Reliabuilt Truckmounts?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I've said this for years;
Any truckmount is only as reliable as the sum of its parts...

Why does it seem like SO MANY of the "Texas Mounts" are lemons? I personally refer to them as "Northern Tool Mounts"
Suffering from "Built on a Monday" Syndrome.

Think about it, they are JUST square tube frames, with the same or similar motors, pumps, blowers.
The only real variables are weld quality, alignment, and how many miles of hoses they use to try and control the water temperature.

They cannot be selling anywhere NEAR as many as the Big Three TM mfgs... yet an OVERWHELMING number of them have major engine/blower/pump issues, vs the Big MFG's
They don't make those components; they slap them on their frame and call it done.

The issue is, they need to make a profit, but don't have the BUYING POWER of the Big Three , so, they turn to Northern tool, who HAS the buying power, who also accepts a much, MUCH, MUUUUCH higher percentage failure rate from the products they buy, than the Big Three do, because they don't care, if they sell a Brigs 23hp engine, and it fails, who looks bad? Briggs.

If Sapphire sells a TM, and the Briggs engine fails, THEY look bad.

SO, Texas Joe wants to buy 30 - Kohler 23.5hp motors at a discount of $100 each, Northern tool is more than happy to sell them the Kohler units "Built on a Monday", It's the same friggin motor, but I'll guarantee you they are units thrown on an assembly line moving 2x faster, by a totally different crew.

Other major problems; are that they are a revolving door of model designs, no one unit is identical to the next, each customer is the Beta tester of that unit...
Alignment issues, poorly crimped hoses... and enough of them to stretch around the earth several times.

But... you have other so-called "Garage units"... I won't insult Judson by including them in this category, so Ill refer to anything herein as "Small batch" units.

You very rarely if ever hear of any issues... They have consistent designs, (Not changing hardly at all in 40 years in Judsons case)...
They aren't trying to blow units out at the cheapest price, so they a buying their components from better sources.

Interesting hypothesis about varying quality of same engines. Proof?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
In the pudding.

Just wondering how you reached your conclusion. You could help this industry by citing examples or providing other evidence. I have no dog in this fight. But I may, some day, need to replace a Kohler.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Your really missing out if you don't get a mount from this guy. He's a dying breed. Buying a mount from Casey has been has been hands down the best experience in truck mount purchasing that I everrrrr had. I put the whole amount down That's how much I trusted him, after talking with him for an hour. Ive been doing this for 30 years . I use my gut on most issues. you 'll never meet any one like Casey, he calls every finished truck mount his babies, He takes the greatest pride in his workmanship. To be frank I'm ashamed of you my fellow carpet cleaners for being so bull headed and judge mental. Its not easy what Casey is doing ,trying to get a start in this business. he needs our support don't tear anyone down unless you have the facts, you could be missing out. By the way my mount that he built according to my needs is nothing but kick assss. thanks CASEY. CLIFFINATOR.
I paid dearly for the RIGHT to be "judgemental". You don't know what you don't know. You will find out some of what you don't know later, and then wish otherwise.

Reactions: rick imby
Name
Lee Stockwell
Briggs and Stratton has a plant here, employing many of my customers. They make excellent engines for their market. That market isn't carpet cleaning machines or any high hour industrial or commercial application.

They make motors for lawn mowers. Different specs and build requirements in many key areas.

Lawn mower engines in the larger sizes often overlap the sizes used in truckmounts, welders, and other portable commercial equipment. While they will "work" they won't be nearly as reliable as the more expensive motors made for heavy duty continuous applications.

Guess which motors get used by garage builders?

Name
Haylie Lewis
It's easy to find a B-stock engine online.

Identical to all other engines produced in the same batch or SN run, the only difference is the length of warranty support (if any) from the manufacturer.

You will always pay more for an engine that carries a 3 year commercial warranty- doesn't mean it was produced any different than a B-stock engine.

The reason "Small Batch" units fail so often, simply stated is bad engineering and user abuse.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
The reason "Small Batch" units fail so often, simply stated is bad engineering and user abuse.
Agree and would add lack of Dealer support. Dealers sell what they have to sell and have sold plenty of junk name-brand machines. Someone said that these major manufacturers stand behind their machines...well, not always. Some have been sending Cleaners and Dealers to the engine/blower/pump manufacturers directly...passing the buck. The Major Manufacturers have opened the door to competition. Someone will eventually break through with a machine Cleaners like.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Low price rarely means value. Anything of value costs more not less?
Don't fool yourself, you pay less, you get less. If they could get more for their units, don't you think they would ask for it.

Buy cheap if you want but know what you are getting. You're not saving, you're choosing to buy less.

There is no right or wrong way to do it. Its up to you the level of pain & frustration you're will to accept in the name of saving money.

Reactions: Able 1

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Don't fool yourself, you pay less, you get less. If they could get more for their units, don't you think they would ask for it.

Buy cheap if you want but know what you are getting. You're not saving, you're choosing to buy less.

There is no right or wrong way to do it. Its up to you the level of pain & frustration you're will to accept in the name of saving money.
If you just started your business all over and had only $8k to spend on a truck mount, which one would you buy?

hogjowl

Idiot™

Never heard that from a Mexican before.

Reactions: rick imby

grizzley

Name
Tim
Briggs and Stratton has a plant here, employing many of my customers. They make excellent engines for their market. That market isn't carpet cleaning machines or any high hour industrial or commercial application.

They make motors for lawn mowers. Different specs and build requirements in many key areas.

Lawn mower engines in the larger sizes often overlap the sizes used in truckmounts, welders, and other portable commercial equipment. While they will "work" they won't be nearly as reliable as the more expensive motors made for heavy duty continuous applications.

Guess which motors get used by garage builders?

Thats Odd.......Vanguard engines specifically state that they are commercial and industrial engines specifically designed for heavy duty continuous applications.......At least thats exactly what the website says..........

Reactions: hogjowl

grizzley

Name
Tim
... Engine manufacturers in general do not have an engine specifically designated for carpet cleaning equipment. They have commercial engines and consumer engines thats it. The engines sold at North Star are the exact same engines that was sold to everyone else at one time or another, but basically they get a deal on overstock items or when the manufacturer makes a change on the equipment.. Folks have issues with any machine if proper maintenance, or start up and shut down procedures arent followed.

grizzley

Name
Tim
Now be like Saiger shoot a video of it cleaning and running. Dirty carpet preferably

Had a few request to see some close ups of the tm and to see it running so I'll take a few videos tomorrow........This is a production machine in the rental industry, typically cleaning 10-15 a day so I wont have a problem finding some dirty carpet.......

Able 1

Name
Keith
If you just started your business all over and had only $8k to spend on a truck mount, which one would you buy?

If I only had 8k to spend on a truck mount, I wouldn't get into this business.. Actually, I bought mine mostly on a no interest credit card. I bought my Peak 11 years ago it is still my most reliable unit!

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My first purchase was a steam genie sgs36

36 blower #3 little giant it was a great single wand machine.

Sold it and went back behind a desk. When I was ready to start again I got a used prochem 150 in a used van the guy hooked me up 10k $400 a month for 3 years.

It didn't take long until I sold that and got a legend, a year later a got a deal on a 405 with the van financed by GMAC zero down zero interest 72 months $660 a month van and machine that's was the best deal
I ever got.

Reactions: grizzley

grizzley

Name
Tim
Good luck with warranty service.
Absolutely makes no sense at all.......Honestly. Look at the factual data. The big guys typically just tack a few grand to the price of the machine for a "inhouse warranty" and then sell to distributors. The distributors tack on a few grand depending on the machine purchased for their commission. So, a large portion of your purchase is nothing more than a warranty to cover component warranty that you have anyways and to pay jondon or bridgepoint or whoever the opportunity to sell it to you..........Or you can keep that coin in your pocket, and if anything does happen, just work on it yourself........But I get it, some folks are die hard and loyal to the brand of their choosing. Aint nothing wrong with that at all. Lee, didnt you build some tm's? If so, since you built them, and not SS, were they junk?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
image.jpeg

Besides picking this up
In 2011 for $9500 cash

grizzley

Name
Tim
My first purchase was a steam genie sgs36

36 blower #3 little giant it was a great single wand machine.

Sold it and went back behind a desk. When I was ready to start again I got a used prochem 150 in a used van the guy hooked me up 10k $400 a month for 3 years.

It didn't take long until I sold that and got a legend, a year later a got a deal on a 405 with the van financed by GMAC zero down zero interest 72 months $660 a month van and machine that's was the best deal
I ever got.

I just bought a E350 with 40k miles while the TM was being built......Paid cash for both........Been in business for a little while, and figure its just easier to finance my own business and pay myself back with interest.

Able 1

Name
Keith
What did you pay for the van, and what is the TM going to cost?
I just bought a E350 with 40k miles while the TM was being built......Paid cash for both........Been in business for a little while, and figure its just easier to finance my own business and pay myself back with interest.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I was just wondering.. I picked up an Apex(900 hours) in a 1 ton with 43,000 mile for $23,000(this was probably like 6 years ago and it's still running strong with 4,700 hours).. I would get a used big name unit over a brand new no name unit any day..

Name
Lee Stockwell
20 years ago built a dozen or so all ss electric machines. Bane equivalents.

Bought two 25/47 machines in 2001 similar to yours. Nowhere near as good as the several 405s we got used.

We heard all the same pitches you are saying. The little men in TX are still making them.

Talk to me in 3 or 4 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom