Rumors from within..

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
Yorkie will save the day with his preius Tm . And small motors will go on e85 and cng

the new dodge/fiat van won't take a dd either far as I know.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
FUEL ECONOMY Federal standards will mandate all of these changes.

A hybrid truck is what any new truck should be.

ETM will operate off of that hybrid battery.

End of Story.

Larry

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
If there is market, there will be a solution. There may be many unintentional consequences of government regulations on small motors. This may lead to slide in with Chevy 350's on them (available anywhere) Or more so, propane and CNG fuel options in all motors as well. With of course, inflated prices that will end up getting passed down to the consumer. That's my 2 cents.

The government has had the option to push for CNG over the years, and they have done the exact opposite.

They basically tax and regulate development to a degree that it is a profit killer to the manufacturers and therefore extremely limited.

Thanks be to big oil lobbying dollars for this.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

End of Story.

Larry

I don't see the federal mandates on fuel economy having any impact Larry- ingenuity will continue to evolve and if requirements are based on average across the vehicle spectrum there will still be gas fired vans for decades to come.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I doubt that any cleaning manufacturer will raise eyebrows to the vehicle manufacturers to alter their warranties - so you'll have the choice of PTO and no vehicle warranty, or slide in.

As far as the original topic

Personally - I don't think we have much to worry about other than paying a bit more for the engines and or having our options limited.

Small engines is what Briggs, Kohler, Kubota, etc do. Maybe the likes of Hyundai and Nissan exit the small commercial engine market - but the small engine only companies will still be here. We'll pay more for the products.

If they regulate the new/revised EPA cert's like they do CARB/EPA certs for CNG application (which I doubt because the idea there is to stall development) $100K per cert, $10k/yr per cert registartion - we'll see less options and the TM manufacturers will have to redesign around available powerplants, again, we'll pay for that.

But to worry that there soon won't be small gas engines to power TM's I don't believe is a worry. The TM manufacturers will have to redesign to use what is available, maybe an entry level TM is no longer an optiononly mid and larger units, but we'll still be rug sucking with them in the decade to come.

F

FB7777

End of Story.

Larry
PTOs and slide ins ain't going anywhere

End of story

F

FB7777

Butler has an etm for rug plants, the technology is really not there yet to power one from a van. Yeah i know with generators and 3 dryer outlets.... not practical imo

Some day, just not today.
The power plant of Butlers Electric stationary carpet cleaning system is a 15hp 3 phase electric motor

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I don't see the federal mandates on fuel economy having any impact Larry- ingenuity will continue to evolve and if requirements are based on average across the vehicle spectrum there will still be gas fired vans for decades to come.

Agreed - unless there comes a time where MPG regulation is vehicle to vehicle and not across an entire model year lineup average - the gas powered commercial vehicles will continue to be there for a long time - and the reality of fully electric commercial vehicles isn't right around the corner.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

Federal Light Truck Fuel Economy = 27.5 MPG next year

What type of gas engine only Van do you think will meet this standard ?

My Guess: 3500 lbs with 4 cyl engine

Ford has already capitulated with the European Transit.

Show me one PTO with a transverse engine.

Slide-Ins are still OK.

Larry

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Most cleaners I know don't care if it is a PTO Slide In or ETM.
All we care about is that it has enough vacuum and heat at runs of up to 250- 350 feet (most of the time quite a bit less) from the van and we are happy.
As long as the ETM does not do it, or jumps the circuits, or requires a long set up, we won't buy it.

And even if the small slide in engine will cost quite a bit more $$$, it is still a pittance in the life of a unit and in comparison to what it brings in.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Agreed Ofer ~ a butler or similar can easily bring in 2.5 million over 8 years and then sell for 1/3 of the original purchase price making the cost of ownership barely over 1% of sales.

racebum

as long as the riding lawnmower is around we'll have options for slide ins. the market is a pretty creative place and typically finds a medium.

racebum

Or your president could allow drilling and fuel economy would be a non-issue.

for how long?

that's the whole problem with the long term outlook on fossil fuel. our whole economy is based on a finite resource that we will run out of. if we went gun ho on production prices would come down in the short term. when those wells start to dry up? then what. on top of that no one would be exploring alt energy with $1.89 gas.

books like "the race for what's left" give a pretty good outline of our current global energy situation

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
I'm liking the switch to an ETM and booster setup. My costs to run are lower, maintenance is less. The customers are happy and I'm making a profit. As I refine my setup, and install a slightly larger generator, I'll have an even more capable machine with over 400cfm and 16" lift at the customers' front door.
I'm doing 3-4K a week as a one man show with out of pocket expenses to run the system (fuel and chemicals) at around $150 a week. What's not to like?

Reactions: Larry Cobb
C

Cleaning God

The problem is not how much oil we have left. Estimates say with current reserves and extraction methods we have at least a 80 year supply. With new methods and reserves to be found it will go far beyond that. More or the problem with business vehicles is political. Like this statement that came out of the Whitehouse today:

"We’ve put in place the toughest fuel economy standards in our history so that by the middle of the next decade, our cars will go twice as far on a gallon of gas. " —President Obama in his Weekly Address:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Art, are you using a portable or a portable mounted in a truck?

I still use my Pro1200 on 1/2 the jobs I do because it's convenient, like a bag of cheezeie curls for lunch. But at 2.1 gal/hr in fuel use it sucks ass. If I have the extra 10 minutes to spend on setup/takedown which I try to make for most of my jobs I use my Mytee Air Hog Plus/Water Box unit. I use my customer's utilities for the power and water and the only thing they say is " I can't believe how clean you got it". They don't care about the extra 35c in utilitity cost for the job and if they did I would hand them a dollar and tell them to keep the change.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
C'mon Larry. A hybrid might turn a water pump for a couple hours before dying.

And if you had severe or borderline high functioning autism that could happen while you were working. But 99.99% of the jobs you are on have electricity and you plug in your truck and charge the batteries while you are working. Did you ever run out of gas while driving down the road? Whenever I see people walking down the freeway with a gas can I just go Duuuuuuh.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Some of you guys need to read up on current events...
North America is scheduled to be a net neutral importer/exporter of oil/gas by 2020. Fracking, horizontal drilling, deep water and shale have put US,Canada, Mexico on the path to import as much as we export.

Different countries/companies need different grades of quality so we might export low grade and import high grade for example. Really is politics creating this situation...

Jimbo

I'm sticking with 'electric'

DSCN0666.jpg

At least for the starter motor!

Reactions: Vincent Feehan
C

Cleaning God

North America is scheduled to be a net neutral importer/exporter of oil/gas by 2020. Fracking, horizontal drilling, deep water and shale have put US,Canada, Mexico on the path to import as much as we export.

Different countries/companies need different grades of quality so we might export low grade and import high grade for example. Really is politics creating this situation...

That's true we are swimming in natural energy recourses. More that any other country on the planet. The trouble is vehicles are being mandated to go twice as far on a gallon of gas. Not good for commercial vehicles or when moving more that 2 people at a time. Can you get a truckmount in a Smart Car?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name

There's nothing more current then what we pay at the pump every day. I'm tired of paying $1200/mo for gas and when I can cut that to $500/mo by going electric half the time, all the rhetoric and political posturing becomes meaningless to me.

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
I'm sticking with 'electric

DSCN0666.jpg

At least for the starter motor!

Jim, are you going to have a contest to name your FrankenMount? :biggrin:

So is that something you are building or is it someone else's?
What are the Engine, blower specs? Sure looks beefy...
Are you building those for Magic Wad and will it fit in a transit?

Bill

Jimbo

Bill

No...already named

Self

350 6008 fuel injection carb is just for mock up

No (Nice Freudian Slip, though! Magic WAD!)

No transit...box van.

Back
Top Bottom