Starting the Encap division of my company Edit: "Padcapping"

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Re: Starting the Encap division of my company

Bruce Humphrey said:
[quote="Brian R":23runeh4]Ozzy? Really? Do you know how much money he's made off of crap?
Take it back , you take it back right now!! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :p :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:[/quote:23runeh4]

I was talking about his TV show etc

I love Ozzy's music.

Doug, do you read my posts or do you just come to your own conclusion of what I probably said?

Name
Jesse

Aside from children and pets in a home it's just a different setting. You have a consumer wanting their carpet cleaned, probably because they care to have it cleaned. In commercial jobs anything beyond appearance management is often considered a waste because the greedy business owner/manger doesn't give a rats ass about health or clean.

Brian, when the maid service cleans your hotel room in 4 minutes including the restroom with 2 rags and Windex does that make it right for a maid service to come into your home and clean to the same low standard set by someone else somewhere else who didn't give a ****? Is it ok if she has all the products in her car to do it properly if she wanted to or better yet a sub who has all the right products but isn't doing the job?

We wouldn't be professionals if we encouraged another professional to offer an unprofessional service.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Out Of Character said:
Aside from children and pets in a home it's just a different setting. You have a consumer wanting their carpet cleaned, probably because they care to have it cleaned. In commercial jobs anything beyond appearance management is often considered a waste because the greedy business owner/manger doesn't give a rats ass about health or clean.

Brian, when the maid service cleans your hotel room in 4 minutes including the restroom with 2 rags and Windex does that make it right for a maid service to come into your home and clean to the same low standard set by someone else somewhere else who didn't give a ACE? Is it ok if she has all the products in her car to do it properly if she wanted to or better yet a sub who has all the right products but isn't doing the job?

We wouldn't be professionals if we encouraged another professional to offer an unprofessional service.

So it's ok to NOT do what you think is a good job in a commercial setting?

Clean is Clean whether it takes 4 minutes and a rag or 4 hours and an arsenal.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

I read between the lines , Brian. I think most here find you to be quite transparent.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Yes Doug, you're brilliant.

I think you're just paranoid and "look between the lines" to see what you want to see.

Doug Wrote
"THEY'LL NEVER GET ONE OVER ON MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

:lol:

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas

rhino1 said:
With encap, the whole point is to LEAVE a bunch of crap behind. The encap you leave behind doesn't just off-gas, it actually becomes a bunch of microscopic brittly particles that are easily airborne and inhaled by the people trapped in the home.

You wonder why the EPA or someone isn't all over this - I wonder why the encap salesmen aren't all over this post defending how "healthy" encap is for little Johnny. You will notice, as have I, that the encap manufacturers stay strangely silent when you start talking about putting their product into people's homes.

Encap particles are not going to become airborne, anymore than the soil that was in the carpet to begin with would become airborne. Come on guys - this is ridiculous. Henny Penny the sky is NOT falling. On a side note: Have you ever seen those guys buffing the supermarkets late at night with propane powered buffers? A cloud of polymer dust gets kicked up with UHS floor care. That dust then settles on everything in the store. Think about that the next time you put a bite of broccoli into little Johnny's mouth. There's a lot more polymer dust from floor care. By comparison, there's no dust becoming airborne with a good polymerized encap detergent. That argument simply doesn't hold water - it's not real.

And although I can't speak for other encap manufacturers - our company has never recommended encap for residential applications. It's perfect for commercial maintenance. That's where it shines. But HWE is the most thorough way of extracting the greatest quantity of soil in a single shot from a carpet - so HWE is the ideal choice for little Johnny's carpet.

P.S. You guys are funny. Why are you arguing this point? Encap is what it is. It ROCKS for commercial maintenance. It solves problems and adds profit that HWE simply can't match in a commercial setting. For that application it makes sense. And HWE makes perfect sense in a residential setting.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

Need we say more about encapping residential after Rick's post?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

encapman said:
P.S. You guys are funny. Why are you arguing this point? Encap is what it is. It ROCKS for commercial maintenance. It solves problems and adds profit that HWE simply can't match in a commercial setting. For that application it makes sense. And HWE makes perfect sense in a residential setting.

Why are we arguing this point? Because Brian is going to go down this absurd route of doing the Greg Cole thing in people's homes and taking it to ridiculous extremes to include all carpets not just berbers. The dirty, heavy traffic laned and spotted plush carpet I cleaned this morning would not do well with the encap alone process but looked great after I scrubbed and steamed it properly. What will Brian do when it becomes obvious that he just made a mess in someone's house? Call in a sub to finish the job?

Brian is always looking for the easy buck.

Is this new business venture going to work?

If the customer perceives the job was done in a professional manner, that is really all that matters.

Brian you could always offer steam cleaning for a lower rate and push the LMC at a much higher rate and target nicer homes with hopefully not dirty carpet. Just vacuum REAL good and do the best you can.

I would just use a regular 175.

Buy an EDIC fivestar. It is a great machine that I used for two years and made a ton of money with. I never got one complaint. Only praises, but I prescrubbed every job.

You could LMC the light soiled areas and run the small extractor over the more soiled areas.

This is in no way even close to what Cole pulls on people.

If Brian is fair and honest with people, he could do quite well.

Believe it or not there are a lot of consumers that simply do not want steam cleaning.

Brian can always walk from a Nasty carpet.

Just be fair and honest and do the best you can.

When you finally make some real money you can invest in a real cleaning operation. You can get a crew or even a couple and do your best to get as many referrals as you can.

Good luck.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin

Encapman - I am thrilled you took the time to jump into this.

If you have a few minutes to honestly educate someone like myself on what really happens to the crystals that are formed in encap....

1. How large or small are the particles that are formed in the encap process?

2. What is the PEL of these particles?

3. What long term studies have been performed on the long term exposure to the polymers/crystals/parts of crystals that are left behind in encap?

4. You stated encap particles won't become airborne - what keeps them from breaking off the fiber and becoming airborne just like any other particles?

5. Would breathing dried encap particles not affect a person who had health issues such as asthma, sinusitis, or allergies pretty much the same way as any other small particulate would?

6. What happens to encap particles that are inhaled once they enter the respiratory tract... do they become liquid again or do they break into even smaller particles?

BTW Rick, I'm not picking on you or your product - I don't have a problem with encap being used as an interim maintenance method in a commercial setting as you have pointed out.

P.S.....I also thoroughly wash the broccoli (not rub with a rag) that I put on my kids' plates, do you know what kind of crap they spread on those fields to make that stuff grow?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Art....I'm not doing encap alone. The rest of your post was a little presumptuous wasn't it?

Daniel...never the quick buck only the smart ones. I'm just growing the business a little.
And always honest to my customers.
I'll offer TM when I feel I need it...I'm not trying to clean apts or rentals or evicts.

I think you guys are forgetting that I've done this before...for the last 20+ years (besides the last 2 or 3) I was in the trenches taking on some of the dirtiest carpet known to man.

Not sure who you think you're talkin to. :roll:

Willy P

Name
Willy P

I found the PERFECT chemical for this division of your empire!

header.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Yes Willy, very clever.

It amazing the PMs and emails that I get from people saying what I'm doing is right and some of you are just dickheads. lol
Always with the negative from some of you. :|

I will clean each and every carpet to the best of my ability.

So Nyahh!

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

UHHHHHHHHHHHH........ Brian, I don't post just to be a "Dickhead" to you. I and a few others just disagree with the process you choose to clean residential carpets. Even Rick Gelinas said they do not recommend encapping residential carpets, but apparently you know better. Then you start saying that you will utilize other processes, but your thread title says..........Starting the Encap division of my company.

The length of time you have been cleaning means nothing to me. Anybody can do something wrong for 20 years.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

You are right Doug...and I did do some things wrong in those 20 years....as did most.
And it also stated in my post that I was nowhere near ready to start....just getting the marketing started.

I should have said padcap but the encap part is just the final stage.
Is using encap after hwe in residential acceptable?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

I would assume so, but why encap after cleaning the carpet correctly? lol

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I figured it would help with wicking and the fact that no process gets it completely clean while still in the home. Safety net with benefits?

Price is an issue, convenience for the customer and my company, there is a market for it and I still think padding can do the job...the porty would be help for the extreme ones....but I would probably sub those out anyway.

Plus I will also have access to a trailer mounted hydromaster if I want to blow one out.
I would just hook it up to the new truck.

Did I mention I get to buy a new truck?? shiteatinggrin

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

Brian R said:
Did I mention I get to buy a new truck?? shiteatinggrin

At least you'll be able to get out of the house when Jen is out selling Mary Kay.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I hear ya.

Instead of just buying a truck I am trying to create another source of income to pay for it....The truck should pay for it's self.

That's the whole rich dad poor dad thing.

I've done it in other areas and it's worked out pretty good.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name

Doug Cox said:
I would assume so, but why encap after cleaning the carpet correctly? lol

Really. I've never seen a need to encap/surround some goo in a carpet that should be flushed out properly. Why encap some poor bastard's house at all. The encap process is intended for a large area commercial setting where it's just not practical to do a thorough cleaning. It's not meant for residential work. The encap salespeople will even tell you that. Even Greg Cole wouldn't do what you are talking about, and that's saying a lot.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

"Even Greg Cole wouldn't do what you are talking about, and that's saying a lot."

Let's not start talking all crazy now, Art.

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Dickheads?Self righteous morons?

OR

People trying to help you from making a mistake, based on common sense and experience.
You pick Brian.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Come on Mr. Willy
I understand that some will help in their own way but if you go about it in an insulting fashion then you should plan on being insulted back.

I do appreciate the help though. No matter how it comes.

I mean, I don't want to meet anyone at the bike racks or anything. !gotcha!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

Brian R said:
Come on Mr. Willy
I understand that some will help in their own way but if you go about it in an insulting fashion then you should plan on being insulted back.

I do appreciate the help though. No matter how it comes.

I mean, I don't want to meet anyone at the bike racks or anything. !gotcha!

Now that was funny Brian- MB Jr High! (or is it elementary school?)

Greg Cole

Name
Greg

Art Kelley said:
[quote="Doug Cox":1topw6jl]I would assume so, but why encap after cleaning the carpet correctly? lol

Really. I've never seen a need to encap/surround some goo in a carpet that should be flushed out properly. Why encap some poor bastard's house at all. The encap process is intended for a large area commercial setting where it's just not practical to do a thorough cleaning. It's not meant for residential work. The encap salespeople will even tell you that. Even Greg Cole wouldn't do what you are talking about, and that's saying a lot.[/quote:1topw6jl]

I must admit that I like the idea of his making himself different. Encapping residential carpet? You would think that I wouldn't already be encouraging contractors to do it??

with proper pre-vac, light to moderately soiled residential carpet can be effectively encapped.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name

gregcole said:
I must admit that I like the idea of his making himself different. Encapping residential carpet? You would think that I wouldn't already be encouraging contractors to do it??

with proper pre-vac, light to moderately soiled residential carpet can be effectively encapped.

I figured as much. I can't imagine a sub wanting to monkey with two different processes when three rooms are berber and two rooms and a hall not. Fook it. Encap it all. I'm sure it happen all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom