

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
My cart just shipped out today so once I get everything all setup in the next few weeks I'll send some pics.

My driveway is also on an incline so that will be a good test on how well i can push it around

Putting 2 Jag's together with a 10,000w generator would be pretty crazy but it's def. doable since each
machine puts out around 3500-4000w with everything on, so you need at least an 8000w continuous
generator to run it all..would love to see that lol

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
would like to see a chart on lift/cfm at 50 and 100' for

1. four 3 stage 5.7 vacs
2. dual 8.4 vacs
3. 33 blower

anybody got any guesses?

"A Sutorbilt 33 blower running at 2770 RPM:
  • requires 4.7hp
  • loaded (wand on carpet) could run as high as 117 CFM at 163 inches of water (12" hg)
  • generates 2238 airwatts of vacuum (0.117354 X 117 X 163 = 2238).
  • Uses about 5300 watts of electric power to generate the vacuum." (from Dan Gardner post)
Dual new Ametek 6.6" tapered fan vacs:
  • loaded (wand on carpet - equivalent orifice of 0.75") runs 90 CFM at 130 inches of water (9.6" hg)
  • generates 1250 airwatts of vacuum
  • uses 3125 watts of electricity to generate the vacuum." (Cobb testing)
Dual 6.6" Vacs Generate ~ 80% of #3 Blower and run on 2 cords (with Cat pump system for Tile & Grout.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
http://www.***************/dristorm...raction-starter-package-18240605-p-89217.html

Quad 6.6s on 4 cords 340cfms and 215'' of lift for $4200
You still need another cord for the pump and you still don't have heat or a generator. Add all those together and you can buy a nice entry level tm with a 36 or larger blower.

Bobby Walker

Name
Bobby Walker
So dual 8.4's would be around 90%?

"A Sutorbilt 33 blower running at 2770 RPM:
  • requires 4.7hp
  • loaded (wand on carpet) could run as high as 117 CFM at 163 inches of water (12" hg)
  • generates 2238 airwatts of vacuum (0.117354 X 117 X 163 = 2238).
  • Uses about 5300 watts of electric power to generate the vacuum." (from Dan Gardner post)
Dual new Ametek 6.6" tapered fan vacs:
  • loaded (wand on carpet - equivalent orifice of 0.75") runs 90 CFM at 130 inches of water (9.6" hg)
  • generates 1250 airwatts of vacuum
  • uses 3125 watts of electricity to generate the vacuum." (Cobb testing)
Dual 6.6" Vacs Generate ~ 80% of #3 Blower and run on 2 cords.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom