Who DOESN'T sell protectors?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Jim Martin said:
[quote="Jim Nelson":3qzqsfmr]So you have all these people that put all kinds of creams on there feet and take off across the carpets day after day...they track it from one end to the other.....and just because you put protector down you would keep going back and cleaning it for free........??????
There is not a protector out there that is going to help this.....
[/quote:3qzqsfmr]

Come on Jim you know that cream wasn't on their feet. :lol: :lol:

Anyway from your crazy anti-protector excuse diatribe it sounds like you may need to go to some kind of salesmanship re-education camp.

I bet Ken has a full time sales trainer.

If not he should.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Royal Man said:
[quote="Jim Martin":714mvfpt][quote="Jim Nelson":714mvfpt]So you have all these people that put all kinds of creams on there feet and take off across the carpets day after day...they track it from one end to the other.....and just because you put protector down you would keep going back and cleaning it for free........??????
There is not a protector out there that is going to help this.....
[/quote:714mvfpt]

Come on Jim you know that cream wasn't on their feet. :lol: :lol:

Anyway from your crazy anti-protector excuse diatribe it sounds like you may need to go to some kind of salesmanship re-education camp.

I bet Ken has a full time sales trainer.

If not he should.[/quote:714mvfpt]

No..its just we all don't have the same type of clients...a very large % of my clients are old retired people that cant hold the water..there liquor...or anything else for that matter.... stuff ends up every where and they have to lather there dried up feet with gallons of all kinds of stuff.......so protector is worthless...its not like it is going to help there situations...

for as smart as you try to put yourself out to be you should of already known that not all situations are not the same....so its not a matter of selling....its a matter of knowing that it would not serve theses people any good to take there money and put down something that is just not going to benefit them.....I don't want to have the feeling that I cheated someone and charged them for something that would not help them...

not to mention what it would do to my bottom line every time one of these poor old souls called me out to re-clean........

I can sell this crap in a heart beat.....but I am not going to pad my wallet and cheat these people for a few extra bucks...

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Wow. I'm appalled! I thought I was the only hack not selling protector. I feel like part of a non salesmanship support group now. I admit I did try it for a month and had over 90% success rate just by asking if they wanted it re applied, but for reasons already mentioned, I just don't mess with it much unless they mention it.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I sell it.....I don't push it....I ask. The custys that really want it always say "I want that Scotchgard on the carpet". I tell them that I don't sell SG, but that I have a product just as good, not as expensive, and doesn't leave the carpet as wet.

Hardball SoilBlocker.

Name
I'm Rick James
I have slacked off recently selling protector but setting up a full campaign to start selling it every job again. It is an easy money maker and I do believe it does benefit the carpets. I sell it more as a wear reducer vs a stain prevention.

If your not selling it, you must not believe in the that the product works. The mills have it applied to the carpet there and does wear out with foot traffic a vacuuming.

Sold about $700 worth for the month of May (big job helped), but thats not even trying.. my goal is to get it over $1,000 a month in sales.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I offer it and sell to about half my residential customers. The proper way to sell it is to ask if they would like you to reapply the fabric protection. I believe it works to some extent and I believe it would really help Jim's customers if they are lotioning their feet. You might also educate them about wearing socks or slippers after applying lotion. I also charge 15 per area and only cover open areas, so I don't feel like I'm robbing anyone. I also don't push it on carpet that's already worn out or olefin which I think it just runs off of.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
KevinL said:
I offer it and sell to about half my residential customers. The proper way to sell it is to ask if they would like you to reapply the fabric protection. I believe it works to some extent and I believe it would really help Jim's customers if they are lotioning their feet. You might also educate them about wearing socks or slippers after applying lotion. I also charge 15 per area and only cover open areas, so I don't feel like I'm robbing anyone. I also don't push it on carpet that's already worn out or olefin which I think it just runs off of.

I agree it would help...I go thru the whole slipper..socks thing all the time....you can only give the advice....you can't force them.....I run into this even with out the protector...the differance is that it is on them and they get charged....it's not on me because I put down protector......

I always take the time and explain it to them....after that...it's up to them.....

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
i've gone out of my way to tell customers it's BS, which it is...i want the customer to call back for repeat biz and referals

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Re: Re: Who DOESN'T sell protectors?

Ken Snow said:
You guys are leaving a lot of $ on the table and not serving your customers well in my opinion.
Who's serving their customers well (or better) is definitely to be debated. I'd think Jim and the likes are likely to serve their clients far better.

I hate the term "leaving money on the table."
What does it stand for Ken?

Is it that if the money is on the table, it is your job is to take it?
Is it that job one is to desperate the client from their money?
Is it that the client is a potential cash cow? And it is the cleaners job to get as much as they can?

We don't 'leave money on the table' Ken, we empower our clients to make the best educated decision for themselves. And as such, we serve our clients "very well, thank you."

Name
I'm Rick James
Bee Busy said:
i've gone out of my way to tell customers it's BS, which it is...i want the customer to call back for repeat biz and referals

I'm curious why do you think its BS?

Every now and then I like to wax my van because you can see first hand, in your face the wax doing its job. My van washes up easier, its shiny, protects my paint job and so on. It does need to be re-waxed every now and then, but there is a lot of upside to having the van waxed vs not. Not to mention I also like to use a teflon skillet when I cook.. cleans up way easier.

When the dirt bonds with the protector instead of the fiber its easier to remove and does less damage to the carpet fiber. When they vacuum they pick up more dry soil and it does help with the reaction time for stain removal too. So selling protector to your customers is a win win for you both. Easily charge it at half the cleaning cost.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
do u apply protector to a broken down fiber all the time? and if it fails how do u explain? maybe it failed and u never heard from that customer again. in my area...Stanley developed a very negative public reaction to carpet protector here..it maybe not like that in WA...most people here don't want it and if it's mentioned...most of the time it's frowned on as spending more $$$

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Ken Snow said:
Chris make ur goal 45% this year and keep moving it up every year. Price it to sell too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Just out of curiosity Ken, What do you guys charge for it?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Brent,

Just shows that janitors don't sell protector.

Some forget that this is a sales and service business with sales coming before service.

Because with out sales there is NO service.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Royal Man said:
Brent,

Some forget that this is a sales and service business with sales coming before service.

Yes it is sales and service....but at least be honest about your sales or your service is going to suffer...........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Caduceus said:
Bee Busy said:

Every now and then I like to wax my van because you can see first hand, in your face the wax doing its job. My van washes up easier, its shiny, protects my paint job and so on. It does need to be re-waxed every now and then, but there is a lot of upside to having the van waxed vs not. Not to mention I also like to use a teflon skillet when I cook.. cleans up way easier.

When the dirt bonds with the protector instead of the fiber its easier to remove and does less damage to the carpet fiber. When they vacuum they pick up more dry soil and it does help with the reaction time for stain removal too. So selling protector to your customers is a win win for you both. Easily charge it at half the cleaning cost.

I wax and polish my truck also......my oldest boy has a truck that the clear coat has peeled away and the paint is all faded....it is past protecting...not to mention he lives down a 1/4 mile dirt road...sometimes...you have to look at what your facing....be honest with yourself and decide if it is worth it or not......

Name
I'm Rick James
Bee Busy said:
do u apply protector to a broken down fiber all the time? and if it fails how do u explain? maybe it failed and u never heard from that customer again. in my area...Stanley developed a very negative public reaction to carpet protector here..it maybe not like that in WA...most people here don't want it and if it's mentioned...most of the time it's frowned on as spending more $$$

No I dont sell it to jobs were the carpets are past their expiration date. Many of my jobs are koosh, well maintain carpets.

I think you bought into the SS protector hysteria that you heard through the years. Customers probably telling you it didnt work or they pushed it to hard right? If you really educate yourself about the product, the benefits and the various test demos you will see it does actually work, but needs to be reappied depending on foot traffic. Here in Washington we don't have that spending complex, its really in your head dude. How do you know what people want to spend their money on... people gladly spend their money on things that offer value to their life.. they even spend their money on dumb things. Americans love to spend money, that is what we do.. but you gotta have something worth buying. Go read up on protector and change the opinions in your area.

Name
I'm Rick James
Jim Martin said:
Caduceus said:
[quote="Bee Busy":1zlfbyku]i've gone out of my way to tell customers it's BS, which it is...i want the customer to call back for repeat biz and referals

I wax and polish my truck also......my oldest boy has a truck that the clear coat has peeled away and the paint is all faded....it is past protecting...not to mention he lives down a 1/4 mile dirt road...sometimes...you have to look at what your facing....be honest with yourself and decide if it is worth it or not......[/quote:1zlfbyku]

I agree with you about offering it when the carpets have expired.. you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig. :roll:

Able 1

Name
Keith
Caduceus said:
Bee Busy said:

Dude, carpet is just a bit different then a flat surface like a car or skillet.. :shock: For upholstery I think it has alot more value then for carpet.

I don't push the stuff...

Name
I'm Rick James
Able 1 said:
Caduceus said:
[quote="Bee Busy":38t5cuj8]i've gone out of my way to tell customers it's BS, which it is...i want the customer to call back for repeat biz and referals

Dude, carpet is just a bit different then a flat surface like a car or skillet.. :shock: For upholstery I think it has alot more value then for carpet.

I don't push the stuff...[/quote:38t5cuj8]

Its the same concept. Having a protective coating between the soil and carpet has many benefits.

Able 1

Name
Keith
If you hand dipped every fiber, which would be the closest comparison it to what the manufacturer does..

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Caduceus said:
Its the same concept. Having a protective coating between the soil and carpet has many benefits.
True.
And the least and lesser of those benefits is the client's.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Caduceus said:
I wax and polish my truck also......my oldest boy has a truck that the clear coat has peeled away and the paint is all faded....it is past protecting...not to mention he lives down a 1/4 mile dirt road...sometimes...you have to look at what your facing....be honest with yourself and decide if it is worth it or not......

I agree with you about offering it when the carpets have expired.. you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig. :roll:[/quote]

I think you guys are making a big mistake by being omnipotent as to your client's needs.

Offer the product to every client by explaining the many benefits.

Do a demo.

Then let the client decide.

When you guys buy shoes do you let the saleman pick out the ones HE thinks YOU need?

Same thing.

Name
I'm Rick James
Able 1 said:
If you hand dipped every fiber, which would be the closest comparison it to what the manufacturer does..

If you properly apply it and groom it into the carpets it pretty darn close. If you're looking to add another $5-10,000+ a year in sales, its a great product to add to your business. I wouldn't sell it if I didnt think it was a legit product..

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Royal Man said:
Brent,

Maybe if you charged more for your "service," you wouldn't have to rely so heavily on "sales."

Because with excellent service (that puts the clients interest first in mind) there is practically not much need for extra sales :p .

Name
I'm Rick James
Ofer Kolton said:
Caduceus said:
True.
And the least and lesser of those benefits is the client's.

You know how much it cost to replace carpet in todays market? Its better they protect one of the largest investments in their house vs premature wear.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Caduceus said:
Able 1 said:

If you properly apply it and groom it into the carpets it pretty darn close.
:roll: Must have some good weed in WA!!!

If you're looking to add another $5-10,000+ a year in sales, its a great product to add to your business. I wouldn't sell it if I didnt think it was a legit product..

Actually I'm looking to add more then that, just not that way..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom