Who DOESN'T sell protectors?

Name
I'm Rick James
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="Royal Man":2ngpmgsc]Brent,

Just shows that janitors don't sell protector.

Some forget that this is a sales and service business with sales coming before service.

Because with out sales there is NO service.
Maybe if you charged more for your "service," you wouldn't have to rely so heavily on "sales."

Because with excellent service (that puts the clients interest first in mind) there is practically not much need for extra sales :p .[/quote:2ngpmgsc]

Is adding on a filthy sofa that wasnt originally scheduled be considered extra sales?

Name
I'm Rick James
Able 1 said:
Caduceus said:
[quote="Able 1":ysrahklq]If you hand dipped every fiber, which would be the closest comparison it to what the manufacturer does..

If you properly apply it and groom it into the carpets it pretty darn close.
:roll: Must have some good weed in WA!!!

If you're looking to add another $5-10,000+ a year in sales, its a great product to add to your business. I wouldn't sell it if I didnt think it was a legit product..

Actually I'm looking to add more then that, just not that way..[/quote:ysrahklq]

You make it sound like the protective coating is a rip off. A disservice. How much experience do you have with protective sealers? You not waxing Surdis old van?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="Royal Man":19cmnbpw]Brent,

Some forget that this is a sales and service business with sales coming before service.

Maybe if you charged more for your "service," you wouldn't have to rely so heavily on "sales."

Because with excellent service (that puts the clients interest first in mind) there is practically not much need for extra sales :p .[/quote:19cmnbpw]

So, you don't sell deo if the house stinks, or you don't offer to clean that nasty sofa in the room you are cleaning or pick up bedroom traffic areas that just take a few minutess each. You don't offer protector to offer the older couple a little piece of mind when the grandkids come over?

By not offering other products or services that can improve your client life make their carpet last longer, save them money on replacement or not having to schedule an other re-turn service.

You are dong a big injustice to your client.

I care too much about my clients to put blinders on to things that could help them.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Caduceus said:
Bee Busy said:
do u apply protector to a broken down fiber all the time? and if it fails how do u explain? maybe it failed and u never heard from that customer again. in my area...Stanley developed a very negative public reaction to carpet protector here..it maybe not like that in WA...most people here don't want it and if it's mentioned...most of the time it's frowned on as spending more $$$

No I dont sell it to jobs were the carpets are past their expiration date. Many of my jobs are koosh, well maintain carpets.

I think you bought into the SS protector hysteria that you heard through the years. Customers probably telling you it didnt work or they pushed it to hard right? If you really educate yourself about the product, the benefits and the various test demos you will see it does actually work, but needs to be reappied depending on foot traffic. Here in Washington we don't have that spending complex, its really in your head dude. How do you know what people want to spend their money on... people gladly spend their money on things that offer value to their life.. they even spend their money on dumb things. Americans love to spend money, that is what we do.. but you gotta have something worth buying. Go read up on protector and change the opinions in your area.
well u sell green cleaning trying to save the planet and then spray a close to poison chemical on your custys carpets...how's that for indoor health??

Name
I'm Rick James
Bee Busy said:
Caduceus said:
[quote="Bee Busy":3mfd1xly]do u apply protector to a broken down fiber all the time? and if it fails how do u explain? maybe it failed and u never heard from that customer again. in my area...Stanley developed a very negative public reaction to carpet protector here..it maybe not like that in WA...most people here don't want it and if it's mentioned...most of the time it's frowned on as spending more $$$

No I dont sell it to jobs were the carpets are past their expiration date. Many of my jobs are koosh, well maintain carpets.

I think you bought into the SS protector hysteria that you heard through the years. Customers probably telling you it didnt work or they pushed it to hard right? If you really educate yourself about the product, the benefits and the various test demos you will see it does actually work, but needs to be reappied depending on foot traffic. Here in Washington we don't have that spending complex, its really in your head dude. How do you know what people want to spend their money on... people gladly spend their money on things that offer value to their life.. they even spend their money on dumb things. Americans love to spend money, that is what we do.. but you gotta have something worth buying. Go read up on protector and change the opinions in your area.
well u sell green cleaning trying to save the planet and then spray a close to poison chemical on your custys carpets...how's that for indoor health??[/quote:3mfd1xly]

Its not a poison.. :roll:

Pretty well.. when they vacuum they pick up more dry soil.. removing bio pollutants that were caught there. So is that your only issue with protector is that it isnt green enough for you?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Royal Man said:
You make it sound like the protective coating is a rip off. A disservice. How much experience do you have with protective sealers? You not waxing Surdis old van?

Oh, am I...sorry :roll: :lol: I haven't waxed his old van once actually, then again I don't need it to last 25 years either.. :mrgreen: You still waxing the rust on yours? :lol:

Able 1

Name
Keith
Caduceus said:
s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx0ADvprnoks]

Yeah, ANOTHER flat surface! I said it has value when cleaning upholstery..

Name
I'm Rick James
Able 1 said:
[quote="Royal Man":12e5m1l7]

Oh, am I...sorry :roll: :lol: I haven't waxed his old van once actually, then again I don't need it to last 25 years either.. :mrgreen: You still waxing the rust on yours? :lol:[/quote:12e5m1l7]

So is that "not much" for experience with protector I take it.?

Zero percent rust for my ride.. be way to ghetto.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm sure a lot of the "product" sold doesn't work well. Especially water or over-diluted product.

However I've personally seen it applied in almost every carpet mill I've visited. It's not "misted" on, it's put on pretty heavy. I'm curious about the source of the Shaw Chemical product that the Shaw plants were using. I didn't take pix, and couldn't get close enough to the 55 gallon drums to get my questions answered that day.

Prove everything you sell, if only for yourself.

Thanks,
Lee

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Royal Man said:
[quote="Ofer Kolton":3v1j2cy1][quote="Royal Man":3v1j2cy1]Brent,

Because with excellent service (that puts the clients interest first in mind) there is practically not much need for extra sales :p .[/quote:3v1j2cy1]

So, you don't sell deo if the house stinks, or you don't offer to clean that nasty sofa in the room you are cleaning or pick up bedroom traffic areas that just take a few minutess each. You don't offer protector to offer the older couple a little piece of mind when the grandkids come over?

By not offering other products or services that can improve your client life make their carpet last longer, save them money on replacement or not having to schedule an other re-turn service.

I care too much about my clients to put blinders on to things that could help them.[/quote:3v1j2cy1]

WTF are you talking about Dave...."offer protector to offer the older couple a little piece of mind when the grandkids come over?.........

Able 1

Name
Keith
Caduceus said:
Able 1 said:
[quote="Royal Man":wl8mvmnj]

Oh, am I...sorry :roll: :lol: I haven't waxed his old van once actually, then again I don't need it to last 25 years either.. :mrgreen: You still waxing the rust on yours? :lol:

So is that "not much" for experience with protector I take it.?

Zero percent rust for my ride.. be way to ghetto.[/quote:wl8mvmnj]

Simple logic tells me you can't possibly COAT a fiber by spraying and rubbing it in unless you put down so much that it wouldn't be dry for days.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Jim Martin said:
[quote="Royal Man":3gfm04sp]

I care too much about my clients to put blinders on to things that could help them.

WTF are you talking about Dave...."offer protector to offer the older couple a little piece of mind when the grandkids come over?.........[/quote:3gfm04sp]

Cause they sleep better when they know that Dave the smarmy Samaritan has been there ? :p

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
that video is stupid and brokeback...have any of u guys heard of "abrasion"? and abrasion on a soft surface?

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
look at yer MSDS sheets champ...if yer not wearing a respirator during applications then your doing a diservice not only to yerself but your health and your custys health as well...i'm sure your "green cleaning" customers will love seeing u apply a protector with a full face respirator on :lol: typical liberal hypocrite nonsence

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I don't use the product myself, and if I don't use it, I don't sell it. Part of that is getting a good price for my work, which is probably around 75% commercial, partly because of the huge amount of olefin used here. I do suggest that the money saved by my NOT spraying a bunch of liquid on the carpet be put towards increasing the cleaning frequency. For those that claim it's safe and healthy - drink some. Didn't think so.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
This thread is getting beyond ridiculous!!!

Willy doesn't apply protector because he claims it's not safe and healthy. Being safe and HEALTHY are 2 separate things!! His justification is that you wouldn't drink some. Willy, I wonder how often you drink hair shampoo? Or toilet bowl cleaner? Or latex paint? Or aftershave?

I lost track on who said they don't appy protector because it's ripping customers off, then suggested to raise the cleaning rates if they aren't making enough on each job. So in other words, every customer has to pay the higher rates, even the ones that didn't have a want/need for protector. Who is ripping people off now?

We have tested the protector we use several times over the years and yes, it does work.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Brian H said:

We have tested the protector we use several times over the years and yes, it does work.

How did you test it?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Jim Martin said:
WTF are you talking about Dave...."offer protector to offer the older couple a little piece of mind when the grandkids come over?.........

I have had hundreds of grandparents buy protector because of the piece of mind of having a little protection from when their sloppy, rumbustious grandchildren come over.

Every salesperson knows that people often buy (or don't buy) based on emotional reasons and then they back it up with a logical reason.

Ask a woman why she bought an article of clothing. She may say it was a reasonable price. But, really bought it because it looked good on her and all the compliments/attention she would get.

The same "reasoning" works with cleaning sales.

By talking to your client you can emphasize that emotional reason that they can back up with logic.

Don't forget to shape emotional benefits into your presentation/conversation.

Some could be-Piece of mind, preventing embarasment, warm fealings from a clean home, being refreshed again ....

(For you guys that don't sell protector. You can't be changed. )

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Royal Man said:
[quote="Jim Martin":12qboyrc]WTF are you talking about Dave...."offer protector to offer the older couple a little piece of mind when the grandkids come over?.........

I have had hundreds of grandparents buy protector because of the piece of mind of having a little protection from when their sloppy, rumbustious grandchildren come over.

Every salesperson knows that people often buy (or don't buy) based on emotional reasons and then they back it up with a logical reason.

Ask a woman why she bought an article of clothing. She may say it was a reasonable price. But, really bought it because it looked good on her and all the compliments/attention she would get.

The same "reasoning" works with cleaning sales.

By talking to your client you can emphasize that emotional reason that they can back up with logic.

Don't forget to shape emotional benefits into your presentation/conversation.

Some could be-Piece of mind, preventing embarasment, warm fealings from a clean home, being refreshed again ....

(For you guys that don't sell protector. You can't be changed. )[/quote:12qboyrc]

so what do you do when little Bobby is running threw Grandma's house with a sippy cup 2/3rds full of his favorite juice and drops it and it spills all over there carpet...you know ( or should know ) as well as anyone here that there is no way that "protector " is going to stop that juice from staining there carpet....what logical reason are you going to offer them when they call you in there emotional state because your salesmanship turned out to be false...........

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Actually the opposite is true. They call because it clean up so well and they were amazed.

I have never had a call for lack of performance or a re-do for protector.

Many of your post you state you are scared of clients calling you back on protector jobs.

If my experience counts. You have nothing to worry about.

I just doesn't happen.

Has anybody been overloaded by re-dos on jobs where the client bought protector?

Or even had one call back?

I haven't ever had one in thirty years.

You might be scared of a boogie man that doesn't exist.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Brian H said:

Willy doesn't apply protector because he claims it's not safe and healthy. Being safe and HEALTHY are 2 separate things!! His justification is that you wouldn't drink some. Willy, I wonder how often you drink hair shampoo? Or toilet bowl cleaner? Or latex paint? Or aftershave?

I lost track on who said they don't appy protector because it's ripping customers off, then suggested to raise the cleaning rates if they aren't making enough on each job. So in other words, every customer has to pay the higher rates, even the ones that didn't have a want/need for protector. Who is ripping people off now?

I wonder how long your company would survive with those ridiculously low prices and no upsales? I find it pretty hard to believe that at 4 rooms for $99, running gas guzzling PTO's with 2 man crews would be a profitable venture. Do you REALLY BELIEVE INTRODUCING MORE CHEMICALS into a home is a safe thing to do or is it just greed as the prime motivator? My customers TRUST AND SAFETY come miles ahead of a few extra bucks.
FYI - I use as green a chemistry as possible, both at home and in the field. Google up your ass off. I don't believe the shit you put in peoples homes is safe. Below are a couple of examples of what that crap does. Do your crews always wear PPE when spraying? Do you provide it to your customers? Read the label and see what it says.

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/teflon.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotchgard

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992 ... d-sniffing

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Good thread Willy! I think we can all agree with Dave that the main benefit for the customer is a psychological one. Scotchgard on a carpet, especially a cut pile, really serves no real purpose. Carpets will still get dirty, stained,worn out with use whether protector is applied or not.

Selling it to the consumer is a big profit center for some companies, just like extended warranties on electronic items are for stores.

And like Willy, I don't like the idea of spraying a toxic chemical and breathing it in. Cancer is not worth whatever extra money you can make.

But I do it when the customer asks.

Ron K

To all the people that are selling Protector a question.

How many of you sell Vacuums or INSIST customers buy a better vacuum or change their bags more often.

How many spend the time to educate customers on HOW to vacuum? How often?

That is the single most important service you could sell....If you really cared.....

Name
I'm Rick James
Bee Busy said:
look at yer MSDS sheets champ...if yer not wearing a respirator during applications then your doing a diservice not only to yerself but your health and your custys health as well...i'm sure your "green cleaning" customers will love seeing u apply a protector with a full face respirator on :lol: typical liberal hypocrite nonsence

Now its not healthy enough for you my friend? :lol: Is that what you learned from the SS hysteria you bought into. If i havent made my point with the protector to you, then I never will. I will leave it up to the audience to decide if protector works or not. You are the one that has to deal with not giving your customers the option to prolong the life of their carpets.

Name
I'm Rick James
Ron K said:
To all the people that are selling Protector a question.

How many of you sell Vacuums or INSIST customers buy a better vacuum or change their bags more often.

How many spend the time to educate customers on HOW to vacuum? How often?

That is the single most important service you could sell....If you really cared.....

During my walk through i always bring up how often you should vacuum, clean and so on. The protector helps pick up more dry soil when they vacuum, so it a win win for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom