Getting started with a portable.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I haven't weighed it,Rick but I would say about 150lbs. Here's the thing. It doesn't need to go up and down stairs, I have a truck mount for those kind of buildings. The buildings where I use the portable, all have elevators ( maybe that's a new concept where you come from, they are like little cubicles that go up and down inside the buildings that carry people and things) I use a ramp to load it in and out of the truck, very easy. I could do with out a portable and just focus on truck mount work, but that's like turning away free money. For example, I just did a building, 18 stories, with no accessible stairwell for a tm. I charged almost $1800.00 and did it in 2 days. $900.00 a day and when I say a day, I mean about 5 hours, the first day and 3 the next. So almost $225.00 per hour for portable work. I have another twin tower building that has 30 stories each. I have several other complexes with similar layouts. I could just say no but would you?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We would Encap all but the very soiled areas.

Wednesday we cleaned 8,000 sq/ft of hallways. Started at 9:00 and finished by 11:00. (8) man hours but the invoice was $1200.00

It looked great and dried fast, it could have been put back in service if needed.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We would Encap all but the very soiled areas.

Wednesday we cleaned 8,000 sq/ft of hallways. Started at 9:00 and finished by 11:00. (8) man hours but the invoice was $1200.00

It looked great and dried fast, it could have been put back in service if needed.
I am starting to do more encap and I h to to more proficient at it. Some of the buildings I do refuse to have anything but hwe because of poor encap jobs. I hope to change their minds down the road as I have seen great results myself from encapping. I had my brief experience with the old 24 in cimex and although it was a monster, I am already thinking about a new 19 inch. Do you prevac those hallways or is it done for you?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have a seniors residence that I am going to use the brush pro on the hallways. (16) hallways. Their staff uses professional vacuums so I am trying to coordinate the vacuuming for the day before the job. I will be manually spraying ahead of the brush pro. I am looking into fabricating a small tank and spray bar for the brush pro

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We took the Sprayborgs off our Orbots. Better control with an electric sprayer and the system isn't in your way.

You might try a sprayer first before you invest in a spray system.

Name
Nate W.
Collecting dust in the corner is where they really excel. Ummm the machines not Frank or Willy. :biggrin:

Maybe its just me but oddly aren't those names synonyms for the male tool. :eekk:

Sorry...very sorry...merely an observation. :lol:

Takes one to know one? :clap:

I commend @Cleanworks , 8 hours to do 18 floors with a portable... That's pretty amazing... It would take myself and another 3 days with a TM to clean a 12 floors of carpets... Basically had to fix the "in-house maintenance poor attempt at cleaning the uneven floors... Granted we prescrubbed, RX-20, and post padded each floor, setting up and breaking down each day... Each floor was close to 1,500sf and couldn't start before 9am and had to packed up by 230pm... I believe the total job was a little over $5k...

I think I need a new profession because clearly I'm not cut out for this type of work....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Takes one to know one? :clap:

I commend @Cleanworks , 8 hours to do 18 floors with a portable... That's pretty amazing... It would take myself and another 3 days with a TM to clean a 12 floors of carpets... Basically had to fix the "in-house maintenance poor attempt at cleaning the uneven floors... Granted we prescrubbed, RX-20, and post padded each floor, setting up and breaking down each day... Each floor was close to 1,500sf and couldn't start before 9am and had to packed up by 230pm... I believe the total job was a little over $5k...

I think I need a new profession because clearly I'm not cut out for this type of work....
Nowhere as big as that. The halls average 100 to 140 feet x 5 or 6 wide. Not too heavily soiled and vacuumed by janitorial staff usually 1-2 days ahead of cleaning. We prespray with procyon extreme and rinse with procyon plus powder. I carry some spotters on the machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
There is no "best"portable. There's only what's:
  1. Best for the specific business model.
  2. Best for the specific owner and or user.
Once we get more insight from original poster we may be able to help more. Already included in my previous responses.
Personally I am more like Frank. Only difference was that I found the 50' hose (2"), easier to deal with, but my work set up was only high rises (with the portable). And since I used 50 sections with the truck mount, it was just easier.

From now on, consider Frankie to be Ofer approved. That alone may plunge his business to new lows :winky: No worries though, for a "small" fee, Frank, I'll consider removing it.

Good cleaning, low residue, relatively fast drying, don't kill your back as you may need it later on in your career. Most definitely ain't no picking the f#$-ing carpet with the professional equivalent of a tooth pick, like Willy does. Referred to it previously, as the law of diminishing returns.

Though I have nothing but admiration for Willy's doggedly willingness to do what he does. As far as I am concerned, that Canadian Porty Hack (CPH), should triple his charges. Had he been able to partner with the legendary, world famous, (curiously they are all Canadians. Is it the water?), Werner to do his pre-vac- charge should have been ten fold :winky:

Last edited:

rick imby

Name
Rick
I haven't weighed it,Rick but I would say about 150lbs. Here's the thing. It doesn't need to go up and down stairs, I have a truck mount for those kind of buildings. The buildings where I use the portable, all have elevators ( maybe that's a new concept where you come from, they are like little cubicles that go up and down inside the buildings that carry people and things) I use a ramp to load it in and out of the truck, very easy. I could do with out a portable and just focus on truck mount work, but that's like turning away free money. For example, I just did a building, 18 stories, with no accessible stairwell for a tm. I charged almost $1800.00 and did it in 2 days. $900.00 a day and when I say a day, I mean about 5 hours, the first day and 3 the next. So almost $225.00 per hour for portable work. I have another twin tower building that has 30 stories each. I have several other complexes with similar layouts. I could just say no but would you?

Your Elevator filling Porty looks awesome. Frank was talking about having to park 2 blocks away from his walk-ups and roll up. ---The walkups I have seen in eastern cities (of the US) would not be conducive to a TM or a portable machine that is not stair friendly. However if your Monster Porty is 150 pounds it is probably as stair climbable as many of the mini porties with 10-12 gallon capacity.

With the price of so many things in Canada over the top, if you got a good friend discount on the fab of your monster it might not have been a lot more than a standard 12 gallon Mini Porty.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ended up costing $4500.00 but I paid way too much for some things. For example, I had the plumbing and electrical done by a professional. $1800.00. Now that I have it built, I t looks like it could be reproduced for about $2000. Because I have a smaller van 6'4" I fit in th underground parking and just roll to the elevator. I have pulled it up 3 or 4 stairs. Wouldn't want to do more than that without a helper

rick imby

Name
Rick
Collecting dust in the corner is where they really excel. Ummm the machines not Frank or Willy. :biggrin:

Maybe its just me but oddly aren't those names synonyms for the male tool. :eekk:

Sorry...very sorry...merely an observation. :lol:

Seems to me the guys always talkin about their tools aren't getting to use their tools....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
There is no "best"portable. There's only what's:
  1. Best for the specific business model.
  2. Best for the specific owner and or user.
Once we get more insight from original poster we may be able to help more. Already included in my previous responses.
Personally I am more like Frank. Only difference was that I found the 50' hose (2"), easier to deal with, but my work set up was only high rises (with the portable). And since I used 50 sections with the truck mount, it was just easier.

From now on, consider Frankie to be Ofer approved. That alone may plunge his business to new lows :winky: No worries though, for a "small" fee, Frank, I'll consider removing it.

Good cleaning, low residue, relatively fast drying, don't kill your back as you may need it later on in your career. Most definitely ain't no picking the f#$-ing carpet with the professional equivalent of a tooth pick, like Willy does. Referred to it previously, as the law of diminishing returns.

Though I have nothing but admiration for Willy's doggedly willingness to do what he does. As far as I am concerned, that Canadian Porty Hack (CPH), should triple his charges. Had he been able to partner with the legendary, world famous, (curiously they are all Canadians. Is it the water?), Werner to do his pre-vac- charge should have been ten fold :winky:
This is exactly it. There is only what is best for you for the specific job you are doing. You need to take in the size of the job, where your water supply is, how much power is available, etc. Average portable is 10-12 gallons if you need more capacity to run longer before dump and fill, there are some 17 gallon models available. Are you working by your self, do you need to go up and down stairs. More power and capacity=more weight. When it comes to heat, I am a firm believer in adding external heaters rather having one built in to the machine. Leaves you more options and easier to work on machine. There is not one machine best for every job. Some times, even with the most powerful truck mounts, you still need to pre agitate, so much more the case with portables. No matter what the machine, ultimately, it will boil down to the operator.

Name
Marcus
Used both.......
These are advantages of truckmount
Easier setup..only one time to setup
Faster cleaning
3-5 times vacuum
2-3 times water flow
3-4 times the heat
One truckmount with one worker can out clean 3 portables with 3 workers

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Used both.......
Faster cleaning
3-5 times vacuum
2-3 times water flow
3-4 times the heat
Your either are idiot or you can't read. No body ever said that a portable is better than a truck mount. Read a few more pages.

Name
Nate W.
Your either are idiot or you can't read. No body ever said that a portable is better than a truck mount. Read a few more pages.

k9laknza1w6dp5mf0dti.gif

Name
jack zerkie
If your a good carpet cleaner the first thing is knowledge and that comes with time. The tools you use is based on the job itself. You might like to use the same old one ,but you can't, so you use the best at the time. I always use the truckmount ,but if I cant I use the next best tool. The job gets done I get paid and everyone is happy. jz.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Here you go.... I have 4 machines, all in perfect working order. All are 500 psi, dual 3 stage in 3, 3 two stage in the other. I have 2 ninja warriors ( didn't learn the first time :biggrin:), a powrflight perfect heat and a recoil. I don't count the 2 spotting machines. The recoil has auto fill/ dump with chem metering. I never run more than 50 feet off of any machine. I have 2 kleenrite heaters, both 3250 watts over 2 cords as 2000 watt heaters draw too many amps. Both warriors are parallel, the pf is series as is the recoil. All machines can run on 2 circuits, but the kleenrites need 2 other circuits. The powrflight uses the exchangers around the vacs with a 1700 watt heater and outshines them all on heat, gut weak on vacuum. I keep a stock of spare parts as none of the suppliers here have anything in stock and I'm not willing to wait 2 weeks to get a part. They all have good ideas and points, but they all shit to bed too.

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Used both.......
Faster cleaning
3-5 times vacuum
2-3 times water flow
3-4 times the heat

Bullshit and utter ignorance. Sometimes it's best to keep quiet and be thought of as a fool then to type and remove all doubt. You want to make a bet on that? Didn't think so.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Willy,
You are one of the few guys that post that use electric heat with their porties and no generator.

Four circuits is so far over the top for most people that seem to have trouble finding two circuits.
And as I understand it on some jobs you are running two machines---8 circuits---

Like anything else if you get good at using 3/4 circuits it becomes routine.

Do you ever use the 220v / 2-110v adapters in empties?

You are an electrifying guy.....

I am going to assume you are a wand guy and not a rotary extractor guy (5 circuits?). How often do you agitate and what do you use?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A few key words there "if you get good at". :shifty:

Seriously you inadvertently hit the nail on the head. It all comes down to choices within the cleaning pie.

Heat,
no heat, it really doesn't matter. I prefer heat, however if heat comes at the cost of drawing more amperage then no, I don't need it.

Instead I'd use Agitation combined with Dwell time to compensate for the lack of heat. 175, Rotovac, Cimex agitate and rinse.

Name
Nate W.
Rick - I thought you were trolling. My apologies. And Chavez - piss off;)
A few key words there "if you get good at". :shifty:

Seriously you inadvertently hit the nail on the head. It all comes down to choices within the cleaning pie.

Heat,
no heat, it really doesn't matter. I prefer heat, however if heat comes at the cost of drawing more amperage then no, I don't need it.

Instead I'd use Agitation combined with Dwell time to compensate for the lack of heat. 175, Rotovac, Cimex agitate and rinse.

That's not the only thing you compensate with in life.........:yawn:

I use a LG#2 heater or electric heater, I agitate and rv360i... I never compensate, but my time reflects it...:lol:

@Willy P uses a wand and 175 to scrub if needed..

And has anyone in the USA seen a electrical plug on a stove, like some of Willy's pictures? I have never seen one...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom