What's going on with Procyon?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Tide was once the go-to product used in rug cleaning plants. Pallet loads of 80 pound sacks of "P&G Blue." The cleaners relied on the unbuffered alkalinity to drop in contact with acidic soil, plus they used to use a huge volume of rinse water.

Rugs that bled were just "badly made garbage" and no one thought twice about telling the customer that.

Tom Forsythe

I like the idea of encapping with powder products like GD, Carpet Details, Ect, but don't feel comfortable encapping without a polymer. My concerns are, Do the polymer encaps leave a better appearance (at least initially) and stay cleaner longer? And do the powders leave more of a residue in the form of salts that would be noticeable to the client??
I recently worked on developing a real encap powder. I was able to create a formula with 10% polymer and 90% powder. The problem is that the residue is 90% powder 10% polymer. A phosphate residue does nothing to limit re-soiling after the original cleaning. The good thing about phosphate is that it is readily rinsed away. Essentially I concluded that powdered formulas fulfill the cleaning function of an encapsulate, but do not contribute to the second function of soil resistance. A true encapsulate should do both. We should just called powdered formulas low moisture cleaners. https://blog.aramsco.com/encapsulation-balancing-cleaning-and-soil-resistance

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I recently worked on developing a real encap powder. I was able to create a formula with 10% polymer and 90% powder. The problem is that the residue is 90% powder 10% polymer. A phosphate residue does nothing to limit re-soiling after the original cleaning. The good thing about phosphate is that it is readily rinsed away. Essentially I concluded that powdered formulas fulfill the cleaning function of an encapsulate, but do not contribute to the second function of soil resistance. A true encapsulate should do both. We should just called powdered formulas low moisture cleaners. https://blog.aramsco.com/encapsulation-balancing-cleaning-and-soil-resistance

We just received a call from a cleaner who says he "encaps" with Prochem Dry Slurry. He seems to think if you spray something on a carpet, then brush it in with a Brush Pro, that's "encapping".

:icon_rolleyes:

I have to work on my store manager's tact. He was less than kind with the guy.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We just received a call from a cleaner who says he "encaps" with Prochem Dry Slurry. He seems to think if you spray something on a carpet, then brush it in with a Brush Pro, that's "encapping".

Low moisture cleaning with "dry" slurry.

Name
Jeff T

It’s ok Jim, I pick up new residential, and commercial contracts almost daily, where the ‘other guy’ does EXACTLY the same thing….

Like shooting fish in a 5 gallon bucket….. with no water in it…

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
But on the side of a powdered chemspec 90 container it said it dries into a powder residue that could be vacuumed up.

Or it did at one time

So in theory yes it could be a ENCRAP

Regardless any encrap doesn't vacuum out.................ALL BS MARKETING

• Wow
Reactions: SamIam and Willy P

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Just bought a gallon liquid Procyon Extreme to try. Four oz./gallon. $37.99.

Anybody aware of any difference in performance between powder vs liquid?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What's the difference between powder and liquid? What dilution and rate do you use the powder for rinse?
The powder can be used as an extraction rinse at 2 ounces per 10 gallons in a portable or metered through your truck mount. Does a great job removing soils that your prespray has loosened as well as the prespray itself. You can use the powder as a prespray as well but I find it easier to use the liquid as there is less chance of clogging up the hydra-force. Recommended dilution is on the product. Here we have very soft water so I use a little less than recommended. I use it on 90% of my residential. I switch my prespray to Code Red on trashed or commercial but still rinse with plus powder. Procyon should send me a case for free for all my referrals.

Reactions: Johnny
Name
Bill Soukoreff
What's the difference between powder and liquid? What dilution and rate do you use the powder for rinse?
I’ve never used Procyon as a rinse. For what’s it’s worth, Ivan told me he would only use Extreme. There is an ingredient that only extreme has that makes it a bit better than all the others. Extreme and peroxide is a great combination. That said I haven’t used Procyon for several years, but Ron still does.

Reactions: Johnny

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Green Dragon and Carpet Details include a bonding agent.

I’ve dried down Green Dragon. Dries to a crystal.

Doesn’t really encapsulated like a polymer, but the crystallization attaches to leftover soil.

Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator

You sound shocked...

Saiger has people using his super duper pre-spray as an encap and he isn't rude to them...

Reactions: SamIam

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
That’s because Saiger has a happy pill
I wish I had a happy pill

C1B7140C-DEB9-4F62-9BC2-9D6CAEF6D849.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Willy P and hogjowl

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
That’s because Saiger has a happy pill
I wish I had a happy pill

You and Dave would like each other.

He's a fine fellow, works hard for me, and since he ran our cleaning company for several years, he knows his stuff.

But he doesn't suffer fools gladly.

In fact, he's happy to call them a fool....or an idiot.

My favorite line I will overhear him saying to someone who screwed something up:

"What's wrong with you?"

:biggrin:

Tom Forsythe

Green Dragon and Carpet Details include a bonding agent.

I’ve dried down Green Dragon. Dries to a crystal.

Doesn’t really encapsulated like a polymer, but the crystallization attaches to leftover soil.
Crystallization comes from some surfactants which dry down nicely and whose residue would naturally stick to soil. I have done several experiments with encapsulation. My conclusion is that the crystallization comes from certain surfactants. Recently, I took our basic formula (which we never cared if it crystalized), added two surfactants (one we had used for over 20 years) and a new solvent and had crystalline residue which would even make Rick happy. The proof, however, is in the cleaning and soil resistance, and not the form of the residue.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom