The future of floor cleaning

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
If the definition of "cleaning" is removing foreign material and contaminants from the floor, counters, tubs, pots 'n pans or leisure suits..
the "standard" isn't a "thought to be" thing.
It's what it is then, now and forever ...it doesn't change

The question is,
is a lesser method not as capable of achieving as "clean" as other methods significant?

..L.T.A.

You're clearly stuck in a mindset which you're entirely welcome to.

With carpet cleaning, we're cleaning a short piece of synthetic fiber. A firehose of water is not required. In most cases (not every situation) a carefully performed low-moisture cleaning will produce fantastic results.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
of course you still need the power to run it

getting closer to fitting in a van....

1670696168532.png

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
In most cases (not every situation) a carefully performed low-moisture cleaning will produce fantastic results.

i suppose to a hack or 50%er that's never "carefully performed" a mechanical scrub and extract could consider it "fantastic" results

PEE-ESSS
I've bonnet cleaned since 1990 with that lighter fluid smell Argosheen
Then switched when polymer encrappos with both bonnets and VCT type pads
rotary and shake 'n shine machines
Short stint with Von Shrader too

I'm no stranger to VLM

..L.T.A.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
build an Electric TM that can compare to a Gas fueled TM? Cant be done. *Follow the science* (I heard that phrase from someone famous)
Why a 45? If you pull a shorter distance you don't need that size.

I still miss the Steam Genie portable that had a tiny positive displacement blower. It would need modernizing, and slimming down from 120 pounds, but was perfectly capable of decent cleaning.

Decades ago HydraMaster built the HydraStation, a very large "portable truckmount" that required 240v and a load ramp. Put it on the 17th floor and clean 3 floors up or down.

In 30 years or so, if gas powered truckmounts don't exist and carpet is still a thing, portables will be the answer rather than building a 1,000 pound machine sitting in a full-size van outside. Portables are already far better than a few years ago, and if they become the primary industry tool they'll be made even better,

PS: That will be plenty of time to show CARB mandates are misguided, so probably no panic required.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
There's too much thinking "outside" the box here with the future of maintaining floors. The electric portables and truck mounts need to be thought of as part of the building.

Let's say you have a 6 floor apartment or office complex in the city. It might be a good idea to have vacuum and hot water fittings installed in the center point of each floor with the recovery reservoir tank on the bottom floor. So all you'd need is 100ft. of hose and a wand to carry with you to the floor you're working on.

If some EPA law is passed on our industry 50years from now, maybe the building codes will adapt too. I've been in homes with normal carpet vacuum systems installed. And that was 20-30years ago

Reactions: AlienAgent

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Why a 45? If you pull a shorter distance you don't need that size.

I still miss the Steam Genie portable that had a tiny positive displacement blower. It would need modernizing, and slimming down from 120 pounds, but was perfectly capable of decent cleaning.

Decades ago HydraMaster built the HydraStation, a very large "portable truckmount" that required 240v and a load ramp. Put it on the 17th floor and clean 3 floors up or down.

In 30 years or so, if gas powered truckmounts don't exist and carpet is still a thing, portables will be the answer rather than building a 1,000 pound machine sitting in a full-size van outside. Portables are already far better than a few years ago, and if they become the primary industry tool they'll be made even better,

PS: That will be plenty of time to show CARB mandates are misguided, so probably no panic required.
The biggest downfall of portables in highrise common area cleaning or large indoor offices, is the availability of a suitable water hook up and dump site. In high rise condo buildings, often the only water is a small sink in the amenity room. A 12 gallon portable is capable of doing maybe 2 hallways until you have to empty and refill. This is where machines like the Phoenix shine. I bring all my water premixed with the appropriate solution.

Mikey P

Administrator
Hydromaster put some donuts into lectro TM R&D with the X-Drive .
Would seem a poor choice right now though, given you need to run the van engine for hot water and to power the gen that feeds the lectro needs

BUTT....might put them ahead of the game as EV tech 'n battery advances continue

.L.T.A.

Pretty sure the XDrive has been X'd

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Pretty sure the XDrive has been X'd

my "non insider" finger-in-the-wind-o-meter says it will be back IF they can get van manufactures to "OK" new van warranty for hanging a mega generator and HX system on the nu-age cargo vans.

I'm going "guess" that's one of the major stumbling blocks (warranty) to DD's in the nouveau vans??

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
my "non insider" finger-in-the-wind-o-meter says it will be back IF they can get van manufactures to "OK" new van warranty for hanging a mega generator and HX system on the nu-age cargo vans.

I'm going "guess" that's one of the major stumbling blocks (warranty) to DD's in the nouveau vans??

..L.T.A.
That and too many perplexing inherant issues that they could never get right.
Not to say a different engineer couldn't figure it out...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolly Llama

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

The Xdrive is warranted in Ford Transits. They have a transverse engine and there's room for the generator in the engine bay.

They still advertise it and dealers still sell it, although if sales are slow I could see it go into hibernation. It's $8,000 more expensive than a CDS, so the main reason to buy it would be if you wanted a high-roof or extended Transit.

That and too many perplexing inherant issues that they could never get right.
Not to say a different engineer couldn't figure it out...
That happened quite a while ago. You been listening to competitor's whisperers?

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
One day at a time
8CA81F19-7C52-4E48-A777-44B2F41181D1.jpeg

Ever get the feeling your being watched? Scroll in on the background outside. 15 yds.

E6FC96EC-0621-40FD-A9C7-71C7CE8AC1CB.jpeg

Reactions: Condog

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I want you to think back, all of you, not just Larry of how many jobs you've done over the years that had a few to the horrendous amount of pet stains, yet it didn't smell bad.

Do you really think the owner was calling thinking that it was possible to flush all that urine out of the carpet, the backing the pad and the subfloor and they could start fresh with Mrs. Ficklebottom or SeniorBojangles or did they really just want the carpet to look better?

This will piss plenty of you off and most of you HWE die hards aren't capable of comprehending it, but water claws, vacuum site tubes and wand windows along with our I'm a carpet cleaning superhero that doesn't understand gravity mentality, are responsible for creating a horrendous amount of disgusting bacteria even worse than what the rotting urine created in our customers homes.
No they all know except a few idiots, that they all say just do your best.

It does help to say I would have to pull carpet, replace padding, and replace subfloor or seal it.

Then and only then would I have a 80% guarantee......

Buy new carpet or flooring, as for the didn't smell bad, it was probably dormant until wet.

Any wetting will activate the shtink.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
They get 80% of their money back if it still stinks, has stains or an insane bacteria count?
Thats a qualifying question, no process can fix or solve.

Ps I usually don't create problems in a customers home, I try and solve them.

They usually already have a problem when I get there.

But in cases where there is a lot of pee I recommend replacing.

If they say just do the best you can, I will.

It won't be worse then it was.

Just ask Lisa and her pugs, when she would quatalot the smell down for a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
What feeds the bacteria? moisture, when it's dry and dormant which probably only happens in drier climates deserts and such, it doesn't smell.

Wetting reactivates the urine salts and release the ammonia sell and
looking anyways...
So you won't use clo2? Or a quat?

Condog

Name
Tony
I talked with an engineer who works for an Arizona water utility company.
Regarding water from the Colorado River, in Arizona and other western states, new water limits go into effect after the new year.

In our conversation he said the water levels are so low that soon two dams on the Colorado River will not have enough water flow to operate the dams to generate electricity.

If water restraints are in place, you have to have your head in the sand to think restrictions will not be put in effect to restrain the use of hot water carpet cleaning.
VLM needs water to wash the pads, but I think even that will be expensive.

There's so much going on, it's hard to know what is legit and what is hyperbole. But this guy wasn't trying to hype anything.

No time to read through 4 pages, sorry if I repeat someone else.

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom