How do you decide which PTO is best for you and which is a better machine?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Space saving, ease of operation being low and high settings. Plus everything is accessible in event you would need to work on it. Heat exchanger is common sense. Chemical injection is stupid simple.

No fancy smancy relays and crap on them. Reminds me of the older cars, remember the ones we used to be able to maintenance ourselves.

If you cant turn a wrench or operate channel locks you have no business owning a mount in the first place. Back to Von Schrader for yuns : )

Personally, we looked at mounts all across the east coast, and put our money on the fact if something catastrophic went wrong with it, we could fix it quickly without having to special order some crazy parts. Standardization!

Changed the 3 belts in about 10min the other day : )

Reactions: ruff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Bob, not being mechanically inclined, I may not use the right terminology. The CDS has a metal shaft? that connects to the van's engine. It has 4 greasing nipples. Which are hard to reach and require opening the cabin's motor cover. And regarding your".....in all the years of running shaft driven units.......
i've NEVER seen one that you have to "grease"..they all use sealed bearing......."
- Evidently "all them years" may have not been enough.

So give some real info about your machine or other. Less fluff, more stuff.

Or, since I just finished helping the wife with the horses, surely even you can understand Bob- Could you please give me less manure, please.

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Changed the 3 belts in about 10min the other day : )
Shawn........who's idea was that to set up the two eccentrics on the belts........early models ran straight to the pump an' blower.......was that yor idea.......lie to me...make me feel good......:clap:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If you cant turn a wrench or operate channel locks you have no business owning a mount in the first place. Back to Von Schrader for yuns : )

Well then................I didn't know Chris/Cat. I should have been informed beforehand.
where should I send all the money I've made?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
So what is max psi of these units, coming from tile and grout majority work
I see aero tech is 1600
I know less availability of BTU = copper = lo psi ratings

And are all avaliable in Chevy spartin box truck, SRW

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Thanks Mark.
I love your set up and your van wrap is outstanding.
I wish butler would do some changes in their design. The 210 recovery tank is a nice convenience, however, here in the city we can connect to the sewer and dump after every job. So,though convenient, it is not necessary and the loss of storage capacity for me is a deal breaker. In general Butler's lay out IMHO does not use space very efficiently. I carry a lot more chemicals and equipment than you, unfortunately the large trucks do not work well in San Francisco. I have a long Sprinter (Apex) and it is very hard to find parking.

Hi Offer,

I went and looked at my pics and I must have had the van stripped out that day...LOL.. It is usually so packed that you would not have been able to see in the back typically.

I usually have an RX 20 in the back, around 80 different cleaning products on the shelves, A CRB machine, the water softener of course permanently set, a Vacuum cleaner, sometimes my hard surface spinner, a bag of spotting items, extra water lines (in case I break one from the main reel or need extra) and who know how much more...

I am the same, that in a lot of my places I service, I could not get into them with a box truck. The extended vans are a big help. Would be cool if a Sprinter type van ever came about that could be used with the Butler systems for me, but for now, we are doing well with the units we have.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
anything that is run off the van is going the way of the doe doe bird because of changing emissions and fuel mileage requirments.

Reactions: Larry Cobb

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Steve, I wouldn't count them out till the fat dodo lady sings :winky:

Doyle and a few others chipped in here (MB) and said that they will continue making them. Not sure exactly why the new emissions and mileage will necessarily have to make them extinct. They will definitely pollute less than some of those small slide in engines (unless those as a separate machine will not be under the regulations.)

It will be nice if some PTO manufacturer's will join this discussion and inform us.

Chris A

Name
Chris
cds has zerks on the shaft extension and pillow blocks bawb, also right up behind the clutch.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
It appears that he thinks he can build a better PTO but all I see on his website are lawnmower driven tm's. ???? You know, everyone's a crictic.
Its always easy to talk the talk but walk the walk.......

We have produced several REAL diesel PTO's . . .

that did not use electric clutches, to drive the blower and pump.

We decided we would concentrate on slide-ins that could be moved from truck to truck.

With the new Federal MPG requirements,
I think vans will end up with more transverse engines.

Can anybody show me one . . . with a PTO installed ?

Larry

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
a zerk fitting....if the bearing is inserted from the end...
how does the grease get inside the bearing and i only could imagine the mess from the flying grease all over......thus the need for a cover!

no no....i meant REAL PTO'S....:lol:

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Shaft to Machine. Inside van looking towards front.
View attachment 2621

Open right door, reach in and flip it on. Go in and around fans, its open to the hose reels between the tanks. Theres 10gal of Rinse, 2 gal deodorizer pump up and a 360i in there now. 2 Dehumidifiers fit, or big shop vac normally. Roomy :)
View attachment 2622

Would love to run the hoses through back door.
View attachment 2623

Remove AC, install adapter plate, stuff the shaft through, mount it. Remount AC then visit your auto supplier for a new Serp Belt.
View attachment 2626

We Love ours : )

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
You guys do realize they use pto's in other industries right?

LOL, not going anywhere...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
They may not use PTO's in Larry's succeeding lone state of Texas.

Could it be the reason they don't want to stay in the Union any longer? :winky:

Nice set up Chris, thanks.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That's good to know.

So...............which is the best PTO and why?

And this is a call for the missing in action:
Hydramaster?
Butler?
Cleanco?
Saphire?
Anybody else?

Tell us more about your design and advantages. Don't be shy. We won't bite.
Hopefully :shifty:.

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
You guys do realize they use pto's in other industries right?

With a transfer case , sure enough
but what other applications use the engine's serp belt?
Might be some, i just can't think of any???

BTW, for the record, I do think Cobby's prediction of the death of direct drive TMs is little more than speculative hyperbole,
it ain't gonna happen in the near future ..
"maybe" 10 years from now the DD will be something different than we're used to , but as long as there's a market for them, they'll be around 'foevah" in one form or another

Sorry Ofer for the thread shift...but you already know I'm incorrigible

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Larry Cobb

Chris A

Name
Chris
With a transfer case , sure enough
but what other applications use the engine's serp belt?
Might be some, i just can't think of any???

BTW, for the record, I do think Cobby's prediction of the death of direct drive TMs is little more than speculative hyperbole,
it ain't gonna happen in the near future ..
"maybe" 10 years from now the DD will be something different than we're used to , but as long as there's a market for them, they'll be around 'foevah" in one form or another

Sorry Ofer for the thread shift...but you already know I'm incorrigible

..L.T.A.

Im hoping to see something based off the duramax/allison or 6.7 powerstroke truck platform, like the newer ambulances are going to.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
WOW zerks on a driveshaft.......what next...relief valves on a waste tank....lol?
any dumbass knows that a double row sealed bearing is the right way ta go............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom