What causes pile reversal?

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
While there has been a great deal of money spent on this subject there is still no conclusive evidence. It can exist on any type of installation but is most prone on wool and cut pile carpet. The best way to prove that it is water marking, pile reversal is to use the roll paper test and watch the paper move In a different direction.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I was told in a carpet cleaning class that it is caused by the airflow in a home and not by foot traffic.
What do you guys think causes it?

Airflow..........????????.....that's a first for me.....glad I was not in that class..I would of been kicked out for laughing so much..............

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys;

I’m not going to comment on what all guesses that have caused this, except one. A fellow Inspector wrote a "brilliant" article on how he proved it was caused by static charges. I had to prove it to myself; because he had not claimed the money that could be made off of the proven finding. So I bought a $400 static meter, it's the same one that he mentioned designed for television tubes. Bottom-line, nonsense.....

I will sell the meter for $200. Any takers?

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Can we please have the name of the instructor that teaches airflow as a cause for pile reversal??
Just to make sure none of us or our guys end up in his class....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Hi Guys;

I’m not going to comment on what all guesses that have caused this, except one. A fellow Inspector wrote a "brilliant" article on how he proved it was caused by static charges. I had to prove it to myself; because he had not claimed the money that could be made off of the proven finding. So I bought a $400 static meter, it's the same one that he mentioned designed for television tubes. Bottom-line, nonsense.....

I will sell the meter for $200. Any takers?

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

The static electicity explanation, actually makes the most sense from all other explanations.

I'll pass on the generous meter offer, but feel free to send some kitkats :icon_razz:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
There have been discussions on causes that were much worse. I was at a CRI Tech conference where one speaker talked about using a witching stick to identify the causes. What we do know is that it seems to be environmental in nature. If you ever fly through Portland Or airport you will see the whole airport suffers from watermarking.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have proof it's foot traffic.

Anyone that wants my PDF report and documented photo's can have it for only $10.00 (that's what Fred charges me per instance to change my screen name).

Yep it shows a carpet that never got walked on has no pile reversal and the one that had foot traffic has pile reversal. :icon_razz:

Just send Fred C. the $10.00 and I'll get to change my name faster.
:winky:

steve_64

come on guys, hes confusing pile reversal with soil filtration lines. theres a lot to take in, in a class that bombs you with information.

my question is, did you take a test after the class? if not then it was a lecture and not a class.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I'm working out of town today, but have just walked out of such a job. High end 100% wool cut pile tufted.

Ill put some photos up later on.

If it was static or airflow, why does it sometimes stop at joins and not continue through into the next width of carpet.

This client has a personal friend high up in Bayer chemicals dealing primarily on the leather side, but he said that he is aware of a product that if applied during manufacture will prevent this occurring. Now that's a pretty big claim, so when he gets back from China, I have asked her to pass on my card and I wish to talk to him further about that claim and be interested in what testing has been done etc.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Nobody has a clue, and everybody is commenting.

Sorta like advertising threads.

A difinative answer is well above my pay grade Mr Bacon. Like Dale says, if someone does come up with a difinative cause and or even a permanent cure, they will set up their retirement fund very quickly!!

Maybe you should share your wealth of knowledge on the subject, we're all waiting with baited breath, not expecting anything but hogs breath!

Jack :)

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Here is an explanation I heard in a class quite a few years ago taught by a cat name Ron Toney. I can't remember where Ron got his info but he just passed it on to us. He mentioned that a study was done and it was found to be caused by groundwater and the electrical charge that running water creates.

Like the grade school science experiment where you turn on the water faucet to a small steady stream and magnetize a comb by running it through your hair. If you get it close to the running water you can see the water bend toward the charged part of the comb. The "study" showed that the same thing happened to carpet installed directly above groundwater.

Wish I could actually see the report on that study. If there is one LOL. Seems like a plausible explanation on carpet installed on a slab with no crawl space. But, what about about 2nd. story installations? Surely the charge of running water isn't strong enough to affect carpet installed eight feet or more above the ground.

Anyway, interesting hypothesis but not too believable.

Last edited:
Name
Steve Lawrence
I think it's caused by uneven tension in the backing which transfers to the surface pile over time making adjacent pile areas lay in different directions.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hell, whatda ya know he really did! Micah I assume you wanted (10) of them since the PayPal came for $100.00 instead of $10.00. SWEET, a years worth of name changing. Thanks again! :rockon:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Micah in those cases its the magnetism of people combing their hair thats affecting the carpet fibers. Its all in my PDF! :razz:
Richard, I have a dillema.

Shall I spend my money on your PDF.
Or...am I better off watching Merty's show. (You would have known, had you not been lax in watching the Disney channel.)
Merty joined the muppets.
He currently travels with them as their top notch Kermit impersonator.

Name
Fred H
Can we please have the name of the instructor that teaches airflow as a cause for pile reversal??
Just to make sure none of us or our guys end up in his class....
the class I referred to was in 1998 I cannot recall the instructors name.I don't think you have anything to fear

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm so very sorry but due to the incredible demand I find myself in an awkward postion of helping my fellow cleaners or making a little coin.

Ok who's kidding who, I've spent many a sleepless night over this and well..........ya just can't spend friendship.

Sooo once only available in Europe but now through this exclusive offer you, yes YOU, can obtain this life changing (and fiber direction changing) Pile Reversal PDF ® for the low, low,LOW price of $10.00 *Shipping and handling an additional $10.00

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Permanent Pile reversal from this morning's job.
IMG_9422.jpg

IMG_9421.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

I was there looking at filtration soiling claim.
IMG_9415.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

John

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
who promotes useing charged water to clean carpets? maybe its a side effect of some cleaning methode.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
The carpets above are 3 years old and uncleaned.

My last claim was a similar situation but only a year and uncleaned.

I have heard someone say that if it appears in a doorway, place a piece of teh same carpet beyond the doorway and the same line will continue. I guess that doesn't eliminate many of the theories above, but I find it interesting in the photos above that the PPR didn't continue over the join in the carpet.

John

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
You're all wrong.

It's caused by the aliens, altering the global warming spectrum, which is affecting the core magnetism and transferring to the earth's crust.

This in turn competes against the current currents in the sea as they in turn are affected by the various phases of the moon.

The whole lot is put out of scientific whack by the numerous typhoons, hurricanes, cyclones and tsunamis that batter the air, land and sea extremities.

The resultant rise and fall of barometric pressures, pushes and pulls the various fibres in the direction that the aliens wish them to go, so as to further confuse you mere mortals, or earthlings, as we prefer to call you.

Carpets in most airports, if one concentrates, can be seen to be affected by this phenomenal perception as noted in Howard's Law Ch117 V1:14.

Another feature that we have continually frustrated you earthlings with, is our concentric circles and parallel lines in paddocks of maize, etc;

We love to play games, friendly and hate men in black. :very_drunk:

FredC

Village Idiot
I would request a gravity map for that one in the pics.....or just have the owner stand in each spot and ask if they feel lighter:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom