used water box

Able 1

Name
Keith
It's not your blower, but if you buy a new one,I'll buy that old pos..

Able 1

Name
Keith
Take the hose off your waste tank to the blower(pita) plug the blower tee directly and see what you get hg wise.. That would help alot..

steve_64

Check the exhaust of the blower for blockage?

My blower is junk but still pulls air good.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Take it in James. The longer you dick with it the less chance you have to make money with it. Bite the bullet and get her checked out at your local Prochem distributor. It sounds minor, an obstruction somewhere. It should not pull vacuum on the gauge with no load on it.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Keith,
I took your advice
Take the hose off your waste tank to the blower(pita) plug the blower tee directly and see what you get hg wise.. That would help alot..

The hg went straight to 15.

So, there's got to be a blockage on the intake side of the blower. I've removed and checked the hoses, cleaned the lint basket and filter and looked all thru the waste tank and I can't find a blockage anywhere.

Reactions: Able 1

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Wow. Thats freaky! You sure that the waste tank strainer isnt gunked up solid? Or the blower filter?? They can be clogged up and not look like it. What kind of job did you do prior to this happening? You weren't sucking up stripper and wax, were you? Or cleaning duct work without a dust downer?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Gotta be a leak.. It will still hit 15 with your hose clogged 90% with crap.. It will just read higher without a load..

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If the guy let the water box freeze up that badly, maybe he also had a full recovery tank that he let freeze. If you haven't already done it, fill your recovery tank with a garden hose and check for leaks. Check your hose connecting the blower to the recovery tank for leaks. Check all the fittings, especially the dump valve. Check anything that could have water left in it. Check any bypass valves and fittings. The blower is obviously producing enough suction, so it has to be leaking somewhere.

Reactions: Able 1 and BIG WOOD

Jamesh921

Name
James
Wow. Thats freaky! You sure that the waste tank strainer isnt gunked up solid? Or the blower filter?? They can be clogged up and not look like it. What kind of job did you do prior to this happening? You weren't sucking up stripper and wax, were you? Or cleaning duct work without a dust downer?

Lint basket and filter have both been cleaned. However, today I took the lint basket completely out of the waste tank to see if it would make a difference. Nope, no difference.
I just bought this machine about 7 weeks ago and it has had this problem from day 1.

If the guy let the water box freeze up that badly, maybe he also had a full recovery tank that he let freeze. If you haven't already done it, fill your recovery tank with a garden hose and check for leaks. Check your hose connecting the blower to the recovery tank for leaks. Check all the fittings, especially the dump valve. Check anything that could have water left in it. Check any bypass valves and fittings. The blower is obviously producing enough suction, so it has to be leaking somewhere.

You're right. It's a leak and not a blockage.
I've checked or done everything you mentioned except the bypass valves. Still learning this machine. Have ran a Steamway Powermatic for the past 15 yrs and am still learning this machine. Where are the bypass valves located?

Able 1

Name
Keith
There are no bypass valves.. Replace your dump hose, and the hose from your waste tank to the suck side.. At this point it is on you to figure where you are loosing air.. You don't have a seal somewhere!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Keith can answer that better than I as he has one. I believe there is one that goes from your water box to the recovery tank. You may have a temperature bypass somewhere as well. These will be hoses attached to the recovery tank, leading back to the machine. You may also have other internal bypasses that send the extra hot water to the recovery tank before it over heats.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Sorry Keith, we overlapped there. I am not sure how the Apex regulates the hot water. I am looking at my Blazer and I have 2 types of bypass systems.

Able 1

Name
Keith
We are talking vacuum.. Water bypasses will have no effect on your suck, ever!!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You are the expert Keith but in my case with the Blazer, there is a bypass to the waste tank from the water box temperature relief valve. It is vacuum operated. If there is a leak in the fitting or hose, I will be losing some vacuum. I also have a temperature bypass needle valve that is connected to the waste tank. Same thing, if the fitting or hose is leaking, I am losing vacuum. When I look at pics of the Apex, on the right hand side facing the machine, there are a couple of hoses that look like they are attached to the vac system somehow. Maybe I am wrong, I can't see the whole picture. I am just thinking if this machine froze, there can be a lot of small cracks causing a vac leak.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Nope you are wrong.. If it is sucking water it is still a sealed system, no air!! How much could you lose through this little hole anyway?
14797071949661422535362.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If it is cracked, then it is no longer sealed. You are sucking air and water and you're right, it is just a little hole but if you have lots of little holes?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Go look at a Blazer and you will see what I mean. If the Apex is different you are right. BUT IF THE FITTINGS ARE CRACKED ON THE BLAZER, IT'S SUCKING AIR! Maybe not a lot but enough to prevent getting a good seal. The fittings go right through the waste tank.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Go look at a Blazer and you will see what I mean. If the Apex is different you are right. BUT IF THE FITTINGS ARE CRACKED ON THE BLAZER, IT'S SUCKING AIR! Maybe not a lot but enough to prevent getting a good seal. The fittings go right through the wa

Able 1

Name
Keith
Prochem are all pretty much the same..

Where do you think the air is coming from? The valve in the water box, or the straight plumbing bypass to the waste tank? Lol

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Where the fittings are connected to the waste tank. They are just ordinary brass fittings prone to cracking if they freeze. Judging by the condition of the water box, the previous owner may have left the machine full of water. If those fittings cracked where they are inserted into the waste tank they may have a larger hole than just the fitting itself. Sorry for yelling.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I gotcha.. Those compression fittings fail alot when they are old.. There isn't anything on that end that would effect vacuum..

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Nate W.
8 pages later, not resolved yet? I'd start from the blower and check the suction, then connect the tank without filters, then with filters, then the filter box, process of elimination.... I've never had a unit freeze except my nuts in cold weather.... I'd have to concur with Keef's diagnosis, a seal or leak some where.... I doubt it's the blower... Do you have another lift gauge to use or substitute it? I've put a lift gauge on my waste tank and it tells me my lift... I've had suction loss through a worn waste tank seal...

I've made a new seal using a polyurethane sealant... Then I braced my waste tank better because it flexed too much... Now I found a pin hole leak closer to the top of my tank from corrosion... I'm in search of a Butler 210 waste tank if anyone knows someone selling one....

Or cut your losses and sell @Able 1 your Apex....:lol:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Dan,
Aside for ordering the gauges from the internet that Sam suggested, I have done "everything" that these fine folks have suggested. So, I have no idea where you got that assumption.
And as for Keith's offer to take a look at it, did you happen to notice the he lives in WISCONSIN and I live in Oklahoma? It's not geographically or economically viable.

The water box - the seller saw my post on here about it and had a new one sent to me from JonDon. I installed it myself and it is working great. It's nice to have a van/machine that doesn't flood every time I use it.
I have two friends that live several hours away from me. When they both got a used truck mount, they couldn't take it to a dealer to look at, so they decided to make the trip to get my eyes on the machine. When they got here, after 2hours of messing around with it, I got it back in shape and ready to work.

I think you need to invest in a trip to either one of these guys on here, or a dealer. I like to stress on the word "Invest". You're not wasting your money taking it to someone who knows that machine and can point out different things that you overlooked. These truck mounts can either make or break you. Get it running right and make some $$$,$$$ bro

Reactions: rwcarpet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom